Speakeasy forum

General discussion

BO kicks Ohio voters in the gut

by TONI H / November 13, 2012 11:14 PM PST

within days of the elections......

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/conveniently-occurring-after-the-election-ohio-food-stamp-program-sees-cuts/

>>>Tyler Durden from ZeroHedge also recently pointed out that the USDA seems to have delayed its monthly release of the number of Americans enrolled the food stamp program by nine days and didn't release its August data until last week as well. Durden wrote that this could be why:

One glance at the number reveals why: at 47.1 million, this was not only a new all time record, but the monthly increase of 420,947 from July was the biggest monthly increase in one year. One can see why a reported surge in foodstamps ahead of the elections is something the USDA, and the administration may not have been too keen on disclosing.>>>

Some in Ohio because of the new formula regarding last year's warm winter will lose their benefits altogether.

Seems like an awful lot of information was being deliberately withheld prior to the election, and this is just another one of those 'transparent' moments for this administration.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BO kicks Ohio voters in the gut
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BO kicks Ohio voters in the gut
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh for crying out loud, Toni
by Josh K / November 13, 2012 11:26 PM PST

"BO" had nothing to do with it. Your own link sources the reasons:

Because of the way the federal government calculates utility expenses for people receiving the benefit, a mild winter nationwide last year, and a lower price for natural gas, many families could experience a significant cut in aid, those familiar with the program say.

The rest of it is just innuendo. Like Obama got his advisers together and said, "Let's find a way to stick it to Ohio as our thank-you for putting us over the top last week."

Collapse -
They had these numbers BEFORE
by TONI H / November 14, 2012 12:54 AM PST

votes were cast and withheld the information until AFTER the election. THAT's the point.

Collapse -
Here's a link to the original article
by Josh K / November 14, 2012 3:22 AM PST
Collapse -
I can't tell you when in October
by TONI H / November 14, 2012 3:50 AM PST

the 'people' were informed, but my sister, who is on foodstamps in Ohio, had already heard from her social worker in October when she had to go in for her annual evaluation that they would be cut as of Jan 2013 but didn't know by how much yet. THAT notice came out at the same time that the Toledo Blade and other news media (tv) announced it two days ago.

Collapse -
So now you're saying they DID know before the election
by Josh K / November 14, 2012 4:18 AM PST

They just didn't know yet how much the cuts would be.

The conspiracy gets smaller.

Collapse -
I've said all along
by TONI H / November 14, 2012 4:29 AM PST

that government officials knew the stats before the election and didn't release the info until afterwards. What are you talking about?

Collapse -
You just said....
by Josh K / November 14, 2012 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: I've said all along

.....that your sister knew before the election that there would be cuts. Unless she has some top state-level security clearance, everyone else had access to that same information BEFORE the election.

Collapse -
If Toni's sister went to the press. in October
by JP Bill / November 14, 2012 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: You just said....

Romney would be President.

Collapse -
Not according to
by TONI H / November 14, 2012 5:47 AM PST

the election poll results I posted in another thread.

Collapse -
If the Romney-owned voting machines couldn't do it....
by Josh K / November 14, 2012 5:49 AM PST

....how could Toni's sister?

Wink

Collapse -
There you go again.....
by TONI H / November 14, 2012 7:24 AM PST

perpetuating the lie about the voting machines. No matter how many times I prove to you that you're lying, you just keep doing it.

Collapse -
My sister
by TONI H / November 14, 2012 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: You just said....

only knew they were coming because her social worker told her they were.....neither one knew by how much or how soon people would be notified (via mail, social worker as each person came in for re-evaluations, newspapers, or tv). It seems to me that government officials knew ahead of time and just didn't share that information until after the election a few weeks later. If government officials knew, they knew the formula/stats that would be used to determine the amount of the cuts and started notifying the states' social services departments.

So what else do you wish to know or what else do you think I'm speculating since you seem to think that's all I ever do, even when I attach a real news story to my posts? I would prefer it if you kept your sarcasm and other crap out of your statements and just respond like a normal person for a change. I deal enough with that garbage from JP, and after all these years, I would rather not throw you into his league.

Collapse -
"It seems to me"
by Josh K / November 14, 2012 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: My sister

Meaning you don't actually know that. Sounds like this was, at worst, a lack of proper communication but not the "BO conspiracy" you'd like to think it was.

Collapse -
I guess having a social worker
by TONI H / November 14, 2012 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: "It seems to me"

already knowing in October about the cuts coming isn't an obvious enough amount of proof that the government was giving the states a heads up early but not giving that information to the public prior to the election voting. OK.

Collapse -
I just wonder how often such news
by Roger NC / November 14, 2012 7:52 AM PST

makes front page anyway?

Why would there be a big public announcement instead of just notifying the people involved? I would think they'd always want to keep it low key to avoid as much as possible big fusses about the changes.

If it goes up, some will complain of too much given away, if it goes down there will be complaints about cold harded treatment of those in dire need.

It seems low key would always be the goal.

Collapse -
Not necessarily
by TONI H / November 14, 2012 6:28 PM PST

The gas prices and electric rate increases always make front page news, so does the social security COLA and medicare rate increases ....I would think that cuts in food stamps is something people should know about ahead of time so they can refigure their budgets to adjust for that. Feeding your family is a pretty important part of a budget and when people who don't have to go into a social service department for re-evaluation until after the cuts already are showing up in their checks are then swamping the social service departments wanting to know what happened.

Collapse -
I deal enough with that garbage from JP,
by JP Bill / November 14, 2012 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: My sister

We have 4 more years of you...

YOU have 4 more years of ME.

Collapse -
Can you show "Cause and Effect"?
by JP Bill / November 13, 2012 11:32 PM PST

More entitlements=more votes for Obama? (give me stuff...you got my vote)

or

more entitlements=less votes for Obama?(if I have to go on food stamps...you've lost my vote) BUT I'll take the food stamps?

I guess since Obama won.......it's More entitlements=more votes for Obama.

I don't see how releasing numbers would have changed the outcome of the election.

I know you have no problem with reducing the money paid out in food stamps.

Collapse -
what some areas need are "pickin' stamps"
by James Denison / November 13, 2012 11:35 PM PST

guarantees from various producers that if you go out and pick so much produce for them, you'll be directly compensated with same product from the fields at more than minimum wage scale. Take your kids to work day too.

Collapse -
And I suppose these crops are grown and left to rot now.
by JP Bill / November 13, 2012 11:55 PM PST

Aren't they already being picked by someone?

Fire them, and have the people that will actually eat the produce pick it?

WILL WORK FOR CARROTS?

Eliminate the Supermarket?

Take your kids to work...And drop them off at your place?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.