Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Blocking peer to peer over a Time Capsule WiFi router?

by beaugag2 / August 20, 2009 12:27 AM PDT

I'm sharing internet access but I don't want my guesses to practice p2p...
I can't find how to.

Time Capsule and Airport Utility 7.4.2

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blocking peer to peer over a Time Capsule WiFi router?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blocking peer to peer over a Time Capsule WiFi router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure you can be that specific
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 20, 2009 5:50 AM PDT

but you should be, probably are, using the Guest Network for your friends.
That way they do not have access to anywhere else on your network, just the internet.

Of course, the ultimate is to warn them and then shut them down if they ignore your warnings.

You do have your main wireless network protected with a password?

P

Collapse -
Guest but not friends!
by beaugag2 / August 20, 2009 10:06 AM PDT

Understanded but guests are not friends but tenants, and I provide them internet access over my account,so I receive a warning from my ISP to cease p2p cause of complaints.

I want to know if I can block the p2p protocol on the time capsule Wireless router because you know my guest are practicing these greyed activities...

Collapse -
router port blocking
by sturner--2008 / August 20, 2009 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Guest but not friends!

If you block the ports that the p2p software is using, you can effectivly shut down their activities. I'm not at all aware of the capabilities of the Time Capsule router, you really have me puzzled by that one.

Collapse -
I'm puzzled to!
by beaugag2 / August 21, 2009 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: router port blocking

I realy investigate this problem but no answer and It's frustating me ...
I think Apple never planned to permit users to configure this ,they don't regard the security aspect of this expensive (Wireless Router) equipment.

Thank for your attention.

Collapse -
Hope this helps
by CHauge / September 12, 2009 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm puzzled to!

On an Apple Airport you can setup Guest network access, first, are you using this because it is very, very important. If not, turn it on. However, if you have an old Airport, the Guest network account feature is not available. The Guest network is only available on Airport Extreme and TimeCapsule that was introduced earlier this year (2009) and newer. Your firmware version does not tell you if your Airport can use Guest networking, you have to know the version of your Airport or T.C.

I will assume that you have an Airport or T.C. that does have Guest networking.

If Guest networking is turned off, you need to enter the Airport Utility and go to the Airport -> Wireless tabs (unfortunately I don't have a Airport to do this, so as I recall, you will see a button, or field where you can go to enter the Guest network info). When you turn on Guest networking, and give it a name (other than your current SSID (this is the wireless network name, but SSID is shorter), or change you current SSID to something else, and give you Guest network the old SSID you were just using).

Now with a Guest network in the same window you can "turn off file sharing between guests". Now, if they are Windows PCs, I suspect this may not turn of P2P for them. This is a bit more tricky. I would also strongly urge you, regardless of this network now being isolated from your other personal network, you will want to put a password on it, and I'd suggest WPA2 Personal, or at least WPA Personal!

You need to find out the TCP/IP "ports" that are used. You will also need to setup DHCP with NAT or what Apple likes to call "Share a Public IP" under the Internet -> Internet Connection tabs. You'll need to setup DHCP and NAT as you like. Set it up so that you have some "unused" IPs in your DHCP subnet range (i.e. in your fourth octet use only 1-100, this means that 101-254 are not "unsed" by DHCP if you use a 255.255.255.0 subnet). At least one of these unused IPs will be used in the next step.

When done there, go to the Advanced -> Port Mapping tabs. This is where you'll set the P2P ports up to be forwarded to one or more of the "unused" IPs. The reason I suggest keeping it in the same subnet is so that your Airport (or T.C.) will never send this traffic outside itself. It thinks the IP is somewhere connected to it. And since it's not your other "guests" will never leave your Airport with their P2P traffic.

Man, this is more complex than I realized, but it will work. It may be easier to tell everyone to buy an Apple and simply use the, "turn off file sharing between guests," feature. Ok, ok, it's just a suggestion.

Good luck,

Chaz

Collapse -
website blocking
by Lucas_def / April 3, 2013 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Hope this helps

hi, i am using the time capsule as a way to make etehrnet wifi, is there anyway i can block specific sites or games from going online?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.