Samsung forum

General discussion

Blue Ray BD-c6500 - Netflix trouble !

by samsungbduser / March 6, 2011 3:17 PM PST

My Netflix App stopped working and I called samsung support. They upgraded the firmware to 1020.1, and with it came another version of Netflix, which wouldn't work either. (all other apps work just fine)

Samsung support says they have recieved other similar complaints, and will likely release a fix soon. I dont know how sooon 'soon' is. The whole point of paying a premium for the wifi c6500 was Netflix, and without that its wasted time and money for me.

Has anyone had my problem, and found a way out ? Please share. Thank you.

(my Samsung ticket #: 201 309 9362).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue Ray BD-c6500 - Netflix trouble !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue Ray BD-c6500 - Netflix trouble !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blu Ray C6500 Netflix issue.
by Theabyss3 / March 9, 2011 6:52 AM PST

Watched Netflix on first day I signed up. Went to use it the next day and repeatedly received the message: Not connected to the Internet. Please check your connection and try again. <Exit>
Everything else worked (apps), like mentioned by samsungbduser.
Tried unplugging everything. Didn't work.
Don't understand how it worked one day, and the next it does not.

I have not found a fix or solution, but also hope to find one.

Collapse -
Blu Ray C6500 Netflix issue.
by Sam1010101010 / March 9, 2011 7:15 AM PST

My C6500 shows firmware: HTB-C6500WWB-1014.1

it says there are no updates available. And my Netflix app has stopped working as well. All other apps seem fine. I am able to watch videos on YouTube. Netflix insists I am not connected to the internet.

Collapse -
BluRay C6500 Netflix Issue
by mmboo / March 9, 2011 8:02 AM PST

I had the same problem occur today as well. My kids were watching a movie this morning and this afternoon it has given me the same message "Not connected to the Internet. Please check your connection and try again. <Exit>". Pandora and VUDU all work fine & the network test comes out ok as well. I would love to know a fix as well.

My firmware is 1020.1

Collapse -
How to fix BD-C6500 Netflix not connected to internet error
by s_r_harper / March 9, 2011 8:29 AM PST

I had the same error today. I chatted with Samsung tech support and he told me to reset the player. You have to remove any disks from the player and then press the stop button on the front panel of the player for 5 seconds. This will cause it to reset. You will have to reactivate internet@tv and Netflix which is annoying but it does the trick. Good luck.

Collapse -
Hot to fix C6500 Netflix issue
by Theabyss3 / March 9, 2011 9:10 AM PST

Just for anyone tracking this... I did the factory reset as suggested. System went through all the downloads and updates again... Took around 20 mins. Netflix worked fine after that. I don't know if this will end up being temporary fix or not. It would be overly bothersome to have to do factory resets every time you want to view Netflix, so I'm hoping this is just a glitch.
Again, the factory reset method worked so far.

Collapse -
C6500 Netflix update...
by Theabyss3 / March 10, 2011 6:07 AM PST

Worked for 26 minutes this evening... then just stopped in the middle of a program. Then went to the error of being unable to connect again. Very frustrating. No solid answer found yet.

Collapse -
Re: Blue Ray BD-c6500 - Netflix trouble !
by samsungbduser / March 10, 2011 7:46 AM PST

yeah no luck here either. Mine connects to the Internet, but fails when 'getting titles'. We usually have Samsung_HD tracking this forum - I guess they are missing from this thread because they dont have a solution. This sucks !

The good news is its a free market. Netflix isn't the only service around - Samsung isn't the only streaming option. There's the new Amazon Prime, Vudu, iTunes etc etc., and the with new iPad you can mirror the tablet on the TV in HD !

People looking at buying products look around for reviews, and when threads like these show up in search, they reconsider buying decisions. There wont be too many suckers after us !

Collapse -
by Barnabizer / March 10, 2011 9:46 AM PST

I am having the same problem. It only gets to the 'getting titles' and quits. I just bought this player yesterday and so far I have only had hours of frustration. Has anyone found a fix?

Collapse -
Blu-Ray Samsun Frustration Continues
by Theabyss3 / March 10, 2011 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: Frustrated

The following will probably be pretty long, and I don't know if it will copy correctly or be easy to read... but I thought I'd try to share what the live Samsung tech fellows sent me via a link:

