Phones forum

Resolved Question

Blackberry Curve trackball doing its own thing

by MarkPRichards / October 19, 2011 8:34 PM PDT

I've had a Blackberry Curve for seven months now and the trackball has begun to stick.

When I remove the battery for a few seconds and then return it the problem seems to be fixed - for a short while. Then it happens again.

I've read somewhere that it is a simple question of removing the trackball and cleaning it out, but this is easier said than done. I have tried it from all angles with all manner of implements, failed, and have now probably invalidated my warranty.

My provider told me to install some new software but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

MarkPRichards has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blackberry Curve trackball doing its own thing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blackberry Curve trackball doing its own thing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by MarkPRichards

Collapse -
Most things have 1 year warranties.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 5:44 AM PDT

Time to use that!

Collapse -
Thank you
by MarkPRichards / October 20, 2011 8:36 AM PDT

Sure, that's the obvious solution. But I guess I was looking for the easy option as the thought of sending off my phone to Virgin and never seeing it again does not appeal.

I think I'll have to bite the bullet. Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
Sorry but the other obvious is to clean it yourself.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

But my bet is that if they detect that or if you trigger the water indicator then you won't get a free repair.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) That's the rub of it n/m
by MarkPRichards / October 20, 2011 10:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Moisture is not your friend
by mariopeters2003 / February 27, 2012 6:50 PM PST

Rain, Spa's, Saunas, hot tubs, sweat box , sweaty sport activities and having your phone in your pocket close to your body without the benefit of a leather case will cause your woes to continue.....

Dump your phone into a bag of rice on a Sunday evening when your call demand is low--leave it on the charger if you must, but figure out a way to bury it in rice which is excellent for pulling moisture out over night.

You should have the ball replaced--the smartest way to do this and avoid the $39.99 or $49.99 most cell phone repair shops will stick you for is to find a old version of your phone at a thrift store buy it and take it into to your Blackberry dealer (if your not a do it yourself McGuyver type), typically they'll pop the new ball in if presented with both phones for free!!! ,

Voila you're rocking and rolling again!

Collapse -
Answer
Blackberry Curve trackball doing its own thing
by raekwonsteven / April 3, 2012 3:03 PM PDT

It seems completely hardware problem, you need to repair it.no options.

Collapse -
Answer
Hardware Problem
by kosai19 / April 17, 2012 10:09 AM PDT

Hi,

I work for a telecom company supporting these smartphone devices. I would get calls like this at least 5 times a day. People would do everything: re-install the operating system, reseat the battery, etc. I agree with some of the previous comments that this is a hardware problem.

Mostly this is caused from either moisture damage or dust being lodged in between the trackball. As mariopeters2003 has commented, placing it in rice for 24 hours helps to absorb moisture as the starch tends to go in between all components. We recommend this same trick for people who drop it in water. For dust issues you have to pop out the trackball, use compressed air, and place it back in.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend someone who isn't familiar with the hardware to tinker around as it voids the warranty. If it is within the 1 year warranty just send it in. You can backup all your software by doing a backup from the Blackberry Desktop Software program, then do a secure wipe to clear all confidential information.

I've seen people try all other crazy ideas and just end up wasting a lot of time. It's a known issue with these devices and it's the reason none of the newer devices don't use a trackball. Blackberry has moved to using a trackpad for just this reason.

Hope that helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.