Windows Vista forum

Blue screen but don't think BSOD

by MikeR1949 / March 20, 2013 12:01 PM PDT

I have a HP desktop computer, approximately 4 yrs. old. A few days ago a neighbor boy tried to play a game that we've had for about as long as we've had the computer and the game was very slow loading and then froze. I had to turn off the pc and turn it back on. When it came back on the only thing I saw was a blue screen with HP Intel and a few things like f9=Diagnostics. It will not go any further. The keyboard, of course, won't work so that I can do anything. I was told by one company that it wasn't booting up and told by another that it was the BSOD. I don't think that is the case, by all the screen images I've seen online with what it is supposed to look like. This happened once before after trying to play the same game. I turned off the power and turned it back on the next day and it was ok. Not this last time though. Advice please anyone.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue screen but don't think BSOD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue screen but don't think BSOD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sounds Like You're Seeing The HP Flash Screen
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 1:27 PM PDT

It indicates the brand of computer immediately before the primary POST screen and the operating system loads.. Will the computer boot into Safe Mode? Restart the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second till a selection screen loads.. If it reaches the selection screen, use the up/down arrow keys to select "Last Known Good Configuration", the press the 'Enter' key.. Allow the computer to restart and it should restore back to the last known "good" startup routine..

If it won't load into Safe Mode and it continues to be unresponsive, then there a number of possible causes.. Start by unplugging ALL USB devices from the computer and try again.. The next most likely possibility is a BIOS or other firmware issue in the computer, (for example a card reader firmware issue)....or the hard drive may have failed. At this point, you'll need to troubleshoot the issue and a little trial and error may come into play.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Didn't fix
by MikeR1949 / March 24, 2013 11:07 AM PDT

I tried all of the above but no go. Do you have any other suggestions please?

Collapse -
Need Clues From You... Did It Boot In Safe Mode?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't fix

What happened when you attempted "Last Known Good"?

What is the make and model of the computer? Is the operating system Vista, (since you've posted here in the Vista forum), or is it something else?

You've told us nothing about your maintenance of the computer... Have you EVER removed the case cover from the computer and used compressed air to blow out all the dust and junk from around the processor, heatsink, power supply, and all vents and fans? If not, the problem may be bad capacitors, or motherboard issues, from heat damage.. something that would require a new motherboard...

Since you may have to reinstall Windows again, you have the recovery discs that came with the computer? Or possibly the Windows installation disc from which you can attempt a "repair" installation of the operating system? Most HP computers also have a recovery partition which would allow you to run a full reinstall of the operating system, plus all drivers and software back to its factory state? Do you have such, or have you check the HP website to verify whether you have that? Hopefully, you also have backups of your important files?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
HP Pavillion a6403w
by MikeR1949 / March 25, 2013 5:16 AM PDT

It wouldn't go to safe mode. Just stayed on the logo screen. I tried several times pushing the f8 key and nothing. I think I pushed every key but the system recovery key. I unplugged the card reader and started the pc again with only the monitor hooked up and that logo screen again. I left it on about 30 minutes to see if Windows would open, but no go again. Put the reader back in and powered it up again and still the same. I did blow it out about a month ago. I replaced the power supply last year because it wouldn't power up. I don't believe I got any disks with this pc except one for the monitor (looked in all my paperwork I got with it), so no Windows or any kind of recovery disk. I had backed up some of my pictures and I think I have a back up of my Paint Shop Pro but that's it. I have programs on it that I don't want to lose if possible. We're on a fixed income so not much cash to put into it. That's why I'm trying to fix it myself. I'm using a Compaq that our son gave us for now. I appreciate you taking the time to try and help.

Collapse -
HP Tells You How To Perform The Recovery W/O Discs
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Pavillion a6403w

The link is below:

Click on the link above and then click on the + sign next to "Start a recovery from the Hard drive when the computer is off".. Read the information and perform the steps to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything back to factory condition.. Your computer, unless you deleted it, has a hidden recovery partition which should get it done for you.

Your personal data will be wiped from the computer (backups of your important files are good for installing later) but it should get it up and running again.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thank you
by MikeR1949 / March 25, 2013 6:18 AM PDT

I may check to see if I can buy the disks from HP, and some flash drives, so I can back up my stuff first. I don't think I have the option to back up with Recovery w/o disks. As a last resort I will do it though. This pc our son gave us is soo slow.

Collapse -
making a back up and restore disk
by MikeR1949 / March 29, 2013 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Is it possible to make a back up and restore disk from another computer with the same OS and use it on mine, providing I can get the boot menu up?

Collapse -
Almost Never...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 1:53 AM PDT

The operating system is directly locked into the motherboard, various drivers, programs, etc. A Restore disc on a different computer, unless it's the EXACT same make and model number, will have different drivers and programs running on it and specially if the other computer is a different brand name, the recovery will be terminated because the installation "sees" that you're attempting to install it on a the wrong machine.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
What about the jumpers
by MikeR1949 / March 30, 2013 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Almost Never...

I have been reading a lot of info and there was mention of changing the cmos jumpers (I think), starting the pc, shutting down and changing them back again. As I have no idea how to try that or where the jumpers are even located, I will leave it up to someone way more knowledgeable to help with that. I am so glad for these forums and the people who answer our many questions. Thank you.

Collapse -
(NT) Never Worked Here... Correct Drivers Are Required...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: What about the jumpers
Collapse -
You won't believe this
by MikeR1949 / September 9, 2013 10:56 AM PDT

Ok, after all this time I have found out what the problem is. I caved and let my grandson look at it. He found the problem pretty fast. My front usb port and headphone jack! He said they must have been shorting it out. He unplugged them and viola it came on and he didn't even have to do a recovery so I didn;t lose anything. I now have everything important backed up.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.