Phones forum

General discussion

Bluetooth Headset for Women

by MrsDowFire / May 14, 2006 12:12 AM PDT

Has anyone seen a review for the Bluepearls BP7G Bluetooth Headset? It is made for women because it is smaller and has interchangable faceplates. I think it came out in early April. I was wondering if there were other headsets that are smaller for women or if this is the only one made specifically for women. I would like to know if anyone knows the pros and cons of this new headset or if there is anything else comparable to it in size? I've never owned a headset but am interested in purchasing one. I have the LG VX8100 cell phone. Thanks to anyone who responds to this post.

Kim

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bluetooth Headset for Women
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bluetooth Headset for Women
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a lot of choices
by tychocat / May 16, 2006 9:02 PM PDT

The BP7G doesn't look that unique in terms of mass - 7.9 grams is about a third of an ounce, and a lot of headsets are under an ounce already, too many for me to try listing. Since I doubt a sub-ounce weight in one's ear is going to wear anyone down (are women supposed to be THAT weak? I don't think so!) I'm thinking this is just clever marketing for a none-too-exceptional headset in a crowded market.

Collapse -
Guy, I don't think you understand the Bluepearls question
by ssirk / July 7, 2006 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: a lot of choices

I am going to assume that you are a guy b/c that is really the only reason I can come up with for that response. As a woman, I can totally understand the question! A woman's ears are smaller than a man's, therefore the typical bluetooth headset doesn't fit the woman's ear--it is too BIG, regardless of how much it weighs. Anything that is going to slip over the top or back of the ear to hold something in place in front of the ear canal and is ''unisex'' in size is too big for the typical-size woman. Even the Moto bluetooth that is PINK is too big. Why? B/c it was made to fit a guy, then Moto changed to color to appeal to women! What they didn't think about was making is smaller to fit women or changing the design all together to fit the different anatomy of the female ear.

I also am interested in finding an independent review for the Bluepearls headset because 1) it is small, as in made to fit the anatomy of the female ear and 2) it fits in the ear canal, rather than hanging on the ear and hovering over the ear canal.

So, how about it C-Net? Can we get a review of the Bluepearls Bluetooth, please?

Collapse -
Bluetooth for Women
by MrsDowFire / July 8, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

Thank you for the wonderful response. I didn't think that the other person that responded to my question understood that I wasn't referring to being "so weak". I still have not bought a bluetooth and am still looking for a smaller, good quality headset.

Collapse -
So, did you buy a bluetooth, yet?
by ssirk / August 26, 2006 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Bluetooth for Women

I haven't. I am really gun-shy about dropping $80+ on something that might not work out for me. Although I am getting really, really close to just breaking down and buying a Bluepearl so that I can write a stinkin' review myself! Every few weeks I do a new search; I am now finding postings from other women complaining that "yeah, we know the Bluepearls is cute, but how is the sound quality?!?" I can't believe that this product has been on the market for almost 6 mo and the only thing I can find in a Google search is that same news release that has been out there since April!

Collapse -
Still haven't bought one....
by MrsDowFire / August 28, 2006 2:09 AM PDT

Unfortunately, I haven't bought one yet. Guess I'm still waiting and looking myself. Was hoping to find something on Ebay eventually.

Collapse -
Most of the choices are POOR Quality
by dclemons / October 9, 2006 1:15 PM PDT

7.9 Grams weight - is very important to women that have smaller ears and who appreciate small -light weight technology, . THE BP7g and the BP7G Life series are not trivial enties in the blutooth marketplace. BluePearls are the first product that comes with a remote power unit that charges the Bluetooth headset 6 times with a complete charge. They have been designed with the best microphone on the market - thus, your caller can not tell its a Bluetooth headset making a call.

We designed a solution with a quality manufacture who listens to what women want. So far, the market likes the solution.

I would appreciate an opportunity to prove that to you and your friends.

