Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Blue screen when transferring data in xp

by Kristadanmark / April 17, 2013 1:26 AM PDT

Hi
I have a problem when transferring jpeg files from my Olympus camera to the pc (windows xp home edition), blue screen every time. Any suggestions to what could be the problem?

Thank you

Krista

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue screen when transferring data in xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue screen when transferring data in xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
TRUE!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 1:36 AM PDT

Right or wrong if Windows Explorer can't decode the image it can crash. There may be some decoder or software supplied by Olympus to add support for the images in question.

But it's true, and Microsoft does not consider it to be their issue to fix.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: transferring pics
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 1:41 AM PDT

If the camera stores the pictures on a SD-card, I've had great sucess by copying pics from that card with a card reader in my PC. No Olympus sofware needed at all. No reason for any crash to occur.

There are cheap card readers that you can connect to a USB-port if your PC doesn't have one.

Kees

Collapse -
Still af problem
by Kristadanmark / April 18, 2013 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: transferring pics

I have tried to get the files into the comp via email - open them from explorer, but as soon as I try to open just one, it crashes. Same thing with photos from the mobile phone.

I have also tried to transfer the photos with the olympus software, same result.

I changed the harddisk a year ago, and after that the problems started.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Thank you

Krista

Collapse -
Re: pics
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 18, 2013 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Still af problem

So you can transfer them, but you can't open them.

Then either the pictures are corrupted or the program that you use to look at them is. I'd try another program first. One of my favorites is irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com/ It's free.

Kees

Collapse -
Blue screen
by silanh / April 18, 2013 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: pics

I hate this erro. I'm working it warning and shutdown my computer Cry

Collapse -
How I work around it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2013 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Blue screen

1. Don't use Explorer for files/folders it crashes on. YIKES!
2. Use another File Manager such as Gyula's Navigator.
3. Use other image viewers like IRFANVIEW or VLC PLAYER.

Let me be very clear this is a well known issue with Windows Explorer which is not to be confused with Internet Explorer.

And let me be very clear that Microsoft has had over a decade to do something about it. I cornered a Redmondite long ago about it and the answer was "don't do that" in answer to what happens when explorer tries to render the image.

Bob

Collapse -
Not solved yet
by Kristadanmark / April 22, 2013 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: How I work around it.

I can easily open the files in either windows picture viewer or Picassa, once they are inside the computer, and I can transfer the files to my pc via usb-stick (if I put them there on another pc).

But I cannot transfer them directly from the camera/phone to the pc - it crashes as soon as I start transferring. It's a problem both using windows to transfer and olympus own software.

Can I do anything about it?

Krista

Collapse -
Re: cannot transfer directly
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Not solved yet

Obviously something is wrong, but it isn't obvious at all what that something is.

Your choice then to work-around the issue (by using another PC and a USB-stick, or by copying from the SD-card if your camera has one) or re-install the OS. I think I'd prefer the first option.

Kees

Collapse -
There it is. "olympus own software"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Not solved yet

This means there's an issue with that app and your setup. But to cure it is the same issue you find as I described. I'd forget anything that does not work and use what works for now.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.