Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Blue screen ntoskrnl.exe

by zstyle / January 23, 2005 11:42 PM PST

I have a Dell Gx400 running Windows 2000 (sp4). I am blue screening the computer when i attach anything to a usb port which is recoginized as a mass storage device (ie any usb hard drives, and/or ipod,) this machine uses usb ports fine for a pda, 2 printers and a scanner. The blue screen is a "Page_fault_in_non_paged_area" 8044d67d base at 80400000 datestamp 40d1d183 - ntoskrnl.exe can anyone help on this. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all usb drivers. This error is for onboard usb ports as well as the USB 2.0 hub i have installed. Help!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue screen ntoskrnl.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue screen ntoskrnl.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blue screen ntoskrnl.exe
by Captain-M / January 24, 2005 3:12 AM PST

There are a few things to do. Check your hardware manager that there is no yellow exclamation or questionmark, if so, disable it.
Upon bootup hit F8 key. Displays booting options. Either go to "Last known good" or "vga safemode."
Once you are in, highlight with mouse "My Computer", right-mouse click, properties, advanced, performance options, Virtual memory manager, change. You should have about 1.5 times your physical memory free hard disk space. (eg 512meg physical memory, reserve about 750meg of HDD).
If you can get in either, shut-down and reboot.
Another thing is to boot with your 2000 CD and do a manual repair", to check bad files. Have your Emergency Repair disk ready, if dont have, "locate" do a search. Good luck.

Collapse -
NTOSKRNL.EXE
by zstyle / January 25, 2005 10:44 PM PST

Well I all but gave up on this install. I ran win2k manual repair and it found a lot of files to replace. It did replace the ntoskrnl.exe file. When i booted the computer i had 10 new problems. I sorted through all of that and finally got back to where i was...a blue screen with "Page_fault_in_non_paged_area" ntoskrnl.exe whenever i plug in a usb device (usb mass storage device). I have had it!!! Concerned that there may be some physical problem I removed every pci card that i could (less video and audio cards). Put a new drive in it and put a fresh install of win2k pro on it. It works fine, so i know it is software related somehow...but how? I have SP4 installed which is one reason why the manual repair replaced so many files. In addition im confident that that was also the reason why so many problems arose after the manual repair. Any more suggestions anyone. It is personal now!!!

Collapse -
NTOSKRNL.EXE
by chopedogg / April 15, 2005 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: NTOSKRNL.EXE

Hey Zstyle have you figured this out yet? I'm having the exact same problem as you describe. Please let me know...

Thanks!

Collapse -
NTOSKRNL.EXE
by PSundancer / April 17, 2005 1:41 PM PDT

Make that 2 of us...Mine is doing it with a clean install and SP4 installed as well....Never hadit before bulding this new computer...

Collapse -
NTOSKRNL.EXE
by celticblue1994 / June 25, 2009 6:31 AM PDT

i am having the same problem also if i find a way yo fix this before you do ill let you know

Collapse -
NTOSKRNL.EXE
by jimtom1-23504792233794846932515440327821 / May 18, 2010 2:14 AM PDT

I had the opposite problem, I'd get a blue screen when my
7 in 1 USB card reader was unplugged, everything worked fine when it was connected.

I booted up in safemode with networking and checked all the USB
drivers and rolled back the one that wasn't microsoft ( it was
written by OWC, orangeware corp ) for the pci USB 2.0 4 port card
I installed. Apparently it works fine in 2000 SP3 but not SP4.

My advice is to check all the USB related drivers and make
sure they're provided by Microsoft and roll them back if they're not.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.