Netflix Movie Does Stream, But Playback Is Slow
Since your Blu-ray, Router, and Modem are able to stream Neflix, we know all components
are connected and working. However, if playback is slow or your video quality is poor this
can be caused by several different factors such as:
? Bandwidth fluctuations
? Router settings and firmware
? Signal Strength (Router)/ Distance
Bandwidth Fluctuations
Bandwidth refers to the rate at which traffic is carried by your network. The video quality
of the movies and TV programs you stream vary based on your actual internet connection
speed. For example, in order to stream HD titles from Netflix a high speed internet
connection, typically 5 Mbps or higher, is required. DVD quality streams require at least 2.4
You can diagnose your internet speed by performing a speed test, however, keep in mind
that a momentary test of bandwidth does not indicate bandwidth availability throughout a
full length movie. Bandwidth can fluctuate for several different reasons including:
? Downloading music, streaming media, and online game playing can reduce the
amount of bandwidth available for streaming a Netflix movie or series. Doing all or
any of these while trying to watch a movie will reduce the amount of available
? Additional usage on the ISP network may affect your bandwidth availability
(especially in cable broadband networks, as residences in the same neighborhood
share ISP bandwidth), so as more of your neighbors go online, the amount of
available bandwidth goes down.
? Satellite ISP's may enforce more stringent 'fair use' policies than other ISP's so you
may experience more drops in bandwidth. Meaning that the Satellite provider equally
divides the amount of available bandwidth to you and other users as demand
To perform a speed test click here, your browser will be redirected to McAffee website.
Make sure you have no other connections using bandwidth at the time of the test for
accuracy. Also perform the test at different times of the day and week to get a better idea
of the amount of bandwidth available. Stop any of the following online activities before
performing your test:
? Online gaming
? Using any P2P (Peer to Peer) or file sharing software like Kazaa
? Using any social networking sites like Facebook
SAMSUNG's Digital World - Support Page 1 of 4 3/10/2011
Remember, speed tests may show a momentary test of bandwidth and are used as a
general tool in understanding bandwidth availability. For example, you may see an increase
in your internet speed at later times such as 2-3am, when the average internet traffic is
the lightest and your local loop is not over burdened.
Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) that provides your DSL, Cable, or other
broadband network service and ask what speed you should be receiving under your current
plan, and whether you are actually receiving that speed. Some providers can provide a
signal boost at the source if you're not receiving the speed that you should.
Router Settings And Firmware Updates
Most routers have settings for Transmit rate and QoS (Quality of Service). Transmit Rate
lets the router work at a specific speed for wireless transmissions and should be set to
AUTO. QoS refers to the different priorities you can set, so that a certain level of
performance is obtained. For example, you can set the priority to a streaming device as
higher than you would for a Blue-tooth device, printer, portable, etc.
Each router manufacturer has a unique configuration tool, along with documentation and
instructions for configuring your network. To enter the configuration tool, you must open
your web browser and enter the router's IP address in the address bar. You will need to
know the user name and password to enter your routers configuration page. The default
username and password varies by manufacturer, often the username is left blank and the
password is admin, or vice versa. Check the bottom of the router for default settings or
check the documentation that came with the router.
Due to the multiple router manufacturers, router configuration, and liability we can only
provide general information, however, here is a list of popular router manufacturer sites
that offer technical support. If your routers manufacturer is not listed here, please perform
a search using your favorite search engine. Clicking any of the links below will redirect your
browser to the site selected.
? Belkin: Belkin: Technical Support
? D-Link: D-Link: Technical Support
? Linksys: Linksys: Technical Support
? Netgear: Netgear: Technical Support
Firmware Updates
If performance from you router seems sluggish, freezes intermittently, or drops
connections, it may require a firmware upgrade. Firmware upgrades are free downloads
provided by the router manufacturers, to implement network and security protocols, apply
a fix, increase network connectivity, etc.
To find out if a firmware upgrade is available for your router, visit the manufacturer's web
site and follow the instructions exactly as provided by that manufacturer.
Warning: Firmware upgrades are model specific, you may cause your router to stop
working if you apply it incorrectly, or for the wrong model. For these reasons, we cannot
provide further instructions, nor can Samsung be held liable for issues resulting from a
router firmware upgrade.
SAMSUNG's Digital World - Support Page 2 of 4 3/10/2011
Signal Strength (Router)/ Distance
There is no way to know the exact range of your wireless network, and performance varies
depending on wireless network hardware, physical barriers or signal interference from other
radio devices.
Wireless devices have limitations when it comes to their range. For devices running on 2.4
GHz, the range can be as far as 100-150 feet. If your wireless network is above its range,
consider relocating the device. Distance is directly related to signal strength. The further
you are from your router, the weaker the signal strength.
Physical Obstructions
Wireless routers are affected by obstructions that may lead to weak signal strength. Signals
can be affected by obstructions such as cabinets, mirrors, metal or glass objects, and thick
walls or ceilings. Every obstacle placed between a wireless router and a wireless device will
create signal loss. If you have any of these objects between your wireless router and
wireless device, consider relocating your wireless router to get around the obstruction and
make sure the antenna(s) are pointing towards the BD Player.
Wireless Interference
Neighboring wireless networks or any appliance that operates on the same frequency as
your wireless device (ex. 2.4 GHz) may cause interference and may affect your wireless
connection and signal.
Common sources of interference are:
? Neighboring wireless networks
? Microwave ovens
? 2.4 GHz cordless telephones
? Bluetooth devices
? Wireless baby monitors
Try changing the channel as this may eliminate interference affecting only one channel.
Preferred channels to use are 1, 6 and 11 since they're considered non-overlapping
Due to the multiple router manufacturers, router configuration, and liability we can only
provide general information, however, here is a list of popular router manufacturer sites
that offer technical support. If your routers manufacturer is not listed here, please perform
a search using your favorite search engine. Clicking any of the links below will redirect your
browser to the site selected.
? Belkin: Belkin: Technical Support
? D-Link: D-Link: Technical Support
? Linksys: Linksys: Technical Support
SAMSUNG's Digital World - Support Page 3 of 4 3/10/2011
? Netgear: Netgear: Technical Support
Service Feedback

