TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blu Ray DVR & Blu Ray Player In One Unit ?

by BoBo1--2008 / January 15, 2010 9:03 AM PST

I'd love to buy a single DVR unit that features DVD recording, playback, disc copy backup, computer interfacing (bi-directional firewire), with built-in DVD authoring/burning, .....all of these features must be Hi Def / Blu Ray video capable, .....as well as have Firewire and HDMI input/output connections so that I can record 1920x1080 video from my HD video camcorder and external Hard Drives.

Does such a unit exist? Four years ago I bought a Pioneer 520HS which provided all of this in StanDef video.

I recently asked this question of Pioneer and Panasonic customer service, and they said NO, and have no plans to offer such a unit.

Some satellite and cable providers offer a DVR as part of their subscriber options, but none of these DVR units have external input connections (HDMI, Firewire) to record consumer HiDef signals, such as recording 1920x1080 video output from camcorders!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blu Ray DVR & Blu Ray Player In One Unit ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blu Ray DVR & Blu Ray Player In One Unit ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BluRay DVR & Blu Ray Player In One
by IraF1 / January 15, 2010 12:06 PM PST

I'm not sure i going to answer your question in its entirety, but here goes.
I have the LG BD390, it is not a "BURNER" but can play everything from BD-ROM,AVCHD,DVD+/-R DVD+RW,Dual DVD+R, CD's as well as CD-RW. Also plays AVCHD if the DVD is formatted that way.Also includes a USB port in front of the unit. You can record using this USB port to your HD camera since you have one, but as i said the LG BD390 cannot burn.
It can also be networked which i have done so i can play a movie on my home computer and view it in the living room or do instant streaming from Blockbuster.

Does have HDMI as you mention, NO FIREWIRE

USB for HardDrive

Firewire for tapes, not on HD camcorders that use HardDrives, although the older camcorders do have firewire that provide HD or standard Definitions.

Specs:

General
Brand LG
Model BD390
Name Network Blu-ray Disc Player
Player Type Blu-ray Player
Color Black
Playback
Disc Changer 1-Disc
Disc Playback Capability Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW, Blu-ray Disc, BD-R, BD-RE, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
File Playback Formats MPEG2, MPEG4 AVC, SMPTE VC1, AVCHD, DivX, DivX HD, MKV
Specification
Video D/A Converter 148Mhz / 12-bit
Audio D/A Converter 192KHz / 24-bit
Decoder Linear PCM, Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital 2 ch Down Mix, Dolby Digital, dts
DVD Upconversion 1080p
Video NTSC: 60Hz

Deep Color (HDMI)

x.v.Color (HDMI)

Composite Output: Up to 480i

Component Output: Up to 1080i

HDMI Output: Up to 1080p (24 & 60Hz)
Audio Signal/Noise Ratio: 100dB
Remote Control Universal
Power Supply AC120V, 60Hz
Connectors
Connectors Digital Audio Out/Optical: 1

Digital Audio Out/Coaxial: 1

Audio L/R Out: 1

Audio Discrete 7.1 Channel Out: 1

Component Video Out: 1

Composite Video Out: 1

HDMI Out: 1 <---------

LAN (RJ-45): 1 <--------

USB (A): 1 <-------
HDMI 1 <-------
Feature
Feature Netflix Instant Streaming Ready <--------

YouTube <-------

DLNA
Dimension
Height 2.2"
Width 17"
Depth 10.9"
Weight 6 lbs.

I also have got it to display Blockbuster movies instant streaming which took a little programming. <--------
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by BoBo1--2008 / January 15, 2010 8:18 PM PST

Hi IraF1,

Thanks for responding. The LGBD390 was in fact one of the units that caught my eye, but as you mentioned, it is a ?player? and not a ?burner?.

Furthermore, it really isn?t a DVR Recorder because it lacks a hard drive for video recording.

I guess what I?m asking for doesn?t exist. Although TiVo comes close, it doesn?t offer those external inputs for recording consumer video sources, and besides, requires subscription fees which I refuse to pay.

As I mentioned, my old Pioneer 520HS (which still performs beautifully) does all of the things I want to do, but only in Standard Definition:

-Records standard def video from my Sony and Canon firewire camcorders

-Records to hard drive my iMac Final Cut Express edited movies

-Plays back to the iMac those stored movies via Firewire (bi-directional)

-Provides simple editing, titling, chaptering of the hard drive stored videos

-And burns a standard def DVD of the hard drive stored/chaptered video

-Plus has a built in tuner, has multiple input and output connections including the digital audio.

So, I will keep looking and I thank you again for taking the time putting together a comprehensive response.

PS: I am aware of third party software for burning BluRay DVD?s via Roxio?s Toast 10, having tried it because Apple strangely has yet to provide any BluRay or HiDef burning hardware/software. Toast 10 will provide for BluRay burning, but does a lousy job providing the editing/menus/chaptering functions that I am used to.

Thanks again,
BoBo

Collapse -
by evolvtyon / March 12, 2012 10:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
probably won't work in the U.S.
by Pepe7 / March 12, 2012 1:34 PM PDT

That model's for Europe, unfortunately.

The cable and sat providers here in the U.S. don't want such competition for products/services they sell ;(.

Collapse -
probably won't work in the U.S.
by evolvtyon / March 12, 2012 11:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
Not to my knowledge (n/t)
by Pepe7 / March 12, 2012 11:56 PM PDT

n/t

Collapse -
I double you will *ever* find such a beast
by Pepe7 / March 12, 2012 1:38 PM PDT

If you want your entire punch list covered, you will need to build your own PC. No standalone device will be able to systematically handle such minutia. OTOH, with the right hardware/software, it's possible to do 99% of it via a DIY rig.

Collapse -
Correct
by Dan Filice / March 14, 2012 5:29 AM PDT

Pepe, you got it correct. The broadcasters and other sources for HD content spent millions (still spending too) on providing HD content to the masses. They want us to keep buying or renting their HD services, so they aren't too keen on giving us the ability to record their HD content and never needing them again.

Collapse -
I saw a Channel master device today
by Pepe7 / March 14, 2012 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Correct

Some folks have asked here if there was a standalone DVR which was not connected to either a cable or satellite company/contract. Well, yesterday I saw a Channel Master standalone DVR, which supposedly picks up OTA HD content (etc.) and has a halfway decent GUI for an HDTV. I was intrigued until I saw the price. Most folks looking for such an item will probably balk at the $399 price tag, but considering you would avoid monthly fees, perhaps there's a sliver of a market for such a product(?) This is the model:

http://www.channelmaster.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.