CEO@profitWing.com

Collapse -
BLUETOOTH FOR WOMENS EARS ISSUE
by SAMANDMELL / December 18, 2007 1:09 PM PST

NO WOMAN HERE IS SAYING THAT WOMEN ARE WEAK, AS WIEGHT WAS NEVER MENTIONED AS THE ISSUE. wOMEN JUST HAVE SMALLER EARS, AND MOST SETS AVAILABLE ARE TO LARGE THAT IT CAUSES THE EARPIECE TO MOVE ARROUND AND FALL OFF. IT CAN NOT GET THE SNUG FIT THAT THE SAME UNIT CAN ON LARGER EARS.THE

Collapse -
OK - please cut me some slack - :)
by dclemons / September 5, 2006 12:55 PM PDT

Our goal was to create a unit designed for women. If you go to http://www.bluepearls.us/products.html you will see the pretty side - upfront. Please give us a second to explain what this means to you. Women have sensitive and smaller inner ears than men - so the designs must fit your ear size with comfort. We accomplished that with a silver-based rubber geared to slow down bacteria in the ear. Secondly we achieved a 7.9 gram weight by securing a smaller battery pack. We used the availble size in the casing for an exceptional "loud speaker" and upgraded microphone. These updated considerations were based on the comments we recieved from women users just since APRIL 2006. These units are smaller than 95% of all headsets on the market by volume and weight. So the claim is not trivial. The newer unit we announce in two weeks is both smaller and more powerful yet . The "Life" series was selected by national carriers for innovation and quality additionally it was aired on National TV based on the unique headset weight and the PowerBank. Most headsets do not have a remote - stand along charger, we were the first to introduce the Remote battery charging product that was ready for market in April of 2006 - The Power Bank is one of the most exciting inventions with in the cell - headset market. I would be glad to extend you a special "consideration" just to prove to you that this is the product for women. Just connect with me.
The reviews are widespread - but not on the internet - Let me see what I can do about that - thank you for your interests and concerns - we wish to do this right. DC

Collapse -
It's wonderful to hear from the CEO of ProfitWing...
by MrsDowFire / September 6, 2006 12:37 AM PDT

Thank you for your response to our questions regarding the BluePearls Headset. I hope you don't think I was knocking your product. I was only wanting to compare your product to anything that was similar before I made a purchase. I still haven't purchased anything but would consider your invitation for special "consideration" so that I can spread the word about your headset "for women" should it prove to be so.

Kim

Collapse -
interesting
by bluedevildare / September 7, 2006 4:11 AM PDT

Wow, what a great idea. Frankly, I'm surprised no one had tried this yet... creating stylized accessories seems like a sure thing. good luck!

Collapse -
wait...
by Meat11 / September 7, 2006 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: interesting

So are these headsets "stylistic" or ergonomically different?

Collapse -
Both
by cavoorhees / September 7, 2006 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: wait...

They are both...not only does this headset have more style it is small, light and the earbuds are smaller to fit a woman's ear.

Collapse -
So, I bought one....
by ssirk / September 13, 2006 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Both

I bought a Bluepearls Life. I have had it about 2 weeks. I like it! It fits in my ear well and is relatively comfortable (it only starts getting uncomfortable after I've had it in my ear for several hours--but that happens with any ear bud-type device, stereo headphones, etc).

It was easy to set up and use is easy as well.

The party that I'm talking to says that it sounds like I'm talking on the headset--in other words, it sounds different than when I am talking on the handset--but that they can hear my fine and I sound fine. As for what I hear at my end, the voice of the party I am talking to sounds different thru the headset than when I'm talking on the phone, but it isn't distracting or make it hard to understand what they are saying. The sound is very sensitive in that I can pick up any background noise on the other end of the phone.

When outside in a breeze, there is wind noise on both ends, but in the one instance where this occurred with me, it wasn't enough to make the sound "cut out" during the conversation.

Although I have all of the decorative faceplates, I prefer to just use the silver faceplate (I bought the silver model), so that it has a solid silver appearance. Figuring out how to change the faceplates out was a little difficult the first time, but once I figured out the mechanics of it, it was fine.

I haven't really tested the outside limits of the range of the headset from the phone yet, but I have noticed that the path really needs to be unobstructed--I notice a difference sometimes if the phone is on the opposite side of my body, then the signal can fade a little. For me, this isn't a big problem b/c I purchased it primarily for use while driving, so I rarely am trying to use the Bluepeals at a time when my phone isn't right next to me in the car.

I also haven't really tested the outside limits of how long the unit holds a charge or how long the charging cradle holds its charge--I just don't need to use my unit for hours and hours on end. Having said that, however, the standby charge has been adequate for my use. I haven't really needed to charge it yet, but since I tend to store it in the cradle to prevent loss or damage, it is getting charged back up on a regular basis.

