Speakeasy

Rant

BO's compromise?

by TONI H / November 30, 2012 3:29 AM PST

Instead of the $800B in tax rate increases that he ran on, he now wants $1.6T, plus an additional $50B (stimulus), a measly $400B in 'cuts', AND..........WAIT FOR IT.........

A BLANK CHECK ON THE NATIONAL DEBT by giving him power to raise it whenever he wants and eliminate Congress from that authorization.

No wonder McConnell laughed out loud at Geithner.......

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BO's compromise?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BO's compromise?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Got a link AND what the other guy is offering?
by JP Bill / November 30, 2012 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: BO's compromise?
Collapse -
here
by TONI H / November 30, 2012 5:00 AM PST
Collapse -
From your link
by JP Bill / November 30, 2012 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: here
In the plan, sources said, Geithner proposed a two-step process to ultimately achieve about $1.6 trillion in new revenue. The first step would net $960 billion immediately by allowing the Bush-era tax cuts to expire on top earners along with raising rates on dividends and capital gains.

Even if everyone does NOTHING....$960 BILLION increase, never mind Instead of the $800B in tax rate increases that he ran on,...There's $160 BILLION.

"Sources said" AND PROPOSALS(propose/proposal ...7 times in article)....Doesn't sound very definite/firm/non-negotiable.

Would you have a link to "proposals" by the other guy?
Collapse -
BO hardly mentioned
by TONI H / November 30, 2012 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: From your link

during the campaign the increases in dividends and capital gains........he mainly campaigned on raising tax rates on the 'rich' and it would 'gain' $800B....the other $160B comes from the other two that he didn't talk much about.

AND he specifically SAID yesterday on the 'campaign' trail that he wants the tax increases NOW and 'we'll talk about the cuts next year', so his agenda is already spoken and isn't just a 'proposal'.

The Ryan Budget that PASSED the House and Reid won't bring to a vote ALREADY has the PLAN laid out that the Republicans want regarding the tax cuts and tax reform........There is NO plan and NO list of deductions that the Dems or BO are willing to cut, EVEN THOUGH he campaigned on 'reforming' Medicaid and Medicare and leaving Social Security alone. There is a video of him specifically saying that " the two biggest drivers of our debt is Medicaid and Medicare....Social Security will be ok"

Are you ok with him having control and complete power and authority to raise the national debt ceiling whenever and to whatever he feels 'he' needs and taking that authority away from Congress even though there is a Constitutional LAW that says ONLY Congress can okay the increase? (Can you say MORSI???)

Collapse -
And by excluding everyone over 55
by Roger NC / November 30, 2012 11:35 AM PST

letting them keep their entitlements, they try to avoid antagonizing one of the most active voting wise blocs there is.

It's mostly fear that would make most of them go along with an unspoken "I've got mine, the heck with you" change in medicare.

Collapse -
What isn't said in that op link
by TONI H / November 30, 2012 6:57 PM PST

is that the cuts they're talking about are ones from a couple of years ago and they're counting them twice. As for gutting Medicaid, that's untrue......they want Medicaid sent back to the States to control individually according to their own State's needs instead of the Feds controlling what it gets spent on. Governors are notoriously much better at managing the money than the Feds BECAUSE they are required to balance their budgets every year.

It doesn't matter if 'he and his gang' didn't win the prez race.......the budget PASSED the House and Reid refused to bring it to the Senate seat for a vote, just like he's done for nearly all of the bills that the House has passed over the last four years.

The two BO budget bills that he presented FAILED because he couldn't get even ONE Dem vote in the Senate....while Reid's Senate has NOT even compiled a budget to submit to the House in the FOUR years BO has been prez EVEN THOUGH the Constitution REQUIRES it.

Collapse -
"asking"????
by James Denison / November 30, 2012 10:17 PM PST

They're "asking the wealthy"? Wow, they just can't quit Lying can they?

Collapse -
RE: They're "asking the wealthy"?
by JP Bill / November 30, 2012 10:42 PM PST
In reply to: "asking"????

Yes....First they ask...ask if they agree.....If/when they don't agree...Then they tell.

That's how it works.

They can go willingly OR begrudgingly.....But they WILL go.

Collapse -
And yet
by TONI H / November 30, 2012 10:52 PM PST

no liberals will admit that the middle class and poor WILL also go because companies will increase their prices to make up the extra taxes.

Collapse -
(NT) Oh well. Into each life some rain must fall.
by JP Bill / November 30, 2012 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: And yet
Collapse -
So you admit
by TONI H / December 1, 2012 12:12 AM PST

that increasing taxes on the 'rich' will hurt the middle class and poor contrary to what BO has been out there campaigning on for the last two years and is still saying that he wants to 'take care of the middle class'?

Finally.........

Good thing YOU won't be trying to buy anything here at current and future prices, right?

Collapse -
I'm really interested in
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: So you admit

how Obamacare will affect YOU personally.

Will YOU be paying more....will you be paying anything, .....will you be paying less?

Collapse -
we discussed this
by TONI H / December 1, 2012 12:37 AM PST

many times over two years ago.......I have no interest in rehashing the it again. I couldn't keep my 'current' insurance and I couldn't keep my 'current' doctor were only two examples. Another is the 23 new taxes included in Obamacare that increased premiums. Please take some meds that will increase your memory capacity...unless your Canadian health insurance doesn't cover it and you have to pay for it out of pocket, of course.

Collapse -
RE: Please take some meds
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 3:16 AM PST
Please take some meds that will increase your memory capacity...unless your Canadian health insurance doesn't cover it and you have to pay for it out of pocket, of course.

Don't YOU remember ME telling YOU that I paid for my own insurance that covers prescription drugs? If I ever do get some memory enhancement drugs...shall I send some down your way?

.I have no interest in rehashing the it again.

And yet here you are...talking about Obamacare. I guess you just can't say NO.
Collapse -
what Obama needs is
by James Denison / November 30, 2012 4:28 AM PST

... a lump of coal for Christmas. Wink

Collapse -
IF everyone in America gave everyone else in America
by JP Bill / November 30, 2012 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: what Obama needs is

a lump of coal for Christmas...

It MIGHT keep the coal industry going for a few more months.

Collapse -
Hopefully it's just posturing
by Steven Haninger / November 30, 2012 6:39 AM PST

When a lawyer want 10000 bucks, he asks for 100K first. This sets up an "everyone wins-no one loses" solution. It's just politics. Stupid, but politics.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.