TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blue-Ray players in general?

by lingChange / August 12, 2009 7:17 AM PDT

Since you cn now get a player for under $100. to several hundred, what would one actually loose by just getting one of the cheaper ones?
Blue-Ray is a standard isn't it so wouldn't they all have to meet that standard and be basically the same?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue-Ray players in general?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue-Ray players in general?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Pepe7 / August 12, 2009 7:18 AM PDT

Not necessarily. The older/cheaper/off brand ones can often be slow (sometimes problems w/ java and/or menus), and updates might hose the ability to play certain titles. YMMV. The experts will certainly chime in here with more of the gory details.

Collapse -
I use Linux (SUSE 11.1), is this a problem?
by lingChange / August 14, 2009 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

Pepe7, thanks for the reply.

I run the Linux operating system, does this create a problem updating a decent Blue- Ray?

Is the update automatic, actually I don't even know what is involved?

I sure don't want to mess with updating something if it isn't dead simple, what should I do?

Collapse -
Sadly the updating may be mandatory.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2009 5:43 AM PDT

As the "keys" are cracked they update these and while your old blu ray discs play ok your new stuff will demand new updates.

It won't matter if it's linux, or much else, the whole story won't fit in this post. If you want the full story, go read about it online. Updates are not too tough on people except those that were used to how often we had to update our VCR and DVD players.

Collapse -
Robert Heron, of HD Nation reviewed the cheap players
by minimalist / August 12, 2009 10:32 AM PDT

And he said they are both pretty good for the money as long as you understand what you are missing (the 180 dollar Vizio and the 98 dollar Magnavox).

What you give up in the cheap players are interactive features ("BD-Live" which in my view is nothing but a worthless gimmick so far) and an ethernet for updates (much more important as they happen quite often). Load speed is another issue. My two year old Sony takes 2 plus minutes to load some discs. Annoying but it still works.

Essentially the cheap players are like the more expensive ones were 2 years ago. They will certainly play discs but when you need to do a firmware update its a real pain in the butt (especially if you are on a Mac and a PC is requireted to download and burn the update like it is for my Sony). And since the Magnavox is just a rebranded no-name Taiwanese player there is no guarantee of timely firmware updates. For that reason I'd go with the Vizio because you know they will support their products. Or just keep your eyes peeled for specials on LG's, Samsungs or Sony's.

Collapse -
You want a Panasonic BD60
by jostenmeat / August 12, 2009 11:25 AM PDT

and it's $195 at Amazon.

It will have over any other player in the ballpark price range.

Three Pros:

- best PQ
- best FW support
- best/easiest/most-complete implementation of basic functions. (minimal need to delve into menu, or missing certain abilities that nobody should ever have to worry about).

2 Cons:

-They are not as fast loading as PS3 or Oppo. (but these units are substantially more in cost.)

-They cannot be forced to output DVD at 480i for the serious videophile who uses outboard VP, or has a display of fine enough quality that it does scaling/deinterlacing better than players do.

Collapse -
by jostenmeat / August 12, 2009 11:25 AM PDT

i'm not certain it can't output 480i, but previous generations could not.

Collapse -
Say what?
by lingChange / August 14, 2009 5:23 AM PDT

jostenmeat, I'm new to this stuff and don't really know what you are talking about.

Can you explain the 2nd bullet in "Cons"? How would this affect me in playing Blue-Rays/DVD's? Can it record to DVD's or do I need another device?

Collapse -
Re: Say What?
by Dan Filice / August 15, 2009 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Say what?

Josten is correct about the Panny BD player. In my humble opinion, they make the best DVD and BR player. I own a Sony PS3 and I have no complaints, and in fact, I think the PS3 is as good as the Panny, but then my PS3 cost $499. But at this point in time, I won't own a Sony DVD or BD player (had very bad luck with them), nor would I personally own some Samsung players (I have 3 friends who own the model 1600 I think, and none of them will play the Blu-Ray version of "James Bond Quantum of Solace". My meager Panasonic BD35 loads this film in seconds, has BD Live, has in internet connection for Firmware upgrades and basically is a great player. The BD60 is even better. My PS3 has the same abilities too and has never had any problems playing any BR disc.

What Josten is speaking about in his "CONS point 2" has nothing to do with burning a DVD. Yes, you need a separate DVD recorder for this. The 480i issue refers to the output resolution of the BD player, but applies to standard-def DVDs which are inherently 480i resolution compared to 1080p for Blu-Ray, and these standard DVDs you can be upconverted to a higher resolution to match the resolution of your HDTV. Basically you have two choices to upconvert a standard DVD: Use the video processor in the DVD player or the video processor in your HDTV. You need to experiment to see which gives the best result. I have all my BD players set to 1080p output for upconversion, but my TVs are set to 1080p too.

Back to the question of cheap vs. expensive BR players, the cheap ones will be able to play BR discs, but has has been stated, you may have issues with being able to play some discs, issues with being able to upconvert, issues with being able to play audio CDs or display jpeg images on a CD or memory stick. The Go-Video DVD/VHS combo players sold like hot cakes, but I can tell you from personal experience, they were absolute junk. As the old saying goes sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Collapse -
Thanks to ALL for your help.
by lingChange / August 16, 2009 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Say What?

Thanks guys I really appreciate your help and comments.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.