Computer Help

General discussion

Block access to a website using router ?

by DADSGETNDOWN / November 15, 2010 10:40 AM PST

Hello, I have 2 PC's and my son uses a laptop he connects using a Ethernet Cable, even though he could wirelessly. I have them all go through a Linksys/ Cisco Wired and Wireless Router then into my cable modem, is there a way to block access to a website I don't want him to use ?...Without installing any software or at least on his laptop. I'm hoping to do it through the router or something.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Block access to a website using router ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Block access to a website using router ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe
by Jimmy Greystone / November 15, 2010 11:04 AM PST

Maybe, but there are plenty of easy ways around such filters. This is a war you will never win, and will constantly be fighting an uphill battle on.

So rather than fight it, you should consider embracing it so you can exert some influence. Think about it. When you were his age, if your father came in with a stack of Playboys and wanted to go through them with you, wouldn't you be a LITTLE creeped out?

Collapse -
Hrmm well
by DADSGETNDOWN / November 16, 2010 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe

I am a Father of 7 ranging from 12 to 28, I appreciate the reply, but the telling me how to be a Father is another story, I didn't ask how to be a Father. Lol. The analogy with the playboys didn't really make sense is trying to pertain to "consider embracing it so you can exert some influence".
Consider no matter what you do or say or teach, a decent, unfortunate amount are going to do things behind your back no matter what, so you nip it in the bud the best you can.
You know Fads and peers even having to fight teachers and law makers these days, are pretty hard to fight, no matter your teachings or relatioinship.

Collapse -
Father
by PKsteven / November 16, 2010 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: Hrmm well

Yep, father of 3 myself. All really great kids but still, I would never assume to trust any child completely. It's tough with the internet and being a parent, I KNOW. What you can try is this...

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Also, I included a strict internet policy, they are NOT to delete history, or anything else internet related, if they do, I take the pc away. If I have to dig to view it, which I have in the past lol, then they are already in trouble but I want to SEE what they are doing. "Just a suggestion of course, it's much easier to SAY than to keep up with, life is busy."

A more advanced option is by editing the host file but not sure you want to do that.

WOT < will also block some sites and is one I use when surfing.

http://www.mywot.com/fr/download

It's an addon for the browser but works very well. I don't know if you need to register\sign up to protect WOT settings or not, "never tried" else they could be changed in the WOT settings from blocking a site.

Collapse -
OOP
by PKsteven / November 16, 2010 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: Father

almost forgot to mention, you should have access restrictions on your router as do I but good luck getting them to work. I have tried everything under the sun and still no luck. You can try by typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, type admin and password, and it should be listed under a tab. Maybe you will have better luck than I did.

Collapse -
Go into the router configuration . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 16, 2010 12:16 PM PST

Depending on the model of the router you can restrict certain sites to specific PCs on your home network. Easy.

Not so easy.

Be sure to password protect the router access configuration so said children cannot change the settings. And be prepared when they find out that pressing the reset button on the router takes it all away.

If, after several attempts by you to curtail their surfing activities, you find out that all can be circumvented, you then take the PC away. Or whatever more severe actions you may take.

Really, anything you add or change to prevent surfing CAN be cracked by a zealous teenager.

Collapse -
Linksys Router
by mopscare42 / November 17, 2010 12:51 AM PST

I don't think the Linksys line of routers give you an option to restrict
certain websites. That was one of the reasons I switched to a Netgear router long ago.
That restricts everything and everybody going through the router.
Of course there is the reset the router routine unless you have the router under lock and key.
The kids now are very ingenious when it comes to getting around things like restrictions.

Collapse -
Wrong about Linksys
by PKsteven / November 17, 2010 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Linksys Router
Collapse -
Trial
by DADSGETNDOWN / July 17, 2012 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong about Linksys

Apparently on mine blocking is on a trial then subscription basis. It apparently disappears after the trial.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.