Speakeasy forum

BO retaliation

by TONI H / November 30, 2012 11:30 PM PST

A new fee/penalty not written yet will be imposed on private insurance companies that sell health insurance in ANY state that has refused to set up exchanges (17 so far). Many states have already refused because they have the ability to opt out and let the Feds set it up themselves.

no link yet

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BO retaliation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BO retaliation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: no link yet
by JP Bill / November 30, 2012 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: BO retaliation

Yet another "Darden" story?

They're going to cut hours and then the next week they're going to increase hours.

Remember that scoop?

And THAT story was with a link.

Collapse -
Stay on topic here
by TONI H / December 1, 2012 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: RE: no link yet

penalties/increased fees on health insurers who try to sell insurance in the private sector in States that have opted out of setting up exchanges will cause premiums to increase nearly 40% according to the commentator I heard, pushing those insurance companies out of business.

Collapse -
RE: according to the commentator I heard,
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Stay on topic here

I'll wait for a link, thank you very much.

Even then it doesn't guarantee a response.

Collapse -
Probably something there, BUT
by Roger NC / December 1, 2012 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Stay on topic here

commentators discussing topics they want to be controversal always take the most extreme possibility to throw out.

The goal is to get a response, preferrably a knee jerk one, rather than to inform or make you think.

Neither side wants you to consider, they just want and chorus of AMEN, or HELL NO.

Collapse -
and when the insurance business is closed
by James Denison / December 1, 2012 1:42 AM PST

who will they interview then?

Collapse -
(NT) Giving what they wanted
by Roger NC / December 1, 2012 1:52 AM PST
Collapse -
RE: when the insurance business is closed
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 4:24 AM PST

Since the election I have seen more insurance company commercials on TV....

WHY are they advertising for businesses that are going to close?

Do they think there is a new crop of customers out there?

What does James know that the insurance business doesn't?

Collapse -
I've seen those too and ....
by James Denison / December 1, 2012 4:43 AM PST

....auto insurance is different than health insurance. Silly

Collapse -
Humana, for one
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 5:27 AM PST

I haven't been keeping tract of the different names but at least 3 different ads, ALL about healthcare.

Ads that would be directed at the Mass./New England market.

Collapse -
(NT) track
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Humana, for one
Collapse -
You might be seeing the annual
by Steven Haninger / December 1, 2012 7:52 AM PST

Medicare open enrollment blitz. Humana is one of the approved players in the Medicare "advantage" arena. After this week, the ads will all but cease.

Collapse -
Humana is one......Here's another one...just on TV
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 12:23 PM PST
Blue Cross, Blue Shield

I notice they also sell insurance to businesses...I wonder if Obamacare would entice businesses to purchase Blue Cross Blue Shield for their employees.

I guess the insurance business will adapt to Obamacare...Don't worry bout them they'll do OK.
Collapse -
(NT) Here's another...................... United Healthcare Group
by JP Bill / December 3, 2012 11:05 AM PST
Collapse -
United Heath is the AARP offering
by Steven Haninger / December 3, 2012 7:41 PM PST

There are only a few private insurance companies approved to administer Medicare and what they offer differs by region. Basically, the government turns over a fixed amount of money to the insurance company someone signs on with. One can go with basic Medicare part A or add part B for a cost starting around 99 bucks a month. The government system can administer those. If one wants additional coverage, they can elect to go with an approved "Medicare Advantage" provider. Medicare turns over some fixed sum to that provider including what one pays for part B. The provider can offer additional coverage for such as dental, vision, hearing and drug coverage. There must be money in it for them or the services wouldn't be offered. There's an open enrollment season that begins sometime in October and ends the first part of December. This is when you see the ad blitz. If you lived in the US and were approaching age 65 or already on Medicare, you'd see your mailbox fill up at this time as well.

Collapse -
They are all out there advertising
by Diana Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 6:49 AM PST

because of the Medicare open enrollment.

