PC Hardware forum

Question

black socket, the right side pin on my PSU burned HELP!!

by molife11 / March 5, 2012 4:09 PM PST

The black socket behind the psu burned the pin's color turned brownish-black. The cable I had was not properly inserted is the reason for it getting burned Sad

SO now I need to find a way to get it don't without spending much. Kind of like if I replace those black socket itself or something by soldering is it possible. And how is the process done.

Or any other recommendation you have.

Thanks a bunch.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: black socket, the right side pin on my PSU burned HELP!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: black socket, the right side pin on my PSU burned HELP!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
an image added
by molife11 / March 5, 2012 4:19 PM PST
Collapse -
You need another AC socket
by Willy / March 6, 2012 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: an image added

The item while an AC socket is also called an EIC type. Of course, any used or salvageable socket from another powered AC item similarly equipped will do. This is a fairly easy DIY fix provided you want to do this. Any computer repair shop or electronics source will do. If you really want this bad as in now, simply clip the current AC cord and splice it in and isolate it well.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Re: black socket, the right side pin on my PSU burned HELP!!
by gdmellott / March 5, 2012 5:10 PM PST

Picture did help clarify your problem. If your are reasonably handy with a soldering iron and have an old or failed PSU; then the problem is quite surmountable. I'd make sure you replace the cord (end) also; as It is likely just as badly burned. Since I cannot see precisely how badly burned, I'd say replace the socket wiht a new one. If one can readily polish the contact back up (with a Q-Tip and WD-40, or lightly working a paper fingernail file or the likes) and it has the same shape as originally, then doing that and replacing the cord (end) may be sufficient. The cord end is harder as it needs to have some slight springiness along with it being a clean metal surface for it to be a stable connection and not do the same thing again (or otherwise fail to serve your computer).

Collapse -
thank you for replying
by molife11 / March 6, 2012 2:42 AM PST

can you link me to a solution of cleaning it I had a taught of doing the same rather than changing the socket. Could you help me to get any of these "-Tip and WD-40, or lightly working a paper fingernail file " you recommended. I' can buy it online if required just tell me the tools required.

Thanks man

Collapse -
AC proper fix
by Willy / March 8, 2012 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: thank you for replying

IMHO, cleaning and such isn't going to cut it. This is a "safety issue" and if you proceed then think in the end you replace the effected components. You're dealing with direct AC, so I wouldn't take the easy way out if I were you. I offer this reply as serious as it should be taken as. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Whatever you decide, but don't forget that
by Steven Haninger / March 8, 2012 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: thank you for replying

the female end of the power cord is a goner. As Willie mentioned, you can hard wire it if you're handy. You'll need a grommet designed for the OD of the power cable that provides strain relief. You'll need a proper sized drill and a place to make a clean hole that matches the grommet. You'll need a diagonal cutter, a way to strip the wire and some basic soldering skills. Be very careful to note polarity as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.