Computer Help forum

Alert

Boot Disk Failure

by nyr9999 / January 27, 2013 12:02 AM PST

I have an hp desktop that says boot disk failure when i start up. I have done the following to try to correct it.
1. Loaded windows cd hit repair and reinstalled windows.
2. Checked to make sure no lose cables.
3. Checked bios
4. Ran chkdsk says drive is fine
What is odd is when i get that error i press crtl alt del amd the sys restarts and windows loads fine. This only happens when the pc is first powered on. I dont know what else to do before getting a new hard drive. Anyone have any other ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot Disk Failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot Disk Failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Roughly how old is the PC ?
by VAPCMD / January 27, 2013 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Boot Disk Failure

Once upon a time...there were situations where delayed hard drive spin up caused similar notices because the system was ready to go except for the HDD....thus the HDD failure notice. And when you restart (vice first power on) .. everything is OK because the HDD is already up and running.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Boot failure
by nyr9999 / January 27, 2013 12:31 AM PST

It is about 3 and half yrs old

Collapse -
Might be a good time to install a fresh new CMOS battery...
by VAPCMD / January 27, 2013 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Boot failure

usually a CR2032.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
boot disk failure
by nyr9999 / January 27, 2013 12:52 AM PST

anyway to fix this without getting a new hard drive

Collapse -
Does it happen also ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: boot disk failure

if you wake up from hibernate? If not, you've found a good work-around.

Kees

Collapse -
Areas to check
by Willy / January 27, 2013 1:02 AM PST

If you hadn't already, use the maker's diags to run HD tests. Do the full tests if you want, destructive ones too, but there are less destructive tests. The destructive parts refers to any data lost. Since, you already reloaded windows, etc. and still appears, it may not be a windows glitch but a true h/w one. The only items in that list are the HD, mtrbd. and cables. Replace cable and try again. You may want to look at removing the HD, test in another PC by itself, same tests or just replace. The old HD maybe not good for a boot HD but storage only as 3yrs. is a good run on some HDs.
If you google your model# HD, it may have bad history. Also, verify what your bios level is, it maybe good to update as a side note. The last area to check is the PSU, HP tends to install a PSU just for the basic PC as build. Your PSU maybe lagging abit trying to get everything going upon a "cold boot", it can only get worse as time goes by. In fact, I would replace the PSU just as a matter or course to see if that's the problem and install a higher rated wattage one too. Again, 3yrs. is a long time for a PSU, especially in OEM type systems. Last, make sure you clean the dust bunnies out, *everywhere*.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Just for yuks
by bob b / January 27, 2013 5:46 AM PST

Change the boot order.
Optical first.
Hd second.

Collapse -
Another workaround ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Just for yuks

if it's a slow-starting disk indeed.

When the BIOS shows the POST (list of devices it found and such), press pause. After a few seconds, press any key (I think) to continue. Cheaper than a new hard disk.

Still, I would take extra care to backup.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.