Cameras forum

General discussion

Blank Screen on a Canon Powershot A610. HELP PLEASE!

by cew123 / April 13, 2007 11:52 PM PDT

I've had my Powershot A610 (swivel LCD) for a little less than a year and half. It hasn't had any major problems, except for an E18 error last August from a lens that wouldn't retract, which was fixed by Canon and covered by my warranty.

Starting a little while ago, I would power up my camera and the screen would be black. All the icons were still visible, and I was able to take a picture, but when I switched over the mode to view the picture, it too was all black. However, after taking one or two of these "black" pictures, the camera would return to normal and function as it always had.

Today, I turned on my camera and the screen was black. However, even after taking HUNDREDS of blank photos, the LCD is still black (still, icons and the blue "Canon" logo appear at startup). I went onto the Canon website and typed in my serial number, etc. and was informed that the repair would be at least $107 plus applicable taxes and shipping (I'm not under warranty anymore), but of course that quote might go up once they receive the camera. I've read online that dead CCD repairs can be quite costly, but I don't really know.

What I'm really wondering is the rough estimate for the repair of my camera. I would send it to Canon and wait to receive the final quote, but I do need a camera in about 3 weeks. I was kind of hoping to purchase a smaller model, like an SD600 or SD1000 anyway, and if the repair is going to be substantially more than the original Canon quote, I'd prefer to just purchase a new camera now. I found an SD1000 for only $260 at Circuit City, so any repair costing more than $150 doesn't seem too worthwile to me at this point.

Also, by no means am I a camera expert. Based on my research I think the problem could be a dead LCD or CCD, but I really have no idea. I'm pretty sure that I've covered all the possible troubleshooting options (new batteries, switching shooting modes, pressing the display button), but any suggestions would be welcome.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blank Screen on a Canon Powershot A610. HELP PLEASE!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blank Screen on a Canon Powershot A610. HELP PLEASE!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon A610
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 14, 2007 1:25 AM PDT

It certainly sounds like a CCD sensor problem.

I suggest you phone Canon support and tell them the problem and that you suspect the CCD.
Ask for a repair quote for a CCD replacement.

After you get a quote, you will have a better idea about repair or buying a new camera.

Collapse -
Canon A610
by benjurbutt / April 18, 2007 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon A610

My A610 just experienced the same problem (blank screen). The display window shows all pictures from the memory card with no problem, and I can see icons in the window. But when I go to shooting mode, the window is black. I'm thinking that maybe the lens is not opening. Don't know anything about the CCD. Canon told me to ship the camera to factory service. I'm wondering how prervalent this problem is on the A610 (have the camera about 1 1/2 yrs.)

Collapse -
My A-70 went dead yesterday.
by grimgraphix / April 18, 2007 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon A610

The LCD on my camera displays the menu functions sharp and clear... the movie mode records sound but no picture... just black screen. It will not take a picture at all. I tried taking some shots and removing the CF card to a card reader with no results.

I went digging around yesterday and came up with a this SERVICE NOTICE from Canon re: a bad batch of CCD's

Service Notice: CCD Image Sensor Advisory (Updated 10/31/2006)

The buzz has been that Sony supplied batches of CCD's to Canon which were inclined to have their connections break apart under certain conditions. My A-70 is listed as one of the affected models.

Here is a list of the other models... Affected products:

- Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
- Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)

*Models added as of Oct.31, 2006

The 610 is not listed here but the symptoms all of you are reporting seem to be identical to my problem. I would check with Canon and mention this problem. I am currently waiting for a response to my email to Canon so this is all I can report.

Anyone have any other news or experiences to report?

Thanks all

grim Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the info. I called and they will take care of it
by caryophyllene / April 25, 2007 11:01 AM PDT

Canon severice knows it.

Collapse -
Canon A610 was not on the list
by sandert29201 / June 30, 2010 11:38 AM PDT

I have the same issues with my A610. The display is blank but the images of the camera icons are clear. As per one of the post I first opened the Canon site and called the number. The Tech was very kind and apologized for not being able to make a free repair. The A610 is not included on the list of cameras. He did offer to sell me a referb upgrade which carry a 90 day warranty.

