Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Blank Picture 2

by superman41 / April 2, 2012 5:30 AM PDT

My picture just goes blank, all I get is a black picture and to get it back, I have to turn off the processor then switch on again. My PC is three years old and Insured with Comet, recently I had the graphics updated and the PC cleaned by Comet, when I got it back, the problem started. Comet say that they can't find anything wrong with it and they only have my word that there is a problem, It is Insured for five years with two to go.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.111025-0338)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: FZ122AA-ABU a6635uk
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/23/08 16:36:25 Ver: 5.24
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 8550 Triple-Core Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3582MB RAM
Page File: 1143MB used, 6239MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Comet wants £30 pounds to look at it againg because the picture never blacks out when they have it?

Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blank Picture 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blank Picture 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This machine appeared in 2007.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Blank Picture 2

It may be much older. But in short the first thing I'd do is this (read link, follow directions)
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html

It's possible they (and us) need to know what you are doing when you see this happen. We know about the FLASH issue and advise to turn off FLASH HARDWARE ACCELERATION to avoid that common issue but now you have to tell more story. What are you doing when it blacks out?
Bob

Collapse -
Blank Picture 2
by superman41 / April 3, 2012 6:44 AM PDT

This monitor and the processor worked together for three years up to me asking the Insurance to upgrade the gaphics, since they sent it back to me i now have this problem, it has also been cleaned and serviced and it does not matter what i am doing it goes blank any time, writing on a word doc, using my email, playing online games ect.

Collapse -
Three years doesn't mean that folk change things. (Sorry)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Blank Picture 2

Sorry for the incomplete title. I hear you but consider this. Adobe rolled out the change in Flash recently so machines that worked fine for years suddenly had issues like yours.

TWO out of THREE items could be that new FLASH ISSUE. "writing on a word doc, using my email, playing online games" has us looking at turning off the FLASH HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

Please try that since no maker is going to fix this one.

The one that gets me is the writing on a word doc. That one would have me popping to cover to do my 6 month canned air maintenance. You are doing your own maintenance? I can't tell. I also know to replace heat sink compound after a few years. Do you do that work?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.