Audio & Video Software

General discussion

Blurry Photo Fixes /Apps

by DADSGETNDOWN / August 17, 2007 6:01 PM PDT

Hello, I have a Canon Powershot A540. I have what I feel are 2 in the same YET, also different situations.
I want to find a program preferably free, that will either clear up or TRY to help blurry photos.
Now. I have a couple that are from "Hands Shaking".
I have a few that are motion that parts of the picture that are moving have a blur, (sometimes you don't want to see that blur).
And I have a couple that are from what I call a confused camera. in some what low light situations with no flash, this camera shows a red shaking camera icon sometimes, and no matter how still you are, tripod or not, and sometimes the photo will have a blur or someitmes even a shaking blur to them.
any suggestions for photo fixes (other than the doofus who wants to say, use a tripod, hold still, use better settings, or use a better camera) Please spare us all that non sense. :D.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blurry Photo Fixes /Apps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blurry Photo Fixes /Apps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blurry Photo Fixes Apps
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 19, 2007 8:14 AM PDT

What you want does not exist.

You have to fix the problem, not the results.

-------------

And the Problem is............

not listening to the doofus.

Collapse -
Like a Dangleing steak in a dogs face.
by DADSGETNDOWN / August 19, 2007 2:32 PM PDT

I was hoping that we weren't going to have to hear something like this, which is why I wrote what I did, I guess it's just to tempting for doofus's. there is something, and "the doofus nevedr said anything before I posted"..Lol. Re-read that, the problem is the results. not WHY the results came out that way. maybe you don't know about these little cameras or maybe this one in particular or maybe the situation period. mmm is that filet minion ?. Heh!.

Collapse -
There are fixes, but they aren't great, nor cheap.
by grimgraphix / August 20, 2007 2:13 AM PDT

Photoshop from Adobe is the industry standard for fixing photo problems. It's not a cheap program and takes literally hundreds of hours of experience to reach a point where a person could begin to fix the problems you mentioned without making it look artificial. Even then, it's going to be the results of a photographic artist "touching up" the fundamental mistakes with artificial fixes. The stuff you see on TV where someone drops a photo into a "secret government photo surveillance" program and builds a crystal clear picture from a fragment of a photo is pure science fiction.

Old photos and one of a kind blurry pictures can be enhanced. An artist can go in and literally draw over certain parts of a photo to take a flaw and correct it. But there is no substitution for knowing how your camera works and optimizing your pictures by using the right settings. You have a canon 540? Do you take advantage of the scene menus to compensate for different light settings? Do you use the flash to capture objects in motion and prevent the blurring effect a moving body at a slow exposure creates? Do you use an object like a door jam, a support column, or even a friends shoulder to steady your camera in place of a tripod?

I'm not trying to school you or scold you here... I'm just saying what you are looking for (a quick software fix) doesn't exist, except on TV and the movies. Software can make improvements in your pics but can't make up for getting the photo right in the first place.

If you are looking for a free image adjustment program that is powerful but takes some practice to use... try the GIMP. It's free and available for download through CNet's Download.com

cheers

grim

Collapse -
A dish of Crow
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 20, 2007 6:09 AM PDT

I understood the question.

But the question is flawed.

The problem is not the results, the problem is the person holding the camera.

The result is unfixable.
The person holding the camera can be taught, if they want to learn.

And they will not learn....by watching (and believing) fake photographic miracles on television and in the movies.

There are photographic classes available in most areas.
There are thousands of books on photography.
Here is a link to a free on-line short course in photography:

http://www.shortcourses.com/use/

As far as my credentials:

I am familiar with your camera.
I am currently using 4 digital cameras, including a DSLR.
I have been into photography since before you were a gleam in your father's eye.

Collapse -
snap
by DADSGETNDOWN / August 20, 2007 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: A dish of Crow

Well thanks for your help I tried to prevent.
You didn't and still don't understand the question.
It isn't flawed.
The result of the poor photographer, or settings what ever it is, is somewhat fixable.
in some cases no matter what you do, you can't prevent these types of cameras giving you a poor shot atleast once in a while. sometimes they have a mind of their own.
DANG YOU'RE OLD, must be getting ready to start seeing that there 3/4 of a century mark. Silly

Collapse -
(NT) Older than dirt.......
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 20, 2007 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: snap
Collapse -
Older than Dirt!
by taboma / August 21, 2007 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Older than dirt.......

Joe, I bought a red dyed shirt from Sedona, AZ that had that on the t-shirt. Man, I cannot find that T-shirt. I think my wife hid it on me on purpose. You must be older than dirt. I am also! I admit it.
Nah! You ARE older than dirt! You win! :

Collapse -
(NT) Hey, it wasn't me, I swear ! ...;-)
by grimgraphix / August 21, 2007 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Older than Dirt!
Collapse -
It wasn't me?
by taboma / August 22, 2007 9:27 AM PDT

Grim, I thought that it may have been Lampie The Clown at work again.
Not you! I loved all this man's comments. I wish he would come out of hiding. The last I heard from him, he joined RBB&B Circus.

