Samsung forum

General discussion

Blu Ray DVDs not loading

by ajjack63 / June 14, 2010 10:33 AM PDT

Until 2 days ago I never experienced a problem with the Samsung not playing DVDs. Now 2 of the past 3 have not loaded. Can anybody please help? Is there a head cleaner similar to what movie cassettes have?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blu Ray DVDs not loading
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blu Ray DVDs not loading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blu Ray DVDs not loading
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 15, 2010 5:14 AM PDT

ajjack63,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

DVDs don't present the same firmware-necessary challenges that Blu-Ray discs sometimes require, so it may be that the unit requires servicing. You might try resetting the unit by pressing and holding down the FF>> button on the player to reset the unit.

If that doesn't work, you may want to consider calling 800-SAMSUNG for further troubleshooting or repair.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Invictus; Blu Ray DVD wont play on Samsung BD-P3600
by Jupiter760 / July 13, 2010 4:01 AM PDT

Netflix sent me a replacement and it does the same thing the 1st copy did.

Perfectly plays all the comercials before the MAIN ATTRACTION -- INVICTUS.

Then after all those unwanted commercials a small disk in the center of the screen starts loading....... after about 45 seconds. it FREEZES. and that's all folks -- nothing.

Any tips?

Also Samsung tech said it may be helpful to reset by holding FF button down. Is that with the power on or off?

Thanks

Collapse -
Invictus; Blu Ray DVD wont play on Samsung BD-P3600
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2010 7:04 AM PDT

Jupiter760,

That's with the power ON, and the disc tray empty.

Keep me posted.

I noticed you said DVD - just wanted to clarify that this was Invictus DVD rather than Invictus Blu-Ray.

If you're not able to get the result you're looking for, I'll send that up as a title to test.

--HDTech

Collapse -
NO JOY on INVICTUS BLU RAY
by Jupiter760 / July 14, 2010 8:12 AM PDT

Thanks for your support! Will be a consideration when I buy the next Blu Ray. My TV is an LED SAMSUNG also.

Did the reset as you prescribed. INVICTUS still doesn't play. IT IS a BLU RAY not a DVD. I have had Netflix send me two now and tomorrow I will get a 3rd INVICTUS BLU RAY to try. No Joy yet!

The commercials play GREAT, but that little disk spins for a while than FREEZES before the main course. Only way out from there is to power down and start all over again.

Was not to crazy about the reset as I had to re-enter all info including the WIFI password. Although INVICTUS didn't play, I did notice streaming from Netflix improved significantly.

Thanks

DO ask Samsung to test INVICTUS.

Collapse -
NO JOY on INVICTUS BLU RAY
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2010 9:22 AM PDT

Jupiter760,

I've put in the request for the Blu-Ray moments ago. It may take a few extra days (there are a few titles ahead of that), but I'd like to look into this more.

--HDTech

Collapse -
SAMSUNG BD-P3600 Refuses to play 3rd copy of INVICTUS!!!!!
by Jupiter760 / July 15, 2010 6:30 AM PDT

Here is additional objective data that something is wrong.

Thanks for your help and am looking fwd to some info.

Collapse -
No Joy Here Also on Invictus Blu Ray
by andradupont / July 18, 2010 1:56 PM PDT

Dear Samsung: I have the exact same problem w/Invictus Blu Ray on a BD-P1600. Trailers/Previews play fine, but player hangs with a frozen disc image before displaying the main menu. I must power down to get out of it.

I have the latest firmware, and a 4GB USB Flash drive installed. Let me know ASAP when you get a firmware fix for this.

Collapse -
Same prob w/ Terminator: Salvation
by ffhyatt / July 17, 2010 7:07 AM PDT

I have a BD-3600 that exhibits the same reaction with Terminator: Salvation. Tried new discs from Netflix but no go. Tried the resets & checked firmware version too. Still just get the frozen disc icon.

Will watch for further posts

Collapse -
Samsung HD Tech
by hey_ricky / August 3, 2010 8:30 AM PDT

Please provide a status for the fix to this widespread problem. I would appreciate some sort of recognition of the issue pertaining to the firmware update recently downloaded. A timeframe...days, weeks, months would be nice.

Right now avoiding all WB videos until the problem is resolved. Hopefully I do not have to replace my unit. My confidence in the Samsung product line is waning...be responsive to the problems we are experiencing if you want to keep us as customers.

Frustrated in Huntsville AL

Collapse -
SamSung TECH:
by Jupiter760 / July 18, 2010 11:59 PM PDT

When I read the guys post, NOTE the TITLE: He says BLU RAY DVD. That is the same description I initially used --until your input.

FEEL VERY CERTAIN he also has the identical problem we are experiencing.

We all appreciate your efforts and Samsung's for enabling you to gather important feedback concerning an expensive item we purchased from SAMSUNG. Makes me feel better.........

Collapse -
Blu-Ray Disc (BD) vs Blu-Ray DVD
by andradupont / July 19, 2010 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: SamSung TECH:

Dear Jupiter760,

I believe the SamSung Tech was trying to clarify in his earlier note if your problem was with a DVD or with a BD which are the initials for Blu-Ray Disc. There is no such thing as a Blu-Ray DVD.

I think it is clear that we are both experiencing problems with a BD.

Collapse -
Just wanted to be Sure!
by Jupiter760 / July 19, 2010 3:36 AM PDT

Good!

Collapse -
invictus blu ray won't play
by blaq8901 / July 19, 2010 7:21 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem with the invictus blu ray from netflix. All the annoying previews play through,but when it gets to loading the actual movie, the little disc just freezes on my screen. I've already received two discs from netflix and neither will work. I am using a samsung bps-1600. This is the first time I'm having this problem, every other dvd or blu ray i've used has worked fine. I guess I won't be watching invictus on blu ray.