Collapse -
Another blank screen
by lindalenhoff / April 22, 2007 12:30 PM PDT

Hi, my screen has just gone black today as well. Same problems: I can see the controls and even see the photos on my disk, but I cannot take pictures (they are black). I also have been in touch with Canon even though it's Sunday, and they say to send in the camera and it will cost a minimum of $99. Or, I can join something Canon-y and for $125 buy a refurbished camera (maybe yours,or anyone else's who has had this problem). I've had the camera 16 months (so the warranty expired 4 months back), which I feel is an unreasonably short time for a mid-priced camera (I think it was $300). I'd like to hear from others who've had this experience. And Canon tells me no one will fix it locally anymore, which I feel is unreasonable. Does anyone fix these, or is it just completely dead? Has anyone had this problem "fixed"? Or did they send you a new camera (for a price)? Thanks, Linda

Collapse -
mine has the same problem
by trebormesos / April 23, 2007 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Another blank screen

Black LCD (start up logo shows fine and all info shows fine but no Pict lens info)

All pictures are black. Everything else seems to working fine. on/off, zoom, flash all ok

Collapse -
My A610 died too
by janone66 / April 25, 2007 9:09 AM PDT

Since my camera was purchased using an American Express card, which has a Buyer Protection Plan that extends warranty an additional year, I was able to turn in a claim to American Express and have the total purchase price refunded. It was pretty quick and painless. I had all receipts, etc, and I did not have to return the camera, which led me to believe that Canon knew they had a problem with this camera. I purchased my camera Dec 2005, and it died Jan 2007 - one month after the Canon Warantee was over. If you purchased your camera by credit card, you may have some sort of buyer protection plan also.

Collapse -
Please read the service notice posted in one of the replys
by janone66 / April 25, 2007 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: My A610 died too

I just clicked on the link to a service notice posted in one of the replys above, and found that it has been updated several times, including the following:

"Canon's Response:
Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of shipping and handling in connection with this repair."

Take a look for yourself - you may find relief.

Collapse -
by trebormesos / April 26, 2007 12:21 AM PDT

I also purchased mine in Dec 2005, I wounder if we all purchased the same batch of cameras? I looked at the link but it does not list the A610 was listed. I think I'm going to give them a call anyways.

Collapse -
by benjurbutt / April 26, 2007 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: A610

I just spoke to customer service. The A610 is not on the list for the latest service notice. I told them about all the postings of failure for the A610. I believe the CCD image sensor on these A610s has the same problem as all the other affected models. I think everyone with this problem should contact service to make them aware. Maybe we can get the A610 on the list to repair without any cost to us.

Collapse -
A610 more
by lindalenhoff / April 26, 2007 1:27 AM PDT

Yes, I just sent my A610 in yesterday. I had contacted Customer Service and told them I (we) thought this was part of the CCD problem the other models are facing. The representative said that Customer Service isn't allowed to make that decision, that only the factory can, which seems reasonable to me, and he sent me a prepaid mailing label so I won't have to pay for shipping. Now it will be up to the factory. I wrote a long letter detailing all of this and asking that they repair my camera under warranty (it's now 16 months old) as I believe it's a faulty CCD. We'll see what they do. Keep contacting them and letting them know of these problems!

Collapse -
The return of the camera
by lindalenhoff / May 10, 2007 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: A610 more

I wanted to report that Canon fixed my black-screen (for now at least). After sending in the camera, they e-mailed that it would cost $107 to begin repairs, and might cost more once they got going, or that they could send a refurbished camera (someone else's). I called and got angry enough that a rep transfered me to a supervisor. I told him the camera was only 16 months old and well cared for (he called this "way out of warranty"), and I mentioned this forum and the one on Digital Advisor. After much talk, he agreed to a one-time free repair (if the camera could be repaired, which he didn't know). Two days later, I got word that the camera was fixed, and a couple days later it arrived. It is working at this time (a little differently, too). There is also paperwork indicating that they will not guarantee the repair since it was free, which is strange. So it didn't cost me anything, in the end, except time and irritation, and of course it may break tomorrow.

Keep fighting! There's clearly something wrong with this model. I purchased mine 12/05. Part of my argument was that this shouldn't be a disposable camera and should last longer than 16 months, which I think he agreed with. The supervisor was actually very nice, and in the end he did do just as I hoped. I still don't know what to make of this whole problem though, or whether I'd buy another Canon. People on Digital Advisor are having this problem with the S2IS, which is more expensive, and which I almost bought.

