Mac OS forum

General discussion

Blue Box with question mark inside.instead of pictures

by dattaforit / June 26, 2009 12:17 PM PDT

I have a imac where there are suppose to be pictures i get a blue box with a question mark inside. it happens on both safari and firefox. it is as if the web page does not recognize that picture. I tried everything redownloading Flash Quicktime and java. I went to quicktime and made sure only the quicktime box is checked. it is like my pictures don't show up and are replaced with the blue box with the question mark inside. I am not the only one with this problem apple calles it the Blue box of death. I tried everything. Anybody know how to fix this problem

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue Box with question mark inside.instead of pictures
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue Box with question mark inside.instead of pictures
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd start with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2009 10:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) give us a couple of links that it happens on.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 26, 2009 11:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
Blue box question mark instead of picture
by dattaforit / June 28, 2009 10:29 AM PDT

Here is an example website reading-computer-box-co html

Collapse -
Bad site coding
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 28, 2009 11:06 PM PDT

I ran this site through the W3C site validator and it did not do well.
44 errors and 2 warnings, some involving images.

If this is one of your regular sites, I would consider contacting the webmaster with the problem, which is not a Mac problem. The problem is that the site is badly coded and does not conform to the XHTML standard that it purports to be in.
A good webmaster will take notice and correct the issue, a not so good one will tell you that it works with Internet Explorer.
The fact that the site does not work with Firefox or Safari should be a point for them.

You can find the W3C validator Here

Collapse -
blue question mark
by bjane66 / September 16, 2010 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad site coding

I think this is a mac problem. I went to the mac web page and there is one image that appears to me as a blue question mark instead of an image. It is also on various other sites as well.

Collapse -
Which Mac page?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 16, 2010 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: blue question mark

If this was a Mac problem and not an individual problem, this blue question mark thing should be there for all of us

Collapse -
Same problem with the blue question mark of death.
by KDaw123 / October 9, 2010 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Which Mac page?

I'm having the same issue, but facebook seems to be the only site that it doesnt work on. I have MBP, but also a PC. My PC can view all the photos without any problem. However none of the browsers I use Chrome, Firefox or Safari are able to view the photos.

Please help!

Collapse -
Did you resolve your problem? How?
by gtoribio / August 21, 2012 5:15 AM PDT

A friend is having this problem right now, the exact way you described it. Would be interested in passing on any information you might be able to provide. Thanks. Pls. email me also at Many thanks.

Collapse -
blue box on main page
by elkscout / April 28, 2012 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad site coding

tried your suggestion, used the link and entered URL of problematic site- it came back w/ over 18 errors, and this was a forum site. good grief. thanks for posting.

Collapse -
Try making your connection secure "https" vs. "http"
by KenoTy / January 14, 2012 2:12 AM PST

I was having the same problems and it's because of your security settings.

Collapse -
by elkscout / April 28, 2012 11:21 PM PDT

this is an extremely half-baked suggestion!

Collapse -
HTTPS images

I ran into this problem on my own site and it turned out that I had mistakenly used httpS URLs for my image src values when the rest of my page was not HTTPS.

My images were being stored on Amazon S3 so I had to use the whole http://blah.blah.blah URLs instead of relative URLs. I used S3 Browser to pull the URLs and I guess that utility automatically added the "s" to "http".

It won't help if you don't control the source of the page, but there may be a safari setting somewhere that doesn't enforce that the whole page is or is not delivered over HTTPS. Of course there are some security concerns if you don't enforce https consistency on a page so adjust with care.

Collapse -
Delete certificates
by nagleinad / November 13, 2012 8:37 PM PST

Try deleting the certificates assigned previously. Go to Keychain access and delete the login certificates. *only the ones that you think might cause the problem. eg. * restart safari.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.