Laptops forum

General discussion

Bluetooth - lost, frustrated, and need help

by elorahd / September 28, 2006 11:51 AM PDT

I'm new to this Bluetooth thing. I thought it would be simple but that's not working out so well. I have a Toshiba Tablet notebook running XP Tablet edition that didn't have built-in bt so I got a usb dongle. I think it's made by Cellink. I wanted bt for this keyboard I wanted to use. So, I first loaded the dongle software. Afaik, everything loaded ok. Then I loaded the keyboard software/driver. When I click on the big orange ball, the keyboard is found. But when I right click on the device and try to pair it, I get an 'Authentication failed' error. It asks for a passcode but it's already got one in there and it won't let me change it (not that I'd know what to change it to if I could). That's as far as I can get. What am I missing?

I doubt anyone has ever used this keyboard but I'll mention it just in case: It's from freedominput.com and it's called the mini-duo. I've been trying to get tech support from them but they evidently don't know what they're talking about. So, I'm not sure if there's an issue with the keyboard or something on the pc or dongle end.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bluetooth - lost, frustrated, and need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bluetooth - lost, frustrated, and need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2006 1:03 PM PDT

Uninstall the bluetooth dongle and start over. The pairing can be trouble for some since it doesn't make sense to some that you have to type it here and there and again... I don't have your manuals for the products so I can't check them. You can help others help you by posting links to the manuals.

Bob

Collapse -
Bluetooth - lost, frustrated, and need help
by elorahd / September 28, 2006 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Do over.

I've already uninstalled everything and started over. Got the same results. I can't find the manuals online but I have the pdf's. Is there any way I can post them?

Collapse -
Yes. There are many ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2006 10:22 PM PDT

Many places you can create a web site on this.

But since it's new stuff why not return it as defective? It's obvious that the makers have blown it in some way. Yes, I even program code that does interact with and use Bluetooth but your posts don't reveal anything you've done wrong so far.

Imagine if you had a piece of bum hardware. You would never sort that out. I'd return it unless the place can show you it working.

Bob

Collapse -
Links
by elorahd / September 29, 2006 10:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
My BlueSoleil adapter had bugs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2006 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Links

Remember that I'm writing some bluetooth application? I have had numerous issues with bluesoleil but the widcomm dongle seems better. But since you have the bluesoleil, try one more time.

On page 7 of the keyboard manual I see where many could have an issue. Here's a tip. Use very very simple pairing codes. I might use 12345... so I know when I hit the keyboard to do the same I'll get it right.

Bob

Collapse -
Passkey
by elorahd / September 29, 2006 3:41 PM PDT

I don't understand the whole passkey thing. Like I said in my first post, it already has a set passkey in there an it won't let me change it. Everytime I try to pair it, it puts a different passkey in there. What exactly is it asking for? When I installed the BT software, I wasn't asked to set a passkey or even given one. What's with all the passkey business?

Collapse -
Yes, when we pair we'll have a new passkey.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2006 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Passkey

I see where it would be confusing, but stop trying to understand it and start doing exactly as the intructions indicate.

I also see where a person would put in the passkey on the PC keyboard and then get confused about using the bluetooth keyboard to type in the same key. They were not clear on that.

Let's be honest here. The badly written manual wasn't clear on that. It's also not going to teach how all this bluetooth stuff works. That is, it will not teach you all this passkey stuff.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.