Samsung forum

bluetooth wireless keyboard for smart tv

by waverlyrick / June 6, 2012 2:43 AM PDT

i have just purchased a samsung 55 inch UN55ES6150 series LCD TV. using the remote to input info via the smart hub and apps is ...well.. onerous. does anyone have info about the use of a wireless keyboard with this particular series of tv? one call i made to Samsung gave info that a wireless keyboard would work, but it had to be bluetooth. however, the Samsung website indicates that their wireless keyboard would NOT be compatible with that series. (additionally, i cannot find the Samsung keyboard for sale at any retail outlet here locally.) frankly, i would be happy with any wireless keyboard if it would work....thanks for any info!! (BTW, reviews of their keyboard/remote combo have not been terribly positive..??)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: bluetooth wireless keyboard for smart tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: bluetooth wireless keyboard for smart tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
From the manual...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 6, 2012 5:03 AM PDT

Many of this year's TVs have come with ability to connect a wireless mouse or wireless keyboard. Below are instructions for how to find that area of the TVs menu to add them:

Menu > System > Device Manager
Using this function, you can set up a keyboard or mouse to use with the TV. You can view your device lists and adjust keyboard or mouse settings in this menu.

A natural question would come up is: what devices are compatible? There is no list, but there are some devices that may not be compatible.

Hope this helps!

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
bluetooth wireless keyboard for smart tv
by waverlyrick / June 6, 2012 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: From the manual...

thank you for the reply! a bit of clarification if possible: does the wireless keyboard have to be bluetooth? i want to be clear on what to buy, as i venture out today!! thanks again!

Collapse -
Re: bluetooth wireless keyboard for smart tv
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 6, 2012 6:36 AM PDT

Bluetooth only works if you have a TV with Bluetooth. The manual for that particular TV states that only Plasma TVs LED 6500 series and higher have Bluetooth. Also, I suspect that it also means this is only true for 2012 models, although I could be wrong.

So just get a normal wireless keyboard with a USB wireless dongle and try it. If it doesn't work, take it back.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
re: BLUETOOTH on my new Samsung TV
by gadjunkie01 / May 25, 2014 3:47 PM PDT

Forgive my post as I am a newbie here!
Just bought un55h6350 and DOES NOT have Bluetooth! Should i upgrade to 6400 w/bluetooth for keyboards etc..?Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
Using a Non-Samsung bluetooth dongle
by cookiebug68 / October 9, 2015 10:18 AM PDT

Has anyone tried to use a non-Samsung Bluetooth dongle to see if it would work to link up the Samsung TV Bluetooth keyboard to see if it would work? I am looking all over the web to find an answer if there are any Bluetooth dongles out there that would pair up with the Samsung Smart Wireless Keyboard.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2015 10:44 AM PDT

I've seen that tried many times and all failed.

What does work are the non-bluetooth keyboard and dongles like the Logitech K400. HOWEVER expectations are often too high on the results. That is, some expected the YouTube app to use the keyboard. Long discussions about that so I'll pause here.

Collapse -
Re: keyboard
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 9, 2015 10:54 AM PDT

If you bought the TV and the keyboard in the same shop, they surely can sell you a dongle that works with the combination also. Did you ask?

Collapse -
Function not available Samsung UA55ES8000 NSW Australia
by raysusen / June 27, 2012 10:35 AM PDT

Hiya, we purchased our model in May 2012. I just followed your instructions (cheers). However, when I clicked the link: 'keyboard (none)', it came up with: 'function not available'. I then tried the next link below: 'bluetooth keyboard', it performed a search, but could not find anything. The same for my mouse. FYI, my wireless keyboard and mouse are from last years iMac 27 inch model if this helps....? However, our TV picked up our iPhone 4s with regards to the free Samsung App for TV remote control and likewise for free Telstra tBox App :).

Would you be able to provide any further advice please? Granted it is a TV. However, I find myself increasingly wanting to respond to work emails (narrowing that separation between work and leisure Sad Regards.

Collapse -
Re: Function not available Samsung UA55ES8000 NSW Australia
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 28, 2012 2:28 AM PDT

I'd like to comment, but I have no more information than you do about Australian models because I support US products and customers. If you want Samsung help, here's the Samsung Australia portal for support:

I did a little searching myself, and I found that model is sold in New Zealand, not Australia. So it seems like that you'll have some complications that way.

But as I said above, Bluetooth only works if you have a TV with Bluetooth. Look in the manual for your TV, and see what it supports. I suspect that's going to be a case of try-and-see. So get a normal wireless keyboard with a USB wireless dongle and try it. If it doesn't work, take it back.

But we got a nice little community here that includes people from everywhere in the world, and they might have a few other suggestions to help you out.

Hope this helps you!

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Cheers HD Tech for the feedback
by raysusen / June 28, 2012 3:45 PM PDT

Hiya, many thanks for your response. I'll try the link you provided. Interesting about our model sold in NSW Australia to us, but based upon your comment it appears to be down as a model for our much loved neighbours "across the ditch" (the other side of the Tasman Sea) New Zealand. Yes, I agree, its good to have forums with input from a wider global community. I made note of such, in another Samsung forum around cracks in screens (bit of a hot potatoe that one). As you may have guessed, this forum editor is trying to turn my Australian English typing/spelling into American English typing/spelling. Cheers from down-under.

Collapse -
by TimViet / January 14, 2014 12:02 AM PST

I couldn't find "Device Manager" in Menu>System
Could you please tell me how to get to "Device Manager"
Also I seen a 2 video clips on YouTube. When those guys plugged in the usb connector for wireless keyboard they would have a flash screen that their TV detect a new device found. Mine won't even detect the new device. I don't know if I ever take options off my menu screen by accident or those options are no available for my TV model
Could you please give me some inputs? Thank for your help in advance!!!

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2014 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: UN46D7900XFXZA
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.