Collapse -
This is BS!
by emailtogreg / March 18, 2011 1:18 PM PDT

This is BS!!!! Netflix would not load so went to Settings->Network->Network Status... It says I'm connected wireless locally but not to the internet (Internet & Netflix works fine with other devices) -- went to Network->Network Settings->Network Test... Passes everything except the last one... "Internet Service Test "The HTTP port is disabled. Please check if the HTTP port is blocked by something like the internal firewall." I'm about to throw this thing against the wall.

Collapse -
Same BS
by emailtogreg / March 18, 2011 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: This is BS!

OK so after 20 mins searching the interweb and not finding any clear answers - I figured I'll run the Network Status again... it said now I'm connected! I go to Internet@TV... it starts to download and CRASH - stops middle of downloading any apps. So I go check the Network Status and now I'm disconnected.

Collapse -
How is this possible?
by emailtogreg / March 18, 2011 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Same BS

OK so again it says I'm connected to the internet and then not... I was using this for about 3 months without any problems and was quite happy with it. I used to be able to connect to my wifi and use Netflix with no problems.

Now it's just a paperweight! I'm reading around in other forums that it could have something to do with my router... but how can a big company like Samsung produce such a dumb product. Every other device I use with my router/wifi works fine! I have a Verizon Westnell modem/router so I'm sure there are a lot of other users like me out there.

Now I'm really disgusted and angry over a stupid dvd player. I can't believe this product still have a high rating. I hope you're happy Samsung - you robbed me of $200+ and left me with nothing but hours of frustration.

Collapse -
by jjdnfjwdnjw / March 1, 2014 2:39 PM PST

I know this sounds absolutely silly, but it worked! Just finished a live chat with Netflix and was told to punch in the following using the arrows on my remote.. Up up down down left right left right up up up up. It then takes you to a page where you have the option to deactivate. Do that and once that is complete, reclick on the app and sign back in. I know it sounds crazy but it worked and I am now back to successfully watching Netflix! Hope this helps!

Read more: Netflix app on TV stuck at "Retrieving Titles"? - New netflix account, trying to access on Samsung Smart TV N46D6050TF through a wireless connection. TV shows YouTube, etc. Netflix stuck at "Retrieving Titles". Netflix account works on IPAD2. Thanks, Dave :: Ask Me Fast at

Collapse -
Same Trouble
by flaviss / April 2, 2011 6:35 AM PDT

Same problem as everyone else. C6500 with firmware 1020.1 now won't connect to Netflix after months of functional use.

I tried the hard reset option above and now it is giving me errors in setting up my wireless - it has a problem with the default gateway - worked fine when set it up originally and I have the same router and network.

It is disappointing that this has been an issue for almost a month now with no official response from Samsung with a resolution. Netflix was probably the main reason for everyone to purchase this model over others and Samsung is not able to make good on its device offerings as far as I am concerned this is falling under the 'lemon' designation.

Additionally, while setting up the router password I was extremely!!!! frustrated with the interface. People haven't accepted a plain numbe rpad to text on for quite a few years, demanding full keyboards and Samsung has the whole expanse of the TV screen to work with rather than a tiny phone so why resort to the horribly inefficient and time consuming method of number pad entry for network passwords which are long and involved. It literally took me over ten minutes just to enter in those 22 characters. Whatever moron came up with that design should be demoted and whoever manages that employee and OKed that feature should be fired because they are incompetent at producing a god product.

My Sony internet TV doesn't have any of these problems ....

