Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

boot and nuked hard drive ooops

by chilla5 / February 8, 2013 5:39 AM PST

Hi all,as it says I got really fed up with all the rubbish on my hp 501 notebook so I gave it the Darik boot and nuke treatment - the last time I did this to it I downloaded the drivers files etc from hp and somehow managed to reinstall them,but this time whenever I start the notebook it just says " system or disk error please replace and hit any key " or words along those lines, I can get into f10 boot set-up but it doesn't want to do anything whatever I choose, Is this the end, will it need professional help? any advice will be welcomed and I promise not to do it again,honest!,cheers

chilla5 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: boot and nuked hard drive ooops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: boot and nuked hard drive ooops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Was there some version of Windows there?
by wpgwpg / February 8, 2013 6:07 AM PST

If you want help, you need to at the very least say what version of Windows you're talking about.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by chilla5

Collapse -
further details
by chilla5 / February 8, 2013 8:13 PM PST

Just to clarify the notebook was an HP 501 notebook which was running windows XP home service pack 3, I booted and nuked the hard drive and no matter what I do now i.e put the windows disc in, or the discs with all the files and drivers for the notebook I keep getting the same message on screen " system or disk error please replace and hit any key" this is not exactly word for word as I am not able to access the notebook at the moment, when I press f10 and go to boot options I set it at boot from optical drive ( which I presume means the cd/dvd player ) I also have the files etc on a memory stick but I'm not too sure which boot from usb option I should choose as there are about 5 i.e. usb hard drive, usb floopy etc hope this helps . cheers Steve

Collapse -
Re: boot
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: further details

So it doesn't boot from the cd-drive with the Windows XP SP3 install disk while the BIOS says it should. That's quite common. Things you can try:
1. Make a copy of disk and see if that works.
2. Head-cleaner for the drive.
3. New drive.
Most often it turns out that #3 is needed.

Kees

Collapse -
"no matter what I do now"
by samkh / February 8, 2013 11:55 PM PST

doesn't address what you haven't done yet.

Did you check if the HD setting in BIOS is IDE instead of SATA? XP doesn't play well with SATA for some BIOS no matter if you got F6 drivers or not.

Collapse -
You can buy an external DVD/CD drive for around $30
by wpgwpg / February 9, 2013 12:27 AM PST

I'd buy an external DVD/CD drive for around $30 and try booting from that. Since you currently can't boot from anything, you could have a hardware problem that may need some expensive repair work, but I'd try the external drive first.

Good luck.

Collapse -
problem solved
by chilla5 / February 16, 2013 11:35 PM PST

OK problem solved for some unknown reason ( or a reason I am not familiar with ) it has decided to recognize the cd/dvd player and install the windows xp disc,thanks for previous responses,cheers.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: boot error
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 6:41 AM PST

In your story I'm missing the step where you installed an OS after deleting it (by erasing the hard disk). That makes a difference. So get your recovery or Windows installation disks and use those to install Windows (although nothing in your post excludes that it ran Linux, but that's just another CD/DVD to boot from).

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.