Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Download.com Site Feedback

Alert

Blekko and other fun things

by bemymonkey / March 29, 2012 1:44 AM PDT

Dear CNET team,

A few days ago, I downloaded an installer for a freeware application from your download site, and now I'm seeing that my default search engine in Chrome was changed to "Blekko | Spam Free Search". This is completely unacceptable.

Since you seem to be oblivious to the usual rules of conduct in offering installers for freeware, shareware and the like, I would like to offer some suggestions - you may, if you so prefer, pretend that they're worded as much more constructive criticism.

In the following text, I will refer to the end users of your executables as "me" or "I".

DO NOT:
-Install crap on my computer without my consent
-Change my browser homepage without my consent
-Change my search engines without my consent
-INSTALL ANYTHING AT ALL ON MY COMPUTER THAT I DIDN'T EXPLICITLY DOWNLOAD

I don't care what the fine print says, on your site, in the installer (where was the fine print in that, by the way? Aren't you required to have a very noticeable disclaimer in there? At least the other adware-laden installers out there give the user fair warning)... You don't install random programs and change settings without the user's consent.

There are so many better ways to monetize - ways that won't annoy your customers/users so much that they stop using your site (and anything affiliated with CNET) altogether. Hell, I'd rather be forced to watch a 30 second video-ad before installation or have the installer itself plastered in blinking animated banners... Even if the installer made me click through 50 full page ads before letting me continue to the actual installation, I'd find it more acceptable than what you're doing now.

Oh, and forcing someone to sign up for your newsletter in order to post on a forum? Guess where those e-mails are going to end up?

I think it's fairly obvious that I won't be using your site any more - or recommending it to anyone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blekko and other fun things
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blekko and other fun things
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
by laceeeeeeeeeeeeee / June 7, 2012 3:50 PM PDT

IM TRYING MY HARDEST TO GET RID OF BLEKKO..HOW FRUSTRATING!!! WHEN IW AS ASKED IF I WANTED "BLEKKO" I SPECIFICALLY SAID NO!! IM HIGHLY DISGUSTED WITH CNET!

Collapse -
Cnet is pathetic
by cnetdownloaderhate / June 8, 2012 11:04 AM PDT

You are both so correct in assuming that cnet is the criminal in this situation. It's vile to think that a once trusted site like cnet and download.com can be so blatantly taken over by malicious people and used to spread spyware and adware.

Collapse -
Just a note.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 9, 2012 5:41 AM PDT

Post deleted for offensive content. Forum Policy applies and all future offensive posts will be deleted.

This discussion is now locked.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,743 discussions
icon
Cell Phones 11,258 discussions
icon
Windows 8 1,311 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 10,496 discussions

TV buying guide

Do you know what to look for when shopping for a TV?

We put together a handy guide that explains the most important things to know when walking through aisles and aisles of big screens.