Collapse -
Did you try?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Trouble
Collapse -
Found a solution for me...
by emailtogreg / April 3, 2011 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try?
Collapse -
Netflix message "not connected to the internet"
by jonfuller129 / April 4, 2011 9:26 AM PDT

I have spent hours working on this problem with my BD-D5700 by Samsung. The samsung support couldn't even figure it out after hours on the phone, c'mon samsung!Every app worked fine except Netflix. Just got the "not connected to internet" message every time i tried to connect. The answer was simple; make sure the time/time zone is set on your blu ray player. Netflix requires a date stamp to connect.

Collapse -
Possible solution for samsung blu-ray and netflix

In my experience with a BD-C5500 samsung player.

Collapse -
Set the time/time zone on Samsung BD-D5700
by jchanchan / July 17, 2011 3:23 PM PDT

Thank you jonfuller129! Just set the time zone and Netflix working again, hopefully for a while.

Collapse -
BD-C6500 and Netflix
by mperu99 / June 16, 2011 1:04 AM PDT

I have very same or similar issues. One minute my player will access Netflix the next time it wont. "not connected to internet error" or not able to access netflix , or hangs on getting titles, I have the latest firmware but still have same issue. I have reset the unit more than 20 times since i have upgraded the firmware over 4 months ago and I am getting more pissed by the minute. I have talked to samsung support and TIER 1 cannot do anything all they do is suggest i contact TIER 2,

NO!! HOW ABOUT SAMSUNG FIX THE ISSUE AND let us download the new firmware fix. because what is TIER 2 going to be able to do? nothing.. but to ask me to reset the unit yet again..

Pressing and holding the STOP button will tell you its going to reset , you have to go thru the setup process again..
HOW ANNOYING is that over 20 times!!

F>U> ScamSung! FIX THE P.O.S already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Did you adjust the MTU setting on your Router?
by ebj75-24072030360545808048011199867441 / June 16, 2011 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: BD-C6500 and Netflix

Have you tried lowering the MTU setting on your router? In May I had to lower it to 1492. About 2 days about, Netflix stopped working again. I had to lower to 1476.

Collapse -
RE: Adjust MTU
by mperu99 / June 16, 2011 5:41 AM PDT

yes, i have adjusted MTU, several times, i am currently at 1444 and its making everything else worse, slowing everything else down. I would normally agree to that concept, however, every single time I reset the unit it works fine., there is something wrong with my unit. Hell even trying to play DVD's has issues, until i hard reset it.. then everything works great for a while. I am just as upset with this as most are.. I can tell you this, when i pulled it out of the box, with the older firmware, 2 levels back, didnt have this kind of problem. other than some wireless settings not being saved all the time, but netflix, vudu, pandora worked flawlessly back then.

Collapse -
by flaviss / June 16, 2011 11:24 AM PDT

Collapse -
Resources to help adjust MTU
by ebj75-24072030360545808048011199867441 / June 16, 2011 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: HUH?

Collapse -
Nteflix not working, different reason
by robsey22 / August 20, 2011 12:39 AM PDT

Hi all,
For about a month now every time we select a Netflix title it will start to load and then the message, "we are unable to access this title at this time. Please try again later or pick a different title." Problem is- this happens for every title we pick. I have spent over 10 hours on this issue. I have called my ISP, wireless router company, Netflix and Samsung. I have tried everything from resetting the modem, to changing my modem settings, resetting time zone, changing to a wired connection, restored to factory setting and reinstalled everything I don't know how many times. Just got an automatic firmware update..... no luck.

Collapse -
Just one problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 1:13 AM PDT

Netflix writes and maintains that app so back to Netflix. It's a shame this item fails for some but not all. It would be easier for everyone if it did outright fail.

Be sure to call it in and if you call Samsung be sure to get your transaction number and tell them what you want.

I fear this area may be the undoing of the internet access on appliances. Folk want appliances to just work but here we have a system with parts from Samsung, Netflix, your ISP, a modem and a router then all the configuration that not one of those parties will do for you.

Collapse -
Re: Just one problem
by robsey22 / August 20, 2011 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one problem.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply Blush .

Collapse -
There is that jiggle the ha ndle idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Just one problem

Over in the CNET Networking Forum I created a post to collect ideas just for Samsung owners. While I don't see any more problems with Samsung in the real world, CNET has a Samsung forum so it was appropriate to collect those tips there.

One of the best things we have is to change the security up to WPA2 AES with the router defaults as well as using another DNS.

HOWEVER this is why I fear folk will not like internet on TV. Too much fiddling.

Collapse -
Same problem here
by michellealfa / August 21, 2011 12:51 PM PDT

I have had the same problem all day long. Started with a call to Netflix they blame Samsung. Called Samsung since all other apps are working its a Netflix issue. Called Netflix back now its a router issue instructing me to call Linksys. Call Linksys gee guess what they said its a Netflix issue. Out of patience and people to call. Good luck.

Collapse -
Same problem here
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 23, 2011 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem here

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.