Collapse -
Yeah, but that's piggy backed health insurance
by James Denison / December 3, 2012 6:54 AM PST

aka "supplemental" insurance. Same as Blue Cross, Blue Shield. You aren't seeing advertisements for full health insurance coverage like Cygna and others provide currently through employers.

Collapse -
I've seen very few
by TONI H / December 1, 2012 4:48 AM PST

actual health insurance ads.......but I have seen a number of 'combination' types where an insurance company will advertise that they can offer 'full coverage' as bundles (health, life, auto, home, disability, etc). I think the main reason is because they need to build up their base in order to survive, especially in the wake of massive home loss claims (Katrina, Sandy, tornadoes, etc.)

Collapse -
Too bad about what Obamas doing to the insurance business
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: I've seen very few

Praise the Lord for Katrina, Sandy, tornadoes, etc.

They WILL survive.

Collapse -
(NT) PS: Nothing like making money off of grief and fear.
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 5:42 AM PST
Collapse -
You think BO hasn't use grief and fear?
by TONI H / December 1, 2012 5:52 AM PST

And insurance companies aren't using that to garner new customers.........they are garnering new customers to make up what they are having to pay out on existing claims coming in. Do you expect them to NOT try and rebuild their base funds? I mean, Lowe's has to replenish its inventory when they get low on items, don't they?

Collapse -
You wanted to elect Romney
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 6:03 AM PST

because of his business acumen, NOW you have a problem with Obama running the Government like a business?

Collapse -
Chicago thuggery
by TONI H / December 1, 2012 8:21 AM PST

isn't a business technique........knowing how to add and subtract actually IS, and he DOESN'T

Collapse -
That's exactly what
by TONI H / December 1, 2012 5:49 AM PST

the UN is saying.......thank God for those disasters while we use them towards our world climate change resolutions..........good grief.

Obama is just making it worse for the insurance companies TO survive which is what he intended all along.

Collapse -
RE: world climate change resolutions
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: That's exactly what
Stay on topic here

Obama is just making it worse for the insurance companies

The same insurance companies that charge you extra to pay for patients that don't have insurance?

Don't pay the gov for your insurance...pay the insurance companies...THEY care about you.

The insurance company takes $10 from you and you're loving it...the Democratic Gov takes $10 and you're crying.

You have more sides than an octagon.
Collapse -
The health insurance companies
by TONI H / December 1, 2012 8:26 AM PST

WEREN'T taking more from me to pay for patients without insurance....why would they since they weren't obligated to pay for uninsured patients? It was the HOSPITALS that were overcharging on our bills in order to pay for ones who showed up in emergency rooms without insurance. Please keep your logic, even tho it's ill-advised, centered properly. AUTO insurance companies actually DO charge a little more to cover uninsured motorists, however.

Collapse -
uninsured motorist charges to
by Roger NC / December 1, 2012 8:49 AM PST

cover damage that uninsured drivers can't cover.

You buy it to protect yourself.

Of course drivers are theoreotically required to carry insurance, which I assume was the idea behind Romney requiring health insurance in Massachusetts and the Obamacare requiring it in the US.

I'm not saying Obamacare as enacted is the answer it was made too complicated and tried to address too many different aspects in too rigid ways.

If you look at it simplistically, requiring everyone to have at least some health insurance should save you money. Of course nothing is ever that simple.

Collapse -
RE: It was the HOSPITALS that were overcharging on our bill
by JP Bill / December 1, 2012 11:09 AM PST

And THAT makes a difference to you?...as the person that pays for the insurance?

The bill paid by the insurance company?

The Hospital overcharges the insurance company. Your rates are set by the insurance company. When the insurance company pays more...their clients pay more. YOU pay more. Does it feel better when the insurance company takes your money than when the hospital takes your money?

You don't mind if Peter takes your money...Just as long as Paul doesn't take it?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.