Collapse -
Almost all WB Discs.
by jameswlfk010 / July 21, 2010 12:48 AM PDT

It's not just Inviticus.. It's basically all of your Warner Bros discs that will have problems. My copy of "The Informant!" is the only one that will still play. Everything else crashes while trying to load the disc menu.

All of these discs play fine in other players. (Non-Samsung players that is)

Collapse -
Just this disc
by blaq8901 / July 21, 2010 3:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Almost all WB Discs.

This is the first time this has happened with any disc. I've watched a lot of Warner Bros. blu rays and I have never had a problem. Its just this disc will not work at all.

Collapse -
Not happy with Samsung Blu ray
by bacchus97 / August 14, 2010 11:48 PM PDT

I wished I had discovered this forum prior to my purchase. I firt purchased the Samsung BD-C6500. I purchased 3 movies for my kids, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Where the Wild Things Are and Earth. The Blu Ray player would not play Diary of A Wimpy Kid in blu ray nor would it play Earth. 2 out of 3 movies is horrible! I thought it was the Blu Ray player. I took it back to Best Buy and they thought I should upgrade to BD-C6900. I did the dumb thing by trusting that this would fix the problem. Came home set it up and discovered the same issues. I now have a $350 Blu Ray player that is useless! When I called Samsung the response is that the will have a fix for it in about 6 months to a year! I'm very upset and don't understand. I'm thinking about returning the player and just purchasing a $60 DVD player.

Collapse -
seriously?
by Wooden Brain / August 15, 2010 2:05 AM PDT

6 months to a year? lol....

I can confirm that downgrading to firmware 2.0.7 resolves playback problems (with warner bros films) introduced with 2.0.9.

Collapse -
BD-P3600 Problems
by marcarde / October 15, 2010 4:32 AM PDT

I've had problems playing a number of disks. "Frozen", "I Am Love." Can't access certain bonus features from "Snow White". I have another slightly more recent Samsung player at my other place which seems to work fine. But this player is a major disapointment.

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P3600 problems with Warner Bros Discs
by ohoopes / September 9, 2010 12:40 PM PDT

I completely agree. WB discs don't play on Samsung BD players. I have been trying to play a Netflix Rental of Clash of the Titans and it plays previews fine and then gets stuck.

Wonder if the non-Netflix WB discs also don't work?? The discs are different....

Collapse -
other too
by ffhyatt / July 24, 2010 8:01 PM PDT

doesn't look like you'll be watching terminator: salvation either.

Collapse -
Terminator Salvation
by blaq8901 / July 25, 2010 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: other too

Actually, Terminator Salvation played on my blu ray player. It froze up a few times while it was loading, but after I cleaned the disc it worked fine.

Collapse -
send me your copy!
by ffhyatt / July 25, 2010 7:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Terminator Salvation

mine played all the previews & warnings but when it went to load up, a disc icon just sat there spinning for a few minutes then froze. Only command that would execute was OPEN/CLOSE and those only worked via the machine. The remote would not engage.

Collapse -
send me your copy
by blaq8901 / July 26, 2010 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: send me your copy!

I wish I could, but it was a rental from netflix. Samsung really needs to get on the ball and release firmware that makes warner blu rays more compatible with their machines.

Collapse -
2nd no-go
by ffhyatt / July 27, 2010 7:28 PM PDT
In reply to: send me your copy

hear hear! i tried 2 copies of T/S from netflix just to be sure but got a no-go on the 2nd too

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P1600 Warner Home Video problems
by YNotMK / July 30, 2010 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: other too

Here's my experience with "The Book of Eli" & "Invictus". Got both DVDs from NEtflix and neither would play. I have the 2.09 firmware installed. I was told the player won't read the Codex header and so I bought a Sony BDP (BDP-BX37 from Costco) and it's true. The Sony player had no issues with these DVDs and the Samsung would not play either. Samsung really does have an issue with their firmware!

Collapse -
Invictus will not play!
by hey_ricky / July 24, 2010 11:26 AM PDT

I will jump on the bandwagon. Same problem: Netflix-Blu Ray-Invictus-Previews fine-No Movie! Tried 2, but will now give up since I see it is Samsung firmware problem, not Netflix Disk. Hope you get this resolved, big investment to have these kinds of problems...

Model BD-P3600. Did firmware check, up to date.

Collapse -
SamSung BLU Ray: Won't Play The Book of Eli ALSO!!!!
by Jupiter760 / July 26, 2010 9:27 AM PDT

Just got The Book of Eli from NetFlix. And it does the exact same thing as INVICTUS. Plays the commercials and freezes before the main attraction.

Getting concerened since have not seen any posts from the SAMSUNG TECH.

Would have been delighted if SamSung solved the problem already! But now, I wondering where the Samsung Tech is. Where is the status on the problem?

Collapse -
SamSung BLU Ray: Won't Play The Book of Eli ALSO!!!!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 26, 2010 2:51 PM PDT

Jupiter760,

I'm still monitoring these threads daily. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution yet.

One thing maybe worth trying. Try turning off the BD-Live feature and see if the movie plays. Someone else posted that doing so worked for Shutter Island...

--HDTech

Collapse -
BDP3600 Not Playing "Book of Eli" or "Invictus"
by joeeg28 / July 31, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

I turned off the BD live feature and the player still will not play either of the movies mentioned.

How long will it be before a firmware update is available?

Collapse -
BD Live off doesn't solve problem
by YNotMK / July 31, 2010 11:24 AM PDT

Turning off BD Live didn't work for me either. No issues with either BD disk on my new (and much cheaper) Sony.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.