Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Black screen on my Toshiba satellite L450D-13X laptop.

by Scobie59 / January 7, 2013 4:13 AM PST

Press the power button, straight to black screen.
No BIOS, just power light and the sound of the hardrive and dvd drive booting up. Used vga cable to attach another monitor, still black.Took hardrive out and retrieved data to PC, so that seems ok.. Laptop has been advising battery replacement prior to crash which I've now done. Still straight to blackscreen. Pretty noob on these things. Really would appriecate any advice.

Scobie59 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black screen on my Toshiba satellite L450D-13X laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black screen on my Toshiba satellite L450D-13X laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Scobie59

Collapse -
Try a bootable CD, but this sounds like hardware
by wpgwpg / January 7, 2013 4:38 AM PST

I suspect a hardware problem, but get hold of a bootable CD and see if you get anything on the screen with it. You can use a Windows install disc, Toshiba recovery disc, Windows 7 repair disc, UBCD or Ubuntu disc. If you don't get anything on the screen with these, you need to take your laptop to a service technician.

Good luck.

Collapse -
What would a technician do?
by Scobie59 / January 7, 2013 4:54 AM PST

Thanks. Tried your suggestions and no luck. Do I really have to take it to a service technician? I really like to use these breakdowns as learning opportunities. Can you give me any idea of what they would do?

Collapse -
You'd need a way to test the mobo, video, and screen
by wpgwpg / January 7, 2013 5:01 AM PST

Since you'd need these things which most folks don't have and wouldn't know how to use if they did, you're going to need a trained technician to find and fix a hardware problem - especially on a laptop because many of the parts are proprietary.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks again.
by Scobie59 / January 7, 2013 5:36 AM PST

Thanks again. I'll take it to the shop. Side question. I have pc with an audio problem. If Iplay anything from the hardrive on Vlc or Winmedia I have good sound. However if I play anything from my broadband, ie the radio or youtube the sound is very distorted. Any ideas?

Collapse -
For YOUTUBE there is a general piece of advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks again.

Google this and try it. You can undo it in a flash (no pun intended.)

DISABLE FLASH HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

Collapse -
DISABLE FLASH HARDWARE ACCELERATION
by Scobie59 / January 7, 2013 6:30 AM PST

Didn't work, but I really appreciate the advice. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 6:40 AM PST

Took a gander at the notebook itself.
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&toshibaShop=false&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=1080748&BