Windows 8 forum

General discussion

Blank dialog boxes

by wetibbe / February 4, 2013 2:34 AM PST

In Win 8, Dcomcnfg there is an avenue to Microsoft Windows Remote Shell Host Properties. Typing Decomcnfg in Win 8 start opens a clickable box that opens a window. Double click the "Component Services" in the left side of the MMC window> Double click the links underneath to navigate to computers. DCOM confg.

Scroll to Microsoft Host icon. Then right click properties. This opens a box of selections, dialog, buttons, tabs. However, the selections are blank.

This is a very old and well known problem that is fixed in previous versions by reregistering Jscript.ddl.

So far as I can ascertain there isn't any way in Windows 8 to do it. But there are lots of instructions in older versions to this prevalent problem.

The question is:

How can the blanks be activated to be useful ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blank dialog boxes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blank dialog boxes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My first guess is permissions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Blank dialog boxes
Collapse -
by wetibbe / February 4, 2013 8:55 PM PST

Seems to be some problem in Win 8.

Now we have progressed to Event ID 10016-DCOM Error-Source-Microsoft-Windows-Distributed COM....

Typing dcomcnfg, click OK
Expand computer services, and then expand Computers.
Right click My Computer, then click properties.
On the COM security tab, clck edit default in the Launch and Activate Permission Area.
etc, etc.

So far so good---------

In addition, in the secure policy the "Local Services" need to be configured for the following policies:

General Security Audit
Create global objects
Replace a process token level
Adjust memory quotas for a process
Impersonate a client after authentication
Log n as service
Bypass traverse checking

Now he problem-------------

Can't find a way to complete this process ????????

In the "Local Service" it's sort of a blind alley, no apparent path to follow.

Any suggestions ?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: More

But stock, out of the box install I've never seen this happen. Repair is usually beyond what I can offer here as I have to dive in and check all permissions and that all services are set to stock.

Just like prior Windows, not all things can be fixed without a guru getting on the machine.

Try this. Run the app as administrator. Sometimes helps.

Collapse -
Thank you for the response.
by wetibbe / February 5, 2013 8:32 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Thank you.
I got partial progress but not a final solution.

Collapse -
What causes this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 11:59 PM PST

I'm working without knowledge of what caused it. I alluded to some of the causes such as infections but the one I find NOT FUNNY ANYMORE are registry cleaners and speed up apps. Those cause a lot of damage and if Gary's Optimizer breaks it, we know that Gary needs to be asked how to fix it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.