So, overall, I am satisfied with my purchase. It serves the purpose for which it was intended, which for me is handsfree while driving, so I am satisfied with how the device performs for me under that condition.

Collapse -
What does it do besides look pretty?
by beagles4 / October 8, 2006 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: So, I bought one....

What features does it have? specifically, can it answer call waiting, call reject?
How's the volume?
Do you need an over the ear hook to keep it in place?
Will it work on either ear?
It looks great but I can't find any tech info on it.

Collapse -
Technical DATA = BLUEPEARLS !!!
by dclemons / October 9, 2006 1:24 PM PDT

The best way to get technical data is BluePearls.us web site, under the products tab. Just GOOGLE "BluePearls" the technical data is well distributed.

Standard Bluetooth V1.2 specification
Range 33 ft. (free space)
Frequency Band 2.4GHz - 2.4835GHz lsm Band
Connection Point-to-point
Weight 7.9 g
Dimensions 54 x 18 x12.3 (mm)
Talk time 12 hours
Standby time 500 hours
Output Power Class II
Power Consumption 40mA (working) ; <1mA (standby)
Battery Rechargeable Li-ion polymer 80mAh
Charging time 2 hours
Power Bank Li-ion polymer 620mAh

The Volume in the BP7G has been increased 30% based on customer feedback - we created an ear hook - there is a very good animation of our product on EBAY - just search for the product.

If you need any data on this unit that is not posted on the site please email us

we will stay on this this until we get you what you need...:)

CEO@ProfitWing.com

Collapse -
tech data
by beagles4 / October 9, 2006 1:35 PM PDT

I guess what I meant was features such as call waiting, etc. Until I checked out ebay, all I could find was the same press release from April.

Collapse -
Nothing Like A HAPPY CUSTOMER!!!
by dclemons / October 9, 2006 1:05 PM PDT

Thank you for your honest feedback. We wish to support your experience in using the BLUEPEARLS headsets.

Manufactures test their units constantly - however the true field test is always measured with customer satisfaction of a product. It would seem like the design of the unit and the functionality is meeting your personal expectations.

Our goal is to keep you as a customer - so if there is anything I can do to help you with that goal.. please email mail me directly.

CEO@ProfitWing.com

Collapse -
A not so happy customer responds
by cmlinson / May 3, 2007 12:13 PM PDT

I would just like to say that my partner and i have purchased 2 bluepearls in the past couple of months. I was really pleased with the fit of the first one and so I got her one. There are a few problems. First the second one we purchased has to be paired with the phone each and every time we use it. No other bluetooth I have used has had to be paired everytime it is used. Secondly, the same headset will no longer work with one of our phones at all.

We have called and e-mailed the company numerous times for technical support with no success. We did get one reply suggesting we delete the device from the cell phone and start over. This did not work and we replied back to no avail.

We were ready to tell all our female friends, family and co-workers to purchase this devic, but so far we have said nothing. At this point, if asked, we would steer people away from this product.

You have a good idea and a clear market, I would suggest some improvement in the follow through.

Drs. Catherine and April Linson

Collapse -
Thank you for the information.
by judehodge / October 17, 2006 10:29 AM PDT

I am an auth dealer of this product and so far have had zero returned. My customers have been happy with it so far.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I would like to see Cnet do a review as well.

Thank you, Jude Hodge

Collapse -
Contact info for the Profitwing company is a dead end
by JamesStro / December 10, 2008 5:29 AM PST

This string and company promotion would be well and good -- but the Web Site contact number goes to someone's desk (no option for sales or support). No way to ask a question or get updated information -- which seems a little suspect. Is the company in Boise or SLC? And, by inference, is the company focused on profiting from customers or delivering quality, usable products that customers want?

Collapse -
BLUEPEARLS IS JUNK!!!
by KAWGIRLVAL69 / February 3, 2009 8:42 AM PST

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!! CALL TIME IS HORRID, CANNOT BE 5 FT AWAY FROM PHONE, DISCONNECTS AND RECONNECTS ITSELF RANDOMLY, BIG PAIN TO HAVE TO CHARGE EVERY TIME YOU USE IT.

THE ONLY PRO IS ITS CUTE. BTW THE CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM BLUEPEARLS IS NON EXISTENT..HAVENT RETURNED CALLS OR EMAIL...STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.