TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

BluRay vs Upconvert

by hankhnl / November 7, 2007 2:49 AM PST

I have a Toshiba 50" 1366x768 RP HDTV. Would a Blu Ray player give me better picture quality than a good upconvert player? Price wise the upconvert makes more sense to me since I don't have a 1080p TV. Would I notice the difference in picture quality and do you think the price difference is worth it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BluRay vs Upconvert
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BluRay vs Upconvert
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
absolutely yes...
by Dabonka1 / November 7, 2007 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: BluRay vs Upconvert

...keep in mind the better the original source, the better the displayed picture will look {period}. DVD's at their best are 480 lines... upconverted {using extropolated/interpolated/wobulated whatever lol} to the higher signal. B-Ray and HD-DVD the disks are recorded at higher 1080 lines... then broought down to 720 will look NOTICEABLY better than the other way around. However, is the difference worth the price..{???} I can not answer that for you. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Collapse -
I am a little unsure as to what...
by stuntman_mike / November 7, 2007 6:25 AM PST

exactly you are asking. Are you asking if a Blu-ray will look better than an upscaled DVD or if a stand alone BD player will upscale DVDs better than an up-converting DVD player?

If you are asking if a BD player upscales standard DVDs better than a up-converting DVD player, that depends on the models in question. In any case, it would not warrant buying a BD player to get better upscaling. You could do that for cheaper by getting a better up-converting DVD player.

If you are asking if Blu-rays look better than even the best upscaled DVDs, the answer is yes, for the same reason that the previous poster stated. You are starting with an HD source and displaying it in HD as opposed to starting with a standard def source and scaling it to HD dimensions.

Still, I would not be able to say if it is worth it to you. If I were you and I had the budget, I would definitely get one because I want the best piscture. And a BD or HD-DVD is the best picture. If you game, and even if you don't, I would suggest getting the PS3. It upscales DVDs as well as most players, plays BDs as well as any player, and unlike most BD players, it can be connected to the internet and updated, so that you will be able to get new features as they become available. It also decodes HD audio and has an HDMI 1.3 output. And last but not least, you can use it as a media PC and game machine. It is also the cheapest BD player available.

Good luck

Collapse -
Watching Movies - Upscaler or Blu-ray
by RodsterinFL / November 10, 2007 12:27 AM PST

You describe a situation that I was in last January. My recommendation is that you consider how much you are willing to spend and how important it is to you to have a pristine picture. Since the TV is NOT 1080p you will not achieve the ABSOLUTE best and you must be accepting of that. The TV is capable of 720p and 1080i most likely so it is a matter of getting the highest signal the TV can reproduce. Someone already posted a suggestion that you purchase a Playstation 3 and that is not a bad move at all. You would obtain the most options with that move - plays standard DVD and upscales them (with updates this last year) and plays up to 1080p with Blu-ray. I ended up buying an Oppo upscaling DVD single player and a Playstation 3 and a new TV! My first purchase of a Blu-ray DVD was Pearl Harbor which I also own in standard format. Naturally I ran the "test" to see difference. I froze frames and switched back and forth on inputs and also watched segments. There IS a difference but it is most noticeable in the background detail (to me). One example was a scene where the airfield was being bombed and a utility truck and black car was in the background. In the blu-ray format you could see the car dash gauges and the hubcaps were shiny and the tire tread was noticeable on the utility truck. That detail was lacking on the upscaled standard format viewing.

I too would recommend the PS3 for you. If you watch a lot of movies though, it does take time to load and responds somewhat slower than a regular DVD player. The nice thing is that the PS3 can update and meet the new blu-ray standards too on your wireless or hard-wired network. I ended up re-buying everything. I am glad I have a good picture but it was expensive and not necessarily worth the price - hey now they have 120hz and better pictures! There is no end and consumers have to be make very careful buying decisions that include market timing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.