Windows 7

General discussion

boot disk for Windows 7

by windows1230 / November 27, 2009 3:24 AM PST

Now that Windows 7 is officially in the market, what is the best and smartest way of creating a recovery and/or boot disk in case the computer crashes? Should the disk be created right after buying a computer with windows 7 installed or can it be created any time?

I have not bought a computer with Windows 7 yet, so does Windows 7 allow the option to create a recovery/boot disk in its software?

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: boot disk for Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: boot disk for Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Varies with maker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 3:59 AM PST

The HP here has no less than 2 recovery media to create. The first is a boot and repair DVD. The second is a set of media to restore to factory.

Remember there is NO STANDARD HERE. The makers can change this with each model. And if you built your own then you have your Windows 7 DVD which you can duplicate just in case.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Varies with maker
by windows1230 / November 27, 2009 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: Varies with maker.

I do not think I will have my own Windows 7 DVD. I am thinking of buying a computer with Windows 7 preinstalled, so I will not have the Win7 DVD myself. But I want to be able to boot and repair the computer if it crashes.

So with your make/model, HP had given you 2 recovery medias when you bought your HP computer or did you create the 2 medias yourself? Sorry, did not understand. Does your Windows 7 software allow you to create your own boot and repair DVD and restore to factory settings?

If I burn my own DVD of Win7, what is the option I pick to burn it? Will it just be burned as a "Data" media or something else?

Collapse -
Again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Varies with maker

What this machine did is not very interesting. It will not be the same on each machine.

"If I burn my own DVD of Win7, what is the option I pick to burn it? Will it just be burned as a "Data" media or something else?"

There should be NO CHOICES HERE. I know this may be hard to accept but in consumer products you can't allow any choices for a few easy reasons. We'd have to discuss product development and support to explain this but let's just say "no." It will make restore media and that's it.
Bob

Collapse -
Not to raise the dead.....
by Ignis Lunae / March 31, 2010 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Again.

but many people still check these old posts for answer to questions as windows 7 will be around for awhile.

To answer the previous question, I belive he meant to make a copy of the actual dvd disc. In which case, your normal burning software will probably not do. I know for a fact that my Nero 9 will not copy any dvd that it copy protected. I wont go into the dvd video section, but needless to say you'll prolly have to to hunt around for a another utility if you normal software won't copy it.

Now if you were curious about backing up your data... I can help a bit more. I have 2 hidden partitions on my system, one like yours, and a larger 12Gb one that I have so far assumed contains the recovery section of my windows 7 install. As of March 2010, this may be something they all have now, I dont know, but at least my acer netbook does. If you dont have that, most computers pre-installed with W7 will have a recovery software, unique to the brand, like hp, or acer's eRecovery, dell, etc etc. And as they update their software for such, the recovery software you find on 2 identicle haps, bought 6 mos apart, very well may have differences, so watch out.

You can also call the manufacturer of the product, like hp, acer or dell, etc. and ask them for a recovery disk to be mailed to you. Acer, at least, charges for this.

You'll also find 2 new options in the system restore module that xp didn't have. Namely, "restore from image" and "return to factory".

Where does the image come from? You make, with 3rd party software, the revert to factory I assume contains the the entire core of windows 7 on a hidden partition. I arrive at this assumption as sfc.exe deosn't require me to use any external media to restore items that were deleted by accident. You can see my other posts for more details on that. Word to the wise, if you have an acer, don't waste your time with their support. They are idiots. At least the idiots are free tho. Lol

Collapse -
Also found this
by Ignis Lunae / March 31, 2010 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Again.
Collapse -
boot disk
by fastime12 / December 28, 2010 8:54 AM PST

Yes you can make the recovery disk any time you like and also my toshiba you can recover off the drive without disk

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.