Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Black Screen with White Flashing Underscore upon booting.

by jay2oo6 / January 31, 2010 10:12 AM PST

Hi, I recently used the upgrade function on windows 7 ultimate to upgrade my friends system from windows vista. The upgrade was fine and ran its course and we restarted the laptop and when attempting to boot again, the laptop now shows the white 'Acer' loading screen offering only to enter the F12 option. After this, the screen is completely black apart from in the top left corner, where there is a flashing white underscore present. The machine does not continue past this point.

The installation seemed to have worked as we were on the desktop with the new windows 7 'look' and i checked the properties of my computer and this shown up at windows 7 ultimate.

The system we are running is an Acer Aspire 5720 that was on windows vista and now windows 7.

I have tried changing the boot priority from the hard drive to the windows 7 disc to see if i can make a clean install but up until now I have been unsuccessful.

As you can imagine, as this is my friends laptop, I am to held responsible for this and I would be forever grateful if anyone could share a solution they know of with me?

p.s. through some research using google, there seems to be a few threads with problems relating to windows 7 and acer laptops, if this helps at all.

Also we did not create a recovery disc as we did not have time to however i have downloaded on my machine, an iso called 'windows 7 recovery disc', what should i do with this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black Screen with White Flashing Underscore upon booting.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black Screen with White Flashing Underscore upon booting.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 10:21 AM PST

You did the December 2009 issued BIOS upgrade before the Windows 7 install? Right?

"Model Name: Aspire 5315, Aspire 5320, Aspire 5715Z, Aspire 5720, Aspire 7320, Aspire 7720, eMachines E510

Install SOP

Collapse -
Sorry, Did not know about BIOS update needed.
by jay2oo6 / January 31, 2010 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: Just checking.

Hey, thanks for the super quick reply. Regarding the december 2009 BIOS upgrade, I did not know of this and did not do this, is this were the problem may have came from?

I don't understand why it will not boot now yet when we first upgraded it, we loaded up absolutely fine.

Also sorry about my technical expertise, it only covers so much, as i have not upgraded the BIOS, is there anyway i could possibly recover the system or do a clean install?

Collapse -
Apologise, I do not know how to edit a post.
by jay2oo6 / January 31, 2010 10:51 AM PST

Hi, sorry about double posting ( I don't know if that is a rule on this site). Under F2 (not F12 as i incorrectly stated earlier) I accessed what i believe to be the BIOS (turquoise coloured menu?)and under boot option, changed this from first looking to boot from the HDD and instead moved the dvd drive up to number on the list (I had mistakenly thought another thing on the last was the dvd drive).

This gave me some response, now instead of the black screen with the white flashing underscore, it now has 'Please press any button to load from the disc' or words to that effect and i have done so and I am now faced with an installation screen for windows 7 asking for the language etc, so I am thinking is this wanting me to do a fresh/clean install and if so, do i continue?

Thanks and sorry to be a bother.

Collapse -
It's all part of the learning process.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 10:52 AM PST

Whenever you do such an upgrade you hit the maker's site to see what support files are there that are new. The BIOS popped out since it was so fresh. There are other drivers too.

I'd go back to the old OS and get all the BIOS and drivers from Acer next time out.

As you can guess, I'm not there but I can share we've been here before where it works and fails later.

Recovery or clean install? Why not boot the 7 DVD and try?

Collapse -
Newer options presented to me
by jay2oo6 / January 31, 2010 11:16 AM PST

Hi Bob, sorry to keep posting what seems to be the same post over again. I have chosen the language etc to be UK and now it offers me the option to either repair, this being in the bottom left corner or the standard clean/upgrade options as if i were installing win7 for the first time.

My big worry is my friend would very much like to keep all his docs as it has his uni work on it (we only backed up some things as we thought the upgrade would work perfect, as it did so on my laptop) and therefore i feel if i do an 'upgrade' installation on a system that has already been 'upgraded' to windows 7, will this cause more damage to the system?

I have a windows vista disc as well, would you recommend me just leaving windows 7 and installing this?

One more thing, would it be advisable to somehow get back onto the computer either through repair or upgrade and to make a backup of these docs he needs and then to install windows vista?

Thanks for your help so far as well!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 11:56 AM PST

Backup first.

The idea of changing the OS with files we can't lose on the hard drive should now be a bit obvious. I apologize for not finding a less blunt way to writing this.

Let's find a way to get the files out?

-> Boot up UBUNTU (see google on how to run it from CD) and put some USB hard drive on it and copy the files out. Now that the files are safe, we can try the 7 DVD again. The clean install is the best way since leftovers can spoil this party.

And given we have google docs, why don't folk use that for documents we can't lose?

Collapse -
by jay2oo6 / January 31, 2010 6:40 PM PST
In reply to: Stop.

Thank you Bob for reminding me of Ubuntu, I had forgotten about that and the livr CD function, I have a copy of Ubuntu 9.10 and I ran that and I have now managed to get his whole user off the laptop and onto my external HDD, now i will continue with a clean install on win7. Fingers crossed!

Collapse -
New problem
by jay2oo6 / January 31, 2010 7:02 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks.

I have attempted to make a clean install of win7 but for the installation process, the machine needs to restart several times. When it does this it reverts back to the original problem that it wont load and shows the 'Acer' screen followed by 'press any key to continue' and when I do this, it brings me back to the original 'Install Windows' menu.

Collapse -
It may need that BIOS upgrade to install 7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: New problem

I didn't check the notes at acer, but the probability is high.

Also, change the boot order to HDD first and see if that cures the blinky cursor symptom. I have this hp d499t that does that if the boot order is CD first. Go figure when they'll fix that but easy enough to change when I need to use the boot CDs.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.