Computer Help

Question

Blue screening after power outage question

by missa72542 / October 29, 2012 10:22 AM PDT

First off, I would just like to say I"m sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I searched through google and found this website with similar posts and was hoping I could get some help here.

Since I am not very knowledgable with this kind of stuff, you'll have to bare with me when explaining things. But this is what is going wrong:

We've had quite a few power outages today. After a few times, my boyfriend attempted to start up his computer. It came to the screen that gave us the option to start in safe mode/ safe mode with networking/with command prompt/ with the last good configuration/ and normally.

We tried clicking on all of them and they would all send us to a blue screen afterwards. The blue screen presented us with the error code: *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x8AB748B0,0xc0000102,0x00000000)
When we try to start with the 'last good configuration' option, it seems like it 'starts' to boot up to windows properly, but then just returns to the blue screen. The other options just send us to the blue screen immediately.

If anyone could help me figure out whats wrong, and how to fix it, that would be great. Also, I may need step by step instructions, since I'm not very tech savvy. Happy I don't want to mess his computer up any worse than what it already is.

Other computer specs that you may find useful:
Dell AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 3800+
windows XP

I'm not sure what else might be useful, or how I could figure it out since I cant boot to windows.

Also, we do not have any of the CD's or anything. So, if we need to do a factory reset or anything, I will need to know the instructions on doing so, without any CD's.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue screening after power outage question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue screening after power outage question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I like this old answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2012 10:57 AM PDT
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/blue-screen-and-stop-error-0x00000024-on-startup/62a7226d-749c-4832-83ba-dd21f9087d12

Don't have that XP CD? Use Hiren's MiniXP system noted at link.

"Mini Windows Xp Portable Windows Xp that runs from CD/USB/Ram Drive to repair/recover dead windows operating system. It has LAN and WLAN (Wireless) Network includes 300 WiFi/Ethernet card drivers and can also be customized easily to add your own drivers in HBCD\Drivers folder. Added some USB 3.0 and SATA/SCSI/SAS Storage drivers, Dynamic disk Spanned/Striped/Mirrored/RAID-5 Volume support, PDF Printer and VBS/WSH scripting support. Supported keyboard layouts are: United States, United Kingdom, US Dvorak, Arabic, Turkish Q, Turkish F, Swiss German, Swiss French, Swedish, Suomi Finnish, Spanish, Slovenian, Slovak, Russian, Portuguese, Polish, Norvegian Norske, Netherlands Dutch, Latin American, Italy, Icelandic, Hungarian, Hebrew, Germany, German Switzerland Luxembourg, Francais Cavier AZERTY, Denmark Daenish, Bulgarian Phonetic, Bulgarian, Brazil Portuguese, Brazil Extended Portuguese and Belgium."
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Bob
Collapse -
Answer
Power Surges = Bad News for your PC
by Unassuming_Soldier / November 7, 2012 10:21 AM PST

When the power goes out, it is many times accompanied by a power surge of some type. This pushes more electricity into your computer than it is meant to handle. Essentially, your computer gets a shock or if its a big surge, its more like being electrocuted.

Sometimes the only damage from a power outage is a Windows corruption like the one you're experiencing. However, other data and software can also be damaged. (Anything the computer was running at the time of the blackout is especially at risk, since it was in RAM and disappeared when the computer lost power.)

Further, an electrical surge can physically damage PC components. Many times a blue screen is a symptom of a hardware error.

I recommend you take steps to save any important data you have on that PC's hard drive. There are lots of places where you can find information on how to do that.

After that, purchase a good surge protector. The cheap ones usually burn out after the first surge and are thereafter useless. Even better is a power conditioner or even a UPS (uninterruptable power supply).

Once you've taken those steps, proceed with attempting to repair the computer. The Hirens disc is a great resource to use and contains all the tools you need to recover, repair, and test your PC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.