Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

BLOCKED SITES!

by happybubble123 / October 3, 2012 6:39 PM PDT

My dad blocked tumblr and many other sites and they seem to be sites with certain words in the url. For example, if i typed in, proxy.com/tumblr, it would block it and it comes up with a page that says: Warning !!

You have tried to access a site that has been blocked.

Please contact your System Administrator to have this site authorized.

I use a proxy BUT ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT PROGRAM OR SOFTWARE HE IS USING!!! Thanks<3
and also what he has access to! i use a blue internet cable which connects to the home computer!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BLOCKED SITES!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BLOCKED SITES!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
The key here is "My dad blocked"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2012 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: BLOCKED SITES!

Are you asking us to bypass your dad's choices? (Hint = we can't do that.)

Also, it's clear that your dad can answer this question. Ask him so you can do the same later to your room mates in college.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: message
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 3, 2012 6:43 PM PDT

Obviously the message is wrong. It should have been: "Please contact your father for further information".
And since the PC doesn't say it, I'm saying it.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
I hate censorship
by TiberiusCJ / January 7, 2013 10:30 AM PST

If you're old enough to know what Tumblr is, you're old enough to see what's online. A good way to find out what's running on your computer is to open the task manager with Control Alt Delete. Check off "Show processes from all users." You may not understand all the entries, but you can Google them, and you can find out what they do. You will certainly be able to locate which program is the site blocker. The next part is figuring out how to disable it. Email me if you need to.

Collapse -
Proxies can harm your PC for sure
by evabrian / January 7, 2013 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: I hate censorship

@happybubble123 as you know that proxies are a good way to bypass restrictions, are sadly there are many countries where government and authories dont let there people to access information, and feed them with where bogus ideologies, just like China Angry
well coming back to your concern proxy do harm your PCs because there are free virtual private networks
so be careful while using them specially don't make any credit card or other transactions through proxy, if you ask for the safe alternet of proxy go for virtual private networks

Collapse -
evabrian i dont understand clearly what you say
by Harisaltaf / January 7, 2013 9:59 PM PST

In start you say Free virtual private network is harmful and in last you say go for virtual private network so wht is the difference between both of them please give me detail explanation about the differences .

Collapse -
If you compare proxy vs vpn, vpn is far secure
by evabrian / January 7, 2013 10:14 PM PST

VPN apply strong encryption to your device data communication to the Internet
proxy is purely browser based and has less compatibility
with certain websites that use non-browser technology (i.e. Zattoo,
View TV, 4OD, Sky Player, FOX OD etc); whereas VPN will work with all Internet based services but offers less choice on which applications you
route through the external server; as with VPN everything is routed
whilst you are connected to it

Collapse -
evabrian (vpn is far secure)
by Harisaltaf / January 7, 2013 10:18 PM PST

Thanks for give me great explanation so i am using proxy but after see your reply proxy is harmful for pc or laptop or any device so i am in tension and i am thinking i go for a vpn and ignored free proxy service but i have no idea which vpn provider is best so if you have any idea give me the name and i try it

Collapse -
Do reseach befor you buy! dont believe on advertisements
by evabrian / January 7, 2013 10:31 PM PST

hey I am not here to market any vpn provider, though I have used a well know vpn services hideaways which was very good, but before you buy any vpn, do little research on Google, but yes there is a lot of marketing and forced advertisement on the Internet never believe on Google suggested results because they are forcefully push content,
batter option is to go for reviews, they got very detailed comparisons and other stuff which can help you understand the product, and help you find out the right provider

Collapse -
I have no time for research my friend
by Harisaltaf / January 7, 2013 10:36 PM PST

Please give me the review source for your recomended provider name i really thankful to you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.