It just hit me last night that we have been taken! :

Collapse -
Well, if nothing else, you're amusing.
by Kiddpeat / August 20, 2007 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: snap

Let us know if you ever find something that can fix the consequences of the camera operator's lack of knowledge, refusal to learn, or flat out mistakes.

Collapse -
kiddiepeetie
by DADSGETNDOWN / August 20, 2007 4:42 PM PDT

I'd give you links to places here and other good sites including ALL the Manufacturers about the things I have said, but you've shown what you know. Just couldn't resist could you. Your statement is copletely out of realm. I know from trial and error, mistakes, learning, better yet makers web sites and a few forums. Akthough I guess the one mistake I did do is to say what I did in the topic, which obviously draws that attention like flies. Let YOU know I don't think I have to , you know it all already.
Hope you feel better though, I can take the heat even if undeserved or just so you don't have to take it out on people you know.

Collapse -
Translation.
by Kiddpeat / August 20, 2007 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: kiddiepeetie

You haven't found anything. I didn't really think you would.

Collapse -
Translation?
by taboma / August 21, 2007 4:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Translation.

When did you become the infamous kiddiepeetie?
Now that's a new one for you. Funny, funny, funny. "

Collapse -
Hey! Let's not spread this around.
by Kiddpeat / August 22, 2007 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Translation?

I might lose my reputation with the 10 year old set.

Wink

Collapse -
Hey! Let's not spread this around?
by taboma / August 22, 2007 9:39 AM PDT

kiddpeat, I thought it was funny to read. I still question if this is for real. Really cool on your part. Have fun,

-Kevin

Collapse -
Hey! Let's not spread this around.
by taboma / August 26, 2007 3:52 PM PDT

Sorry to be so late with my response to you. I will not say a word.

To whom were we talking to? Where the heck did he come from and where did the heck did he go!?
Very shallow on his part. Wax-on. Wax-off!? :

Collapse -
Look here Dads...
by grimgraphix / August 21, 2007 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: kiddiepeetie

... if you provide links to sites and ask if it is worthwhile to buy some software program, then we will all be happy to chime in and give an opinion. However, the fact is that the problems you have initially described are common... common enough that the reasons why they occur are well known. Unless there was something going on that you didn't mention, the only cause of the problems mentioned is operator error. This is not something to be embarrassed or angry about. We all have made mistakes and taken some bad pictures. The reason why you are getting a hard time from some folks here is because you are insisting there are fixes that exist... but... to the best of our collective knowledge they don't. That doesn't mean we are 100% right or that you are 100% wrong. Still, you got to give us something more to go on than you have.

My best guess, as I said before, is that the bad pictures might be improved but not fixed to the point where they look perfect. It will take work and/or money on your part (learn how to do it or pay someone else) to get them fixed. Your best bet is to prevent the problems from happening in the future by learning what originally caused them and avoiding those mistakes. Another is buying a more expensive camera with image stabilization and more automated features. However, this large investment will still not solve the fact that it sounds like you need to practice and learn more about how to take good pictures. The bottom line is that it is easier to take good photos than it is to fix bad ones.

grim

Collapse -
grimgraphicx
by DADSGETNDOWN / August 21, 2007 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Look here Dads...

I hear you Grimgrpahix your posts (2 at this point) were the only ones worth posting and reading, the others had no reason breathing my air. Thanks a bunch.

Collapse -
Grimgrpahix your posts were ?
by taboma / August 21, 2007 5:12 PM PDT

Hear you Grimgrpahix your posts (2 at this point) were the only ones worth posting and reading, the others had no reason breathing my air. Thanks a bunch.

How special you are Grim! I think we are being taken here.
-Kevin

Collapse -
Fixing a bad picture?
by taboma / August 22, 2007 9:19 AM PDT

Grim, There really is a way to fix a bad picture.
One of my friend's sons works for DREAMWORKS in CA. All it takes is money to fix anything.
As Bob Proffitt once said, "Just bring a suitcase of money!" :

Collapse -
Almost Perfect
by DADSGETNDOWN / August 22, 2007 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Fixing a bad picture?

This should have been your one and only post good answer Thanks, instead of a chat room type thread.

Grim, There really is a way to fix a bad picture.
One of my friend's sons works for DREAMWORKS in CA. All it takes is money to fix anything.

Collapse -
Ummmmmm, Dreamworks does animations.
by Kiddpeat / August 22, 2007 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Almost Perfect

They don't fix badly shot digital photos.

However, now that you mention it. There IS a way. Buy a copy of Adobe Illustrator. That will allow you to recreate the photo and remove all the blurring. Unfortunately, the process is not automated. You will, in effect, have to recreate the photo by hand, but what else do you have to do? That is, unless you really have a suitcase full of money. With enough money, you could hire someone to recreate the photo.

Cheer up though. Some truly EXCELLENT images have been created in this way.

Collapse -
Ummmmmm, Dreamworks does animations.
by taboma / August 24, 2007 4:05 PM PDT

Kiddpeat, You are hired! :

Collapse -
Almost Perfect?
by taboma / August 24, 2007 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Almost Perfect

DADSGETNDOWN, No one is perfect here. Thanks for your input.
I did think that a new post would have been better.
Would have stood out more and attracted more posts, maybe. Who knows!?

"Grim, There really is a way to fix a bad picture.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.