Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

General discussion

Bloomberg endorses Obama over climate change?

by Steven Haninger / November 2, 2012 / 1:10 PM UTC
Superstorm Sandy Drives Bloomberg to Endorse Obama

So the mayor thinks Obama can do something to prevent weather related disasters? He didn't stop Sandy. A Romney supporter could claim that Obama's carbon war caused the storm's left turn when it would have otherwise turned out to see. That statement would have been as looney as any claim that Obama could stop it from happening again. Where do these people come from? Happy
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bloomberg endorses Obama over climate change?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bloomberg endorses Obama over climate change?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where do these people come from?
by JP Bill / November 2, 2012 / 1:13 PM UTC

Adam and Eve?

Collapse -
I do not believe
by James Denison / November 2, 2012 / 3:48 PM UTC

they are still procreating.

Collapse -
(NT) bet you can find living adam and eve on the net.
by Roger NC / November 2, 2012 / 3:52 PM UTC
In reply to: I do not believe
Collapse -
Did I say they were?
by JP Bill / November 2, 2012 / 7:14 PM UTC
In reply to: I do not believe

You came from your parents (is that a safe assumption?)...are they still procreating?

Collapse -
do vs did
by James Denison / November 3, 2012 / 3:52 AM UTC
In reply to: Did I say they were?

Is English not your first language?

Collapse -
(NT) You can't make this stuff up! :)
by lylesg / November 2, 2012 / 5:11 PM UTC
Collapse -
"Where do these people come from?"
by James Denison / November 3, 2012 / 3:54 AM UTC
"Where do these people come from?"

Seemingly, they come from New York City. Wink
Collapse -
Obama supports efforts to stem global warming
by Josh K / November 3, 2012 / 6:11 AM UTC

Obama also accepts the science, as any reasonable person would. Would that have stopped Sandy? No. Will it stop the next one? No. Could it help people a generation or two away? Yes.

Collapse -
And could science also hurt the next generations?
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2012 / 6:21 AM UTC

Yes.

Collapse -
(NT) Ignoring or dismissing it certainly could
by Josh K / November 3, 2012 / 6:23 AM UTC
Collapse -
Good or bad science...there's a difference
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2012 / 6:55 AM UTC

and history tells us we don't often get it right on the first try.

Collapse -
IF you don't make the first try
by JP Bill / November 3, 2012 / 8:11 AM UTC

You certainly won't be successful on the second?

Collapse -
(NT) Could be true...if you even get a chance at a second try.
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2012 / 8:21 AM UTC
Collapse -
So I guess we just stay in bed and don't get up
by JP Bill / November 3, 2012 / 8:38 AM UTC

in case something MIGHT happen.

You have your computer in bed with you now?

Collapse -
when we get up from bed
by James Denison / November 3, 2012 / 10:19 AM UTC

there's plenty of other more important things in life to deal with on a daily basis than some "chicken little" sky gazing prognostications.

Matthew 6:34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Collapse -
I was thinking more of
by JP Bill / November 3, 2012 / 10:58 AM UTC

Steven 11:3 Could be true...if you even get a chance at a second try. (Chicken little.?)

Collapse -
(NT) Maybe the effort of trying to survive is what's killing us.
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2012 / 11:30 AM UTC
In reply to: I was thinking more of
Collapse -
(NT) 'Sup Debbie Downer?
by JP Bill / November 3, 2012 / 11:36 AM UTC
Collapse -
which is your way of saying
by James Denison / November 3, 2012 / 10:13 AM UTC

there's no way to convince you otherwise till you are long gone from this world.

Collapse -
(NT) He endoses Obama's reaction to the disaster.
by Diana Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 / 10:21 AM UTC
Collapse -
Ah...yes
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2012 / 10:35 AM UTC

Mandating higher fuel economy standards for automobiles is one step toward ending hurricanes. We need to support candidates who will keep bad weather under better control. Fear not. Obama will do that. Volcanoes and earthquakes will be tackled next. They, too, are caused by man. He'll spare no expense in eliminating their threat. There's no limit to his power over evil forces on the planet that want to kill us.

Sounds like a Hollywood script. Obama likes Hollywood. Happy

Collapse -
A couple of days ago...
by J. Vega / November 3, 2012 / 8:18 PM UTC
In reply to: Ah...yes
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / November 3, 2012 / 9:29 PM UTC
No, Global Warming Hasn't 'Stopped'

So what's the story? It should first of all be pointed out that, contrary to the headline's claims, the Met Office didn't "quietly release" any report - it simply updated its ongoing temperature data set. It should also be pointed out that a scientist whom Rose quoted as saying that the news showed climate models are 'deeply flawed' in fact insists she said no such thing.

The key point here is in the arbitrary starting point. Climate scientists note that while the underlying long-term trend is unmistakable, it can be masked by short-term natural variations. And 1998 was an exceptionally hot year as a result of a very strong El Nino that created a lot of atmospheric warming. (In fact, it currently occupies the bronze medal position, behind 2005 and the race-leading 2010.) Move the starting point to 1999, and the picture changes considerably.

'Pause' discussion thread

David Rose has published a provocative article in the Daily Mail entitled Global warming stopped 16 years ago, reveals Met Office report quietly released . . . and here is the chart to prove it. The two main people that were interviewed were myself and Phil Jones. Here is the meat of the article in terms of my and Phil Jones' statements:

Overall, I would say that this is a very good article; I think the exchange between me and Jones, mediated by Rose, is an important one. However, I am not happy with this statement in the early part of the article:

Some climate scientists, such as Professor Phil Jones, director of the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, last week dismissed the significance of the plateau, saying that 15 or 16 years is too short a period from which to draw conclusions.

Others disagreed. Professor Judith Curry, who is the head of the climate science department at America's prestigious Georgia Tech university, told The Mail on Sunday that it was clear that the computer models used to predict future warming were 'deeply flawed'.

I have no idea where the 'deeply flawed' came from, I did not use these words in any context that Rose should be quoted (perhaps I used them somewhere on my blog?) Also, I agree that 16 years is too short, given the timescales of the PDO and AMO, to separate out natural versus anthropogenic variability (but this cuts both ways: the warming period between 1980 and 1998 was arguably amped by the PDO and AMO).
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon