TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Blown Fuse in Bose Companion 3 Multimedia Speaker System Aco

by foxman09 / August 27, 2012 9:44 PM PDT

I moved to the Philippines this year and my bose system (Companion 3 Multimedia Speaker System) was delivered this week. STUPID me I forgot to plug it into my transformer (220V standard outlet here) so it stopped working right away and I have NO ACCESS to a Bose repair center Sad . I would assume the main issue is a bad fuse in the Acoustimass module. On other forums I have seen people fix blown soldered fuses in different models of Acoustimass units so I assume I have the same type of fuse to deal with.

Anyway, I'm asking around to find out how to open this unit so I can replace the fuse myself. I heard in some units there is a hidden locking system that needs to be flipped and buttons need to be popped off. I have taken out the screws but it won't open up (due to some flip lock apparently). I don't know what the quartersized wood piece with two holes on the bottom is for but it doesn't move with slight pressure. I thought it was best to leave it alone until I got some directions. People say the lock switch is hidden in the seams (where there is wood and plastic meeting) but I don't see anything. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to pry a little bit before something POPS out or what. It's recommended to use a flat head screw driver to access it.

If anyone has a clue how to open this thing please let me know.

Here are photos of the module for reference.

*I don't know if image links are allowed on this forum so I'll upload the photos directly later if the link is deleted*

Thanks everyone

foxman09 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blown Fuse in Bose Companion 3 Multimedia Speaker System Aco
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blown Fuse in Bose Companion 3 Multimedia Speaker System Aco
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by foxman09

Collapse -
I found this, althought it's not detailed
by Pepe7 / August 28, 2012 12:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
SO close
by foxman09 / August 28, 2012 9:13 AM PDT

I didn't see this article in my searches. Unfortunately, SIGH, turns out I have the Companion 3 Series II . The eHow article explains that you have a few simple screws to remove under the sticker. Well Bose got smart and replaced it with a quarter sized metal plate with two holes (not wood like I said in the photo) in it for a specialized tool, most likely a custom drill bit. I tried taking 2 thin pieces of metal and inserting them and twisting both CCW and CW. Figured it wouldn't be below them to make the unscrewing motion CW to fool the DIY repair man as a last stand before entering the module. Thanks for the help though. I'll email that author of the article to see if he could help me out with this updated module.

Ya I posted at all three of those forums and waaaay more haha. My next idea was to contact a 3rd party Bose repair centers to see if any would throw me a bone.

Collapse -
by foxman09 / August 28, 2012 10:52 AM PDT

Turns out that article helped me. Realized there was another sticker and behind that there was a whole new set of philips head screws. Removed those, pried off the back and TADA a blown fuse as predicted. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Nicely done ;) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / August 29, 2012 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: FIXED

Collapse -
bose companion 3 Fuse
by Jack0502 / December 6, 2012 7:28 PM PST

Hi I am having the same issue. After unscrewing Back of subwoofer...I am having a hard time getting off the black panel...

Do I have to use force??
I Would very much appreciate if you take the time to put it more in detail.
Waiting for your advise....thanks!!!!

Collapse -
Bose Companion 3
by JAG139 / June 16, 2013 3:07 AM PDT

I have the same issue due to power surge. It fried the surge protector and blew the fuse inside the speaker. I was able to pull it apart but I need to know where you bought the fuse if you did. Been trying to find a place on the net to no avail. Will try Radio Shack next. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thx in advance.

Here are the specs.

Variant Fuse Rating

220-240 -> T1.60A L,250V
100/120V -> T3.15A L,258V

Collapse -
Ask a local electrician where he shops
by Pepe7 / June 16, 2013 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Bose Companion 3

That's how I located such a brick and mortar source in Chicago- for things i needed to grab in a hurry vs online.

Collapse -
Re:Bose Companion 3
by JAG139 / June 27, 2013 4:46 AM PDT

thx for reply, I did ask the local guy who referred me to Radio Shack. Laugh

Collapse -
Fuses are pretty much interchangeable and fungible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2013 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Bose Companion 3

I use Radio Shack, Amazon, Jameco, Digikey and other sources but the long and short story is when I can't find an exact same fit part I go for same or higher voltage rating and 20 some odd percent on the amperes.

Why so lax on amperes? I'm sure they covered that the exact point it blows depends on the current temperature the fuse is at.

Collapse -
Re:Bose Companion 3
by JAG139 / June 27, 2013 5:26 AM PDT

Thank you for reply. I checked with Radio Shack and Amazon they didn't have the same exact fuse. The one in Bose has a filament like in a light bulb. I am confused about the "variant fuse rating" with two different numbers. It has wires coming out of both ends that are soldered to the board.

1. 220-240 -> T1.60A L,250V
2. 100/120V -> T3.15A L,250V

Found both ratings but in 2 separate fuses at Radio Shack.

Should I go with the first rating or the second one?

Collapse -
Reading your last post
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Bose Companion 3

I can't tell what the original rating was.

I don't want to upset you but any 1st year electronics student should be able to get this done.

This thread is more than 303 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.