Computer Help

Resolved Question

Blank screen unless I remove battery

by SheehyBoi / December 14, 2012 5:13 AM PST

I have an Acer 6935g laptop with windows 7. When I go to boot my laptop, it powers on but nothing shows up on the screen, unless I take out the battery and put it back in few seconds later and then power up. I have to do this every time and it usually works but not always . I have tried a clean reinstall of windows 7 and have flashed an updated version of my bios but still the problem persists. I would appreciate if anyone had any help or advice that might solve this problem. Thanks Conor

SheehyBoi has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blank screen unless I remove battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blank screen unless I remove battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by SheehyBoi

Collapse -
How old? How much do you run on battery power?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 5:21 AM PST

The removal and popping the battery back in with AC applied is dangerous and could fry something.

The stock battery is some 300 Cycle unit that at about a year of daily use would need replacing. But since Windows is not running any clean install should (and did) result in no change.

Try the usual simple reset. There's a longer version at the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum.

Remove AC, then the battery, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. Release, slip the battery, apply AC and then try again. Repeat the power down and up in your case.

I'd like to hear about age, use and of course WARRANTY since the failure is usually the battery and/or the mainboard.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried that
by SheehyBoi / December 14, 2012 5:38 PM PST

Thanks but I tried removing the battery and the ac cable and holding down the power button for 60 but it did not solve the problem. The laptop is 3.5 years old and I usually used it while pluged in with the battery in it, I usually I calibrated it one a month iswell. I use the laptops mainly for web browsing, downloading, multitasking and never played much heavy games on it. Thanks

Collapse -
If the battery is 3.5 years old, well past it's use by date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Tried that

The thing about old batteries is they can fry the mainboard. Your average consumer is loathe to replace it so this means nothing but good news for laptop sales.

Hope you read between the lines in my reply.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Battery maybe
by zmilam / December 14, 2012 6:57 PM PST

It sounds like the battery is faulty. This happens with Lithium-Ion batteries over time. You could go to a computer shop and see if replacing the battery will stop the problem.
Also the next time the battery is out check to see if any of the pins/and or connectors have been bent or misshapen.

Collapse -
Thanks
by SheehyBoi / December 14, 2012 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Battery maybe

I was always able to use the laptop plugged in with the battery compleatly out, so even if the battery was totally gone it should still work but I will try that if I can. There seems to be no physical damage done to the battery also. Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.