Computer Help

Question

Blue screen on Microsoft games

by cainsmith80 / April 18, 2013 6:20 AM PDT

Hi everybody first post and just after some advice. Ive got on old windows xp sp3 pc had it for years and had this problem for as long as i can remember. When i play any microsoft game like age of empires, rise of nations, zoo tycoon etc i get the blue screen and my pc resets. I know my pc is quite old now but i can play things like dawn of war, torchlight, battle for middle earth fine no problems but anything with microsoft my pc doesnt like it. just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue screen on Microsoft games
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue screen on Microsoft games
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Blue screen (BSoD) . . .
by Coryphaeus / April 18, 2013 7:06 AM PDT

is generally a hardware or driver problem. I'd look to the graphics adapter. If it's on the motherboard I'd try a separate graphics card. I'd also look at the RAM. You need lots for onboard graphics adapters. I'd get a graphics card with lots of onboard RAM. A good one can be had for under fifty bucks.

Collapse -
Blue screen (BSoD) reply
by cainsmith80 / April 18, 2013 9:50 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. Ive got a Nvidia 7600 graphics card and 2 gb of ram installed. I can play other 3d games no problems at all, i can surf the internet and play 1080p hd movies without any issues but any game made by microsoft gives me the blue screen its strange.

Collapse -
What EXACTLY ...
by Edward ODaniel / April 19, 2013 10:11 AM PDT

does that blue screen tell you?

Fatal errors generally have a name and a stop code such as:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP: 0x100000d1

It might also even show you a file name such as tcip.sys (common with the above mentioned code)

You get us that information and it is MUCH EASIER to help with the problem.

Provide as much information as you can as only YOU are sitting in front of the machine and can see what is happening and what it is offering to assist you.

You can use the Event Viewer and look through your system and application logs for problems and information noted for each in the log.

Collapse -
Error Code
by cainsmith80 / May 2, 2013 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: What EXACTLY ...

It happened again so ive wrote the code down hope its the right one
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Tech Info

STOP : 0X0000000A 0X00000004 0X00000002 0X00000000 0X804E661F

I think thats everything. I understand it could be driver or hardware problems but what i dont get is thst its only Microsoft games and not by any others like Electronic Arts, THQ. Blizzard etc. If it was a fault wouldnt it affect every 3d game not just some. Any help would be great thanks

Collapse -
Answer
Stop 0x0a is caused by too many things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 9:29 AM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063 is technical but let me try anyway.

How long has it been since this (unknown) PC has had it's heatsinks removed, cleaned and heatsink compound replaced? That's a common issue where it pushes the machine a littler hard.

Some folk won't do this and think it's some software issue since it's just some particular game. I've learned to do this on old machines before we run up a client's bill.
Bob
Collapse -
Blue Screen
by cainsmith80 / May 8, 2013 9:11 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply. The computer is a n iQon pc with XP sp3, intel 3.6ghz processor, 2gb ram and and Nvidia 7600gs graphics card. I changed the compound about a year ago when i changed fans. If the fault happened on every game i could understand but other games that are not microsoft push the pc harder harder and it works fine.
A list of all my games if that helps
Age of Empires 2 - Microsoft - Blue screen
Age of Empires 3 - Microsoft - Blue screen
Age of Empires 3 expansions - Microsoft - Blue screen
Battle for middle earth - EA - No problems
Battle for middle earth 2 - EA - No problems
Homeworld 2 - Sierra - No problems
Jurassic park - Universal - No problems
Zoo Tycoon - Microsoft - Blue screen
Zoo Tycoon 2 - Microsoft - Blue screen
Zoo Tycoon 2 expansions - Microsoft - Blue screen
Dungeon Siege 2 - Microsoft -Blue screen
Civ 2 - Firaxis - No problems
Dawn of war all add ons - THQ - No problems
Age of mythology - Microsoft - Blue screen
Warcraft 3 - Blizzard - No problems
Rise of nations - Microsoft - Blue screen
Command and conquer generals - EA - No problems

Ive got a few other games but you can see the pattern i mean

Collapse -
That's a pretty dated machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2013 9:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Blue Screen

It sounds like MSFT is pushing the video or other driver to a breaking point. You may have to try over versions of the nvidia drivers, and one thing that usually gives up a clue. Disable the audio hardware and see if it runs.

I'm sure this has occurred before so how did you deal with it then? I found most folk reload the OS and drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
Blue screen
by cainsmith80 / May 13, 2013 12:40 AM PDT

Its happened for a few years now and i just stopped playing them to be honest but ive got all these games sitting there and wondered if anyone else had had this problem before.

Ive reinstalled xp twice over the years no difference and the drivers are thew newest i can use the very new nvidia drivers dont work properly for me as my card is the old AGP type but im using the newest ones that work

Collapse -
AGP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Blue screen

That really nails it for me. You are indeed on a machine that might not have a solution. My bet is it's a driver issue.

Did you try the disable the audio test?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.