Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Blank screen on windows startup, sptd error

by crazedsadist / October 24, 2010 2:08 PM PDT

Hi,

When I try booting Windows XP, the Windows logo and 'Windows is now starting' screen loads normally, but then immediately afterwards the screen goes blank. There is no blue screen of death, no automatic restart, and in fact the hard drive is blinking. I tried booting up Windows in Safe Mode with Networking and no screen problems occur. I can't run Norton Antivirus while in Safe Mode.

Checking the events log, I found the same error for the several instances I tried booting up (source: sptd; event ID: 4):

'Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0000: 00000000 00520001 00000000 c0040004
0010: 000000ef 00000000 00000000 00000000
0020: 00000000 00000000'

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blank screen on windows startup, sptd error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blank screen on windows startup, sptd error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any image mounting software?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2010 2:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
Daemon Tools
by crazedsadist / October 25, 2010 2:44 AM PDT

Yep, I do have Daemon Tools. I've been browsing various forum threads and tried following the methods but I still have the same problem. I tried deleting Daemon Tools within Safe Mode (couldn't properly uninstall it nor can I find it in Add/Remove Programs so I had to delete the folder and registry keys), disabling Daemon Tools in msconfig, disabling sptd.sys through editing the registry key(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd), tried System Restore, but none of these solutions work. Any ideas please?

Collapse -
Find the daemon tools support site.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2010 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Daemon Tools

Sorry I don't have a procedure to remove that but I bet it's author or support site might. It appears to create problems and why we don't use it at the office.
Bob

Collapse -
Other event viewer errors
by crazedsadist / October 25, 2010 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Daemon Tools

I also noticed these three errors popping out, not sure if they're relevant:

(source: DCOM; event id: 10005)- 'DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}'

(source: DCOM; event id: 10005)- 'DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to run the server: {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811}'

(source: Service Control Manager; event id: 7026)- 'The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
eeCtrl
Fips
intelppm
SPBBCDrv
SRTSPX
SYMTDI'

Collapse -
The intelppm is mildly interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2010 3:05 AM PDT

But only was an issue for HP AMD based machines. HP and others wrote what to do next.

Collapse -
Repair install, new BSOD error
by crazedsadist / October 26, 2010 2:56 AM PDT

I decided to do a repair install for Windows XP. Not having the original Windows XP disc with me, I used an OEM disc for my separate HP laptop.

After the repair install finished (the one with the DOS like screen and the progress bar), it automatically rebooted, and then I came across this error:

'IO System Verification Error in HIDClass.sys (WDM Driver Error 22e) [HIDCLASS.SYS + 18b2 at BA4328B2]'

I can't boot into safe mode as the setup process hasn't finished. This error didn't appear originally- is this the real source of my problem?

Collapse -
Sorry but using the wrong CDs was a mistake.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2010 3:57 AM PDT

I've found that to be a fatal one as the OS is now more corrupt than before.

I suggest you save what files you need to save then start over.

I also suggest you heed the words in red when posting. For example there are issues with some HP AMD based units and that IntelPPM but you didn't address that or supply (if you did, I missed it) the make and model number.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.