The supervisor mentioned that he would make a note asking that they (whoever they are) look into whether the A610 should be added to the CCD problem list.

Collapse -
by benjurbutt / May 10, 2007 6:01 AM PDT

Thanks for the info. I'm going to send my A610 back tomorrow and hopefully I will get the same result.

Collapse -
my a60 is fixed for free.
by caryophyllene / May 10, 2007 11:36 PM PDT

It works now.

Collapse -
by tbonecutter / July 27, 2008 1:13 AM PDT

is there any new information i should know about the black screens my camera just went out of warrenty in feb. so of course they cant help me and paying 107 is almost as much as the camera cost in the first place. please let me know if i have any othe options.

Collapse -
A610 Fraud continues
by FreeLA / August 10, 2008 11:25 AM PDT

Her is the response from Canon I got, I will never buy a product from them ever.

Thank you for your reply. As noted previously, we are not able to
comment on posts made to internet forums since we have no way to verify
the information or the motives behind the posts. However, as of this
time there has been no service advisory or any known issue connected to
the image sensor of the PowerShot A610. Cameras included in our current
CCD service advisory all were produced with a particular type of image
sensor. The PowerShot A610 was not made with this sensor and so does
not fall under it.

I also noted that you called on 8/8/2008 and spoke with a factory
service center representative. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide
any further insight beyond that which has already been stated when you

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your

Contact Center Supervisor

If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this
message and we will respond as quickly as possible.

Original Message Follows:

Email Support Form Message
Product Type: PowerShot A610

Date of Purchase: 11/05/2005

Black LCD/ccd sensor failure
You declined to fix my Canon A610 Camera for free.
You want to charge me $87. When will you recall this
defective camera, thousands of people are complaining
and a class action suit is inevitable. Your customer
service called me a liar when I questioned why Canon
said I had a impact dent/lcd cover that is not there.
Reports of this tactic are widespread. Why have you
given some free A610 free repairs and others have to
pay? I was told by Consumer Affairs that their lawyers
are looking into the thousands of reports of Canon bad
sensors that fail due to heat. Because on Canons Asian
website they are aware of the problem and are fixing
this issue but not in the USA. I beg you to reconsider
and fix my Camera for free.

Collapse -
Black screens on A610 when in shoot mode.
by 2cool_cat / August 10, 2008 11:37 PM PDT

You can get results but you have to take this matter to a higher level,send out an e-mail to the BBB,informing them of how many customers have the same issue and this was not due to any physical damage to the camera but a failure in the internal electronics.

Collapse -
CCd problem
by 96arboc / May 13, 2007 2:24 PM PDT

Bought my camera in 12/05 and it appears I have the same problem.

Collapse -
same here
by rdkeith / December 23, 2010 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: CCd problem

So it appears that canon sells you a camera that works great for a few years then starts to fail,and they tell ya they can fix it but you can buy a new camera cheaper them their repair .... I thought canon was better then that . So I will just keep using mine until it stops working all together then buy a new one but I will not buy another canon again.

Collapse -
The return of my camera
by roe50 / November 7, 2007 9:01 PM PST

I also wanted to report that Canon fixed my camera (or should I say replaced it). Due to this forum I knew who to talk to (Supervisors, either Nate or Troy). Told them the problem (blank screen) and that the CCD was mentioned this forum. Told them I knew that they were fixing these cameras for free and they sent me a shipping label. I sent it on Oct 31 and I got it back on the Nov 5th. Problem????? It's not the same camera I sent. It's a powershot 610 but I'm not sure if its new or a refurb. I can tell that the serial no. on the bottom has been peeled off my camera and put on this one. That's probably why the turn around time is so short, they have other cameras ready to go. The digital terminal door on mine was loose and this one is tight. Either way I now have a camera that works. I also mentioned that this model should have also been one to be recalled. DON'T LET THEM CHARGE YOU!!!!

Collapse -
by coolwalker1 / March 28, 2011 5:57 AM PDT

If it's not on a Service Notice List, it isn't a part of the program and no matter how many times you call the answer will be the same because that unit did not have a sensor from the "bad batch", therefore is not on the list.

Collapse -
Canon A610 blank screen
by Craig384 / June 1, 2007 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Another blank screen

Hi, my A610 is also about 16 months old. I have the exact same problem as you.I spoke to Canon's technical support staff today. The gentleman knew what the problem was right away. I told him I had read where other owners of the A610 were having the same problem. He told me those were 3 and 4 year old models. He also told me I would have to pay to have the camera shipped for repairs and if the CCD sensor is bad it would cost about $100. We all need to email Canon and tell them of our problem so we cane get on the FREE repair list. In form everyone you know with this problem and tell them to email Canon.
They should take care of this problem especially because they are aware of how wide spread it has been. Canon sold faulty cameras!!

Collapse -
A610 try again
by lindalenhoff / June 1, 2007 3:26 PM PDT

Hi Craig,
Call them back and make sure you get transfered to a supervisor, even if you have to insist. I got to a supervisor because I upset the rep by saying that Canon didn't care about this problem--she got so upset she sent me straight to a supervisor! I didn't mean to offend her, but after reading all these posts plus more on another site, it felt right to say at the time.

My supervisor was Troy. Once I reached him, he was very reasonable and nice. I had already shipped my camera on their expense (my first call to customer service resulted in this). I spoke with Troy after getting the e-mail that it would cost $107 or whatever it was. I told him I felt the camera should last more than 16 months. In the end, he waived the fee.

So call back and get someone else. The cameras people are having trouble with are not that old--this site verifies that.

In all, it was worth my trouble, and really only took a couple of calls. They've fixed the camera, although they offer no warranty on the repair. Actually, the camera isn't working quite the same, it feels like, but it is working.

Good luck--and try again! By the way, I mentioned the black screen problem to a friend who bought the model below ours, and she said hers is fine, then called back a week later to tell me her camera stopped working, too. She bought hers 2 months before I bought mine. I think there's a bad batch of some connection.

Collapse -
by benjurbutt / June 1, 2007 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: A610 try again

I also had the same problem. I sent my camera in for repair and received an estimate for $114.49. I then spoke to a rep who said the camera was not on the existing service notice for free repair. She said I could gt a 10% courtesy discount off the repair price. I then spoke to a supervisor (Waynon Scott). He said he would check into it and call me back. He did call me back and said all he could do is offer a 50% discount to repair the camera (cost to me came to $53.24). Having no other option, I said fix the camera. I just received an email that the camera is repaired and being shipped back to me. Don't think I'm buying another Canon camera any time soon.

Collapse -
A10 fixed FREE
by trebormesos / July 2, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

They tried the 10% 50% thing. I pointed them to all the forums. and finally got the to fix it for free. Hope everyone else has the same luck.

Collapse -
canon 610
by drewceppi / July 3, 2007 10:00 AM PDT

ok folks I have the same problem...I bought it back on 12/05 but rarely used it..I got the blank screen a week ago...I originally sent in a email on this and got the generic "its not covered please pay 114 buck and do not pass go"..I just called and stated my case....I didnt pay 300 bucks for a camera to break after 2 years on a KNOWN issue and no get it fixed for free..the rep was pleasant...he suggested I send it in and comment on the form that this appears to be the same issue as others have had..I let him know that he needs to place on this call ticket that I will NOT pay anything to get this fixed...its a known issue...Ill let you know how is comes guess is either they will say its a different issue (NOT) or an issue they can fix for 50% discount (double not)

Collapse -
Cannon Power Shot A610 Blank Screen
by blynchpeter / July 23, 2007 2:04 PM PDT

Same problem - Blank screen - A faulty batch of CCD's is highly suspected. I will persue this with Cannon - a no expense repair should be offered by Cannon

Collapse -
Canon A610 CCD black screen issue
by jiasimon / July 2, 2007 4:22 PM PDT

I also have the same issue.

And it is better to let others be aware of this issue.

Collapse -
PowerShot A610 with a blank screen.
by bmgage / July 7, 2007 7:59 AM PDT

Hello all,

I have the same issue with my A610. I purchased it in December of 2005 and in no less than 1 month after the warranty expired the screen was black. I looked into getting it repaired but when I saw the minimum cost I decided to wait and purchase a newer model. However, having stumbled upon this thread, I believe I will look into getting it fixed. I just spoke with a rep and he said I would have to send it in to the repair center at my own expense before anything could be decided.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.