Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bombers' mother says attack was faked

by Josh K / April 24, 2013 11:18 PM PDT
Suspects' mother shares doubts about bombing

(CNN) —The mother of the two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing says she believes the tragedy that killed three people and injured dozens more was staged, that the bombing was fake.

"That's what I want to know, because everybody's talking about it -- that this is a show, that's what I want to know. That's what I want to understand," said Zubeidat Tsarnaev.

She has seen a video purporting the wild idea, she told CNN's Nick Paton Walsh, who interviewed her in Makhachkala, Dagestan. He asked if she has seen the news images of the actual bombings and the suffering they caused.

"I haven't," she answered. There was no blood, she said. It was paint. But her disbelief broke down when she spoke of the victims.

"I really feel sorry for all of them. Really feel sorry for all of them," she said, her voice cracking. But she is resolute about not believing that her sons, Dzhokhar, 19, and Tamerlan, 26 were involved.

I feel for this woman. It can't be easy for a parent to accept that her kids did what her sons did, but she is in some serious denial right now.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bombers' mother says attack was faked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bombers' mother says attack was faked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
These terrorist are idiots
by James Denison / April 24, 2013 11:46 PM PDT

They aim everywhere but at what should be their real target, which is the govt. They garner no support, only increased ill will because of it. They play right into the hands of their primary enemy. Their actions only strengthen the position of their professed enemy. They are like someone who hunts bear, but waste time shooting at the squirrels and then get killed by the bear anyway. When the bear comes, they are unprepared. They really aren't very smart at all. Ruby Ridge was smarter. Waco was smarter. Even Oklahoma was smarter. All were smarter because they were strikes at govt targets, discrediting govt agencies, ruining govt careers, even while there was collateral damage. They chop at the tail of a snake, while the head whips around and bites them.

Collapse -
by Willy / April 25, 2013 1:29 AM PDT

It seems you're mad at them for screwing up and not the acts they did. Are you unhappy they didn't get the real target they wanted? -OR- the fact that as "home bred" terrorist they now have cracked open the barrier and seem to be the tip of the iceberg which worries me more. The fact they did anything and carried it out and with limited resources and were able to, suggests that the future maybe bleak as time passes. Step back and see the bigger picture here, it doesn't look good. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I'm mad at them for their cowardice
by James Denison / April 26, 2013 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Shhhh!

Hitting at civilian targets instead of govt targets which would have some inkling of justification for whatever they perceive to be their cause. It's indiscriminate carnage for nothing gained for them, so seems they'd wise up and realize the foolishness of it. It rarely works in the Mid East and it certainly won't work here. All it does is advertise misdirected carnage as their goal. It is no more effective than someone mad about taxes walking out his front door and shooting his neighbors because he objects to the taxes he pays. It's stupidity, maybe craziness, a wasted effort which claims lives not even connected to whatever their cause might be, and seems to show there is no real cause other than pure devilry for the sake of it. Satan's children would play like this, or as Jesus said, "...by their fruits you will know them".

Collapse -
You're acting like the idiot
by TONI H / April 25, 2013 2:01 AM PDT

being outraged that these terrorists didn't aim at our government.......I may not be happy with the things that this particular administration is doing, but I sure as hell don't want terrorists aiming at OUR government, when they should possibly be aiming at their own restrictive governments that hold their people back from modernization and free will. We've had home-grown terrorists go after our government before (remember the Weathermen?) and we ended up with killers teaching our children....I have no desire to have that happening again and am disappointed that that has been allowed to happen. I don't fear American home-grown activists being pissed off at our government as much as I fear the type that these two men represent.....and I agree with Bob Beckel when he made the comment the other day (for which he's getting a lot of flack over from the left) that we need to sever immigration temporarily with countries that are Muslim and Chinese until we have the ones that are already here completely vetted, located, and sent back out of our country if background checks prove that they are people we need to worry about. Liberals wanted strict background checks on gun buyers.......but ignore the more real threat we face internally. It's time to do something about protecting our country more forcefully again. In the last seven years of the Bush Administration, we had NO terrorist incidents within our country......during less than four years of BO's Administration, we have had FIVE, two of which ended in deaths to Americans. Something is seriously wrong with the policies that were in place and are either broken up (such as the FBI having their databases wiped clean) or breaking down.

Collapse -
Not me
by Willy / April 25, 2013 1:24 AM PDT

I've seen photo ops of the mother and she certainly cares for your children. However, to hear that she stated, "they're good children, I'm their mother, I know" falls on deaf ears. As info has been provided by the news media, it certainly looks like they're the baddies. She is wrong to think otherwise, but she's a mother. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Shoot the Jerk
by itsdigger / April 25, 2013 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Not me

Let God sort it out ! Angry

Collapse -
On top of everything else.....
by Josh K / April 25, 2013 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Not me

......one son ran over and killed the other while trying to escape from the police. I'm presuming that was accidental but who knows (other than him). Either way, that's another thing this mother has to digest.

Collapse -
I've read that as a maybe but haven't seen it as
by Steven Haninger / April 25, 2013 6:31 AM PDT

confirmed. I also heard of the gun battle with suspect #2 while in the boat. The boat, I heard was like swiss cheese but I heard that no weapon was actually found on the suspect. Gun battle against an unarmed person? So what's the truth? I'm not sure we really know.

Collapse -
The infrared footage
by TONI H / April 25, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

from the helicopter above the boat shows not only the man in the boat, but also puffs of black smoke wafting out of the boat/tarp as bullets were fired from within, so I kinda have to believe he was firing on the police. What was hard to understand was how many times he had been shot prior to being in the boat because of the shootout the previous evening.....he supposedly had at least three wounds that included one in the throat from his putting the gun into his own mouth and shooting out the back part of his throat (more below about this) and one in his hand. If he had been shot in the hand during the first shootout, you have to wonder how he managed to shoot a rifle, so have to assume he had a handgun that he was firing with at police from the boat.

As for the shot to the mouth...how did he not blow out the entire back of his neck and spine? There wouldn't have been much to stop a bullet from going thru and thru.......and when there was a picture of him sitting on the edge of the boat as he surrendered, he didn't seem to be anywhere near death from such attempt. He didn't have that wound from the first shootout from a short distance because one report indicated that the man who owns the boat and peeked inside saw him laying down, eating crackers or something like that, even though he had obviously been hit or hurt by explosions during the first shootout because there was blood on the boat that caught the boat owner's attention along with the tarp being cut loose where he crawled in.

Collapse -
Well, that conflicts with this
by Steven Haninger / April 25, 2013 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: The infrared footage
"No gun was found in the boat where cops busted Tsarnaev, 19, following a massive manhunt that virtually shut down all of Boston on Friday."

What I heard is that they had a total of 3 guns...a handgun, a pellet gun, and a rifle. They killed the MIT cop for his gun. If younger Tsarnaev had no gun, how could IR evidence show otherwise? This story changed minute by minute throughout the ordeal so either the reporters don't have their facts straight or law enforcement isn't telling the truth. I have to believe many of the inaccuracies had to do with social media reports flying left and right and in greater numbers than bullets.
Collapse -
Now it turns out......
by Josh K / April 25, 2013 12:13 PM PDT

.....that Russia warned the US about the mom too, and she's on a watch list. She also now claims that she had to call an ambulance to take her husband to the hospital, but the hospital has no record of it. I'm starting to think this is all an act.

Collapse -
Some form of hysterical amnesia maybe?
by Steven Haninger / April 25, 2013 6:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Now it turns out......

When the cameras are on her, she's a mess. It could well be she really believes what she is saying because she's forgotten and re-invented recent history.

I am beginning to believe there was a lot of hysteria in our own country over this and that these two were just bush-league wackos not even close to the caliber of Timothy McVey in their knowledge and ability to do harm. For some reason these two were able to keep millions riveted to their TV sets for several days. I'm at a loss to figure why other than having news and social media keep whipping things up with "Breaking News" interruptions every few minutes. Breaking news is now any new piece of information no matter where it comes from or has been verified. "It's been reported that..." is now the most common opening line. Source doesn't matter as long as the public can be made to sit up and take notice. To me it's more evidence that the terrorists have won. To borrow from another well known headline, "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"?

Collapse -
I watched that mother
by TONI H / April 25, 2013 8:37 PM PDT

"lose it" in front of the cameras, waving her arms around and wailing.......and not one tear in sight.....and still immediately calm down when asked another question, giving full attention to the question, answering it and then 'losing it again' with the wailing. She's really an accomplished lousy actress over the loss of her sons...both dead and 'no longer able to speak' but alive. Now she is claiming that she is coming back to the US with her husband.....but then says her husband may not come back with her.....then she says the US killed her 'loving boy' (this all makes me wonder WHY she would be coming back if she believes that and if she is on a watch list and if they have a trial waiting for her on shoplifting/felony theft charges). Other than one interview that I saw with the father where he claims that his sons were framed but doesn't know by who, I have seen him sitting next to the whacked out mother during other interviews but not saying anything. If the family was actually run by a domineering mother because all the men in the house were afraid to speak up, it smacks of the complete opposite of what we have seen regarding how Muslim homes are dominated by men.

Collapse -
But they're not the middle eastern Muslims we've
by Steven Haninger / April 25, 2013 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: I watched that mother

grown to know best. Just like in Christian and other religiously affiliated groups, country of origin, cultural history, etc., dictate societal behavior. Such is even part of the cause for strife between the various forms those religions exist in. Look at how much we see the bickering between announced Christian persons in our own country with each wanting to dismiss the other as either not being Christian or not being Christian enough. There are varying forms of paternal dominance that come with Christian practice as well so I'm not surprised that a woman could seem to be the more vocal in a Muslim family.

Collapse -
BREAKING NEWS: I agree with Toni! :-)
by Josh K / April 25, 2013 9:54 PM PDT

She has outstanding warrants in the US for shoplifting and destruction of property (I don't know the details) so I have a hunch she's not going to come here, even to see her surviving son and claim the other son's body. The story about her husband falling ill is probably just an excuse.

She's still a mom, and I'm sure she's devastated at what's happened, but I think a lot of what we're seeing from her is a performance.

Collapse -
That's the middle east
by James Denison / April 26, 2013 2:51 AM PDT

People are expected to carry on hysterically, put on the show, no matter what, or they aren't believed as sincere. Cultural thing of overplaying the scene.

Collapse -
Those bush-league wackos killed four people.....
by Josh K / April 25, 2013 9:51 PM PDT

.....and wounded over 200 others, and they were (apparently) planning to come to New York to explode more bombs in Times Square. I agree that the 24/7 coverage got to be a bit much, especially since 90% of the time there was no new news to report, but otherwise I thought the effort made to get these guys was very impressive.

Collapse -
something I had a hard time understanding
by TONI H / April 25, 2013 10:50 PM PDT

If the 19 yr old was bleeding from the first shootout with cops where he ran over his brother and the cops knew he was bleeding either from gunshot wounds or from a misfired bomb (his brother had fragments in his body from that so I would think the 19 yr old was in close enough proximity to also be hit), then when a house to house search was being done the next day, why weren't the tracker dogs brought in from the original shootout to track him and locate him faster? If it wasn't for an alert home owner, he might have died from wounds already inflicted because nobody would have found him for much longer.......

If you're spending upwards of $50K per dog or more for security teams, why weren't they actually used???? I saw some on leashes on that street as cops were going door to door but never heard anything about them actually being utilized. It made me crazy at times wondering while watching it going on........

Collapse -
Tracking dogs can't track you.....
by Josh K / April 25, 2013 11:06 PM PDT

.....if you get into a vehicle and drive off. They can only track you while you're on foot.

Collapse -
He was on foot
by TONI H / April 25, 2013 11:10 PM PDT

after fleeing the car that he used to run over his brother at the shootout....even the cops said there was his blood at that scene and that they knew he was injured at that time, they just didn't know if was from a bullet or shrapnel.

Collapse -
But he did leave the scene in a car
by Josh K / April 25, 2013 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: He was on foot

So there was no way to track him from the scene of the shootout. If they had picked up a scent afterwards somewhere else, then sure, but as far as we know they did not.

Collapse -
Yeah Well Look Who's on
by itsdigger / April 27, 2013 5:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
It says it was at the advice of Russia
by Steven Haninger / April 27, 2013 5:29 AM PDT

I'm fairly certain that a lot of folks from her part of old Soviet Union are not on the new leadership's "A" list for social events. Other sources also say that the FBI has no particular evidence of misdeeds that would cause them to be a threat to US security. For now, I'll stay away from media speculation or such meant to tantalize and not satisfy.

Collapse -
Sounds like "Ma Barker" to me...
by Tony Holmes / April 28, 2013 10:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
That is a bit TOO strong IMO
by Josh K / April 28, 2013 10:45 PM PDT

One of her sons was a "pot head?" Really? People high on weed generally don't blow stuff up. They'd much rather sit back and watch a movie while munching on Oreos. And I hadn't heard any prior accusations that the other son was a wife-beater.

No argument that this woman may not be the grieving, disbelieving mother she claims to be. I said before that I think what we've seen of her on TV is largely bull****.

Collapse -
by TONI H / April 29, 2013 12:03 AM PDT

There was a live interview with one of the younger's college friends where he said they would sit around and smoke pot "like normal kids" .... and the report of the older's history regarding being a 'wife beater' was because there was a complaint made thru the courts that he had a domestic violence charge and a restraining order put out on him from I believe a prior girlfriend, not his wife.

There was also yesterday and video of another press 'conference' with the mother where she was saying that 'she didn't care if they killed her son, and she doesn't care if they kill her other son, and she doesn't care if they killer her as well'. The woman is a total radical nutcase, who, in my opinion, completely was involved with her sons being the way they ended up. If this family came here originally in order to avoid the persecution of Russia and they were afraid for their lives and seeking asylum, what in hell were they all doing back there again, either permanently or temporarily for six months at a whack?

Collapse -
I used to smoke pot "like normal kids"......
by Josh K / April 29, 2013 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: FYI

.....and I wasn't a pothead by any stretch. Don't assume that just because someone likes to smoke pot on occasion that they're stoned all the time. And again, pot does not lead to aggressive behavior the way alcohol does. Someone high on weed is very unlikely to engage in violence.

It will be interesting to learn whether the mother knew her sons were planning this attack she claims never happened. I remember Mohammed Atta's father denying his son was dead, insisting that he'd spoken with him since 9/11. When asked to produce his living, breathing son, he naturally refused.

Collapse -
That one doesn't work either.
by Josh K / April 29, 2013 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: oops bad link

Looks like part of the link name is being bleeped by the Cnet filter.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.