Phones forum

Blackberry Torch Problems

by bearycreative / June 3, 2011 7:22 AM PDT

My 2 year contract was up in April with Att, so I decided to upgrade. I bought the black berry torch expecting to be getting a great new phone and it's been horrible! I have only had it for a little over a month and within the 1st 3 weeks, I had to take it in cause my camera wouldn't take pictures and would freeze up. Then within the last week, when I try to click on the browse button it wont open, so I'm paying the $15 extra for internet that you have to get with this phone and it doesn't even work. Also, the biggest issue is now my phone wont charge at all. So it's dead as a doornail and is worthless. I took it up to the att store today and the guy is trying to get it to work, but it wont even pull up the pin on my phone and isn't doing anything. He also told me that he tells ppl not to get the blackberry torch bc it has had so many defaults it's not worth it. Hope this helps anyone who wants one. It's a great lookin phone (I have the white) but NOT worth the trouble!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blackberry Torch Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blackberry Torch Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by talon38 / June 26, 2011 4:22 PM PDT

I've had mine for six months and have not experianced the problems you have. You should take it back to your carrier and ask for a replacement. I had a BB Curve for two years before the Torch.
I really like the Torch. The buttons are a bit small for my big thumbs but I like its size (the trade-off), its elegance, display quality, solid feel, wi-fi, battery life and messenging. I don't talk on it too much on it but I use the email, messenging and browser features quite a bit. I think the GPS features if left on will shorten the time between charges.
One thing I miss is the Curve's quick keyboard buttons to navigate on a web page. Missing is the (T) shortcut scroll to the top or the (B) to quicky scroll to the bottom of a web page. Also missing is the page-up/page-down quick keys.

Collapse -
BB Torch 9800 Tips for finding things saved in MemoPad app??
by hpminimom2009 / August 14, 2011 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Torch
BB site is off no help with this issue of not being able to find files that have been saved in MemoPad!!!

I have a 9800 BB Torch 1 month upgraded to OS 6 2647. What is the best way to find your MemoPad app?. I have files in it I need to have quick access on Home screen. Already tried several different search methods and noticed I can't get back into explore option. I'm not sure I even want to load the desktop backup on my laptop bc of all the issues I'm hearing from other users of BB 9800 Torch.
Collapse -
Blackberry Torch Problems
by CHIS1976 / August 13, 2011 4:34 PM PDT

I agree with talon38 you should take the Torch back and have the replace the hand set.

Good Luck

Collapse -
BB Torch 9800 Tips for finding things saved in MemoPad app??
by hpminimom2009 / August 14, 2011 6:40 AM PDT

Not an option. I have already taken back 1st one. I would like someone that can give me some suggestions on how to find my files I have saved. This is the first time I have used a smartphone. Already went in and changed search options and noticed it always defaults to Google??? Using OS 6 2647 update

Collapse -
How to find files on your BlackBerry
by CHIS1976 / August 19, 2011 2:22 AM PDT

- On your BlackBerry navigate to the Media Manager and press the trackball or touchscreen.

- In Media Manager press the BlackBerry Menu button and select Explore.

- You'll see the folders for your BlackBerry.

- If you're connected to your PC you will not be able to access files on
your memory card.

- You can move through the folders using the trackball or touchscreen.

- Press the BlackBerry menu key to see the options you have for each file.

- You can play media files, delete files, and much more.

- With graphics files you can even set them as the Home screen background.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
MemoPad quick access
by hpminimom2009 / August 19, 2011 6:46 AM PDT

Would this be an app in the BB Messenger group bc I'm not seeing any Explore(when picked it goes out to Icons blackscreen background w/recent opened apps) or Media Mgr.? I haven't loaded all BB apps bc I wasn't going to use BB Messenger. Please advise where Media Mgr. is located. I've checked to make sure I have the latest updates for BB World apps and running OS 6 Vers. 2647. I also followed the Help Tips on Torch and same problem when picking a menu it defaults to Icons blackscreen background.

I also noticed when doing a search it automatically picks Google this might be why I can't find my saved Memo Pad files. I'm I missing a setting in profile, setup or Universal setting isn't the setting I should use?

Collapse -
MemoPad quick access
by talon38 / August 28, 2011 4:11 PM PDT
In reply to: MemoPad quick access

Go into your Media folder and select anyone of the icons. Press the BB menu button and you should see Explore as one of the choices.

Collapse -
by J1948M / August 28, 2011 7:11 AM PDT

You got a dud. Best thing to do is take it back and get a replacement. Like a new car you can get a lemon. My Torch has worked perfectly and the battery is the best I've ever had in a cell phone. Charges quickly and lasts for days. My phone is always on and I depend on it in my business. The camera takes very good photos too.

Collapse -
BB Torch 9800 Tips for finding things saved in MemoPad app?
by hpminimom2009 / September 1, 2011 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Torch

It was an easy fix to find MemoPad and get it to work the way Torch should work when cookies are enabled the correct way. Open your browser on device, click your BB icon (For BB newbies: looks like berries on device down by trackball key) go to options this should pull up menu with all those cookie enabling/java options for most websites this was discussed in person with techs at Fort Worth Warranty Services for AT&T customers having issues with BB that are under warranty. Your warranty runs out on first device you buy in 30 days. In my case, this was my 3rd device that has been replaced, but AT&T goes by 1st original device you buy to determine date of warranty. So make sure, you use every app in BB that you need to make your device work. Also, if your company gave you the device they may have disabled the enabling of cookies for websites. If you have issues with BB's functionality call AT&T use another phone and dial 611 if you bought device from AT&T. AT&T is sending me a new SEM card bc their techs think the sound distortion error I'm having since device 1 has been caused by SEM card. SEM card was free this time bc device is still under warranty. Cool

Collapse -
BB Torch 3rd one replaced
by samjoyce4012 / October 14, 2011 10:40 PM PDT

Ok, after using the 3 Torch I'm ready to trade in and get a smartphone that
actually works. I've had 3rd one for Almost 2 months. Still having
problems using the phone. When I receive calls or make calls it sounds
like multiple people spooky ghosts sounds and people I call or when
they call me they don't know what is going on with my phone. AT&T
has replaced sim card I've carefully done a sync with BB Desktop app
but still having this sound distortion when making/receiving calls. Using OS
6 latest updates. Two days ago I found that I couldnt send emails via my
yahoo mail service? Please any suggestions on email????

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.