E-readers forum

Question

book ownership, sharing and transferability

by jisorensen / November 11, 2011 1:00 AM PST

New to ebooks. If I buy an ebook, do I own it or am I just renting it for a period of time? Can I download to a computer and transfer it to someone else? If I purchase a new ebook reader can I transfer existing books to the new reader?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: book ownership, sharing and transferability
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: book ownership, sharing and transferability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Once bought, you own it.
by RacingCowboy / November 11, 2011 8:35 AM PST

When you download an e-book through Amazon for your Kindle, or via a service such as Smashwords.com (featuring formats for Nook, Sony eReader, Palm devices, and more), when you buy the book, it's yours. A good example of this is Smashwords, which allows you to download your purchased eBook in multiple formats, whether for your eReader of your PC. And, should something happen to your download, you can download it again from the site.
Smashwords does recommend that instead of sharing an eBook, that you encourage another person to purchase their own copy. Amazon Kindle does allow sharing.
I have written and published eBooks through both services, and am quite pleased with them.

Collapse -
You Don't Own It
by goosebmp31 / November 11, 2011 8:57 AM PST

As an ebook author I will tell you can buy the right to read and in some cases to loan for a period of time the ebooks you buy and download but you do not "own it." Just read the copyright attached to the book. You may not copy, transfer, etc. without express permission from the author. If you download a movie can you just copy it and give to others, No. If you download music and copy it can you give to others, No.

Respect the hard work of the person who wrote the book. In my case, I have years involved in writing and producing a book. Do you think I or any other author would just "give" the book to you. I don't think so. Would you?

Dawn Meier

Collapse -
Now, now...
by falloonacy / November 11, 2011 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: You Don't Own It

Bob and Dawn, I have invested every bit as much time, sweat, and dedication to my books as you or any other author out there. In this issue, I doubt for a moment that the OP would actually believe they own the rights to an eBook upon purchase, any more than a person who buys a physical book believes they own the rights to it beyond possession of the paper and ink.

Collapse -
you dont own it
by ahardaker0290 / April 14, 2012 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: You Don't Own It

if i bot a hard copy I could give to someone after i read it. I dont see a difference.

Collapse -
"Own"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2011 9:04 AM PST

You may own access to the work but you do not have full "ownership" to the work in question.

That is, if I own my works, I am free to do with them as I please. In the case of a book, even an e-book there are limits to what I may do with it.

Many are unaware of this area of copyright and law or are looking for any reason to ignore such laws. Some will even debate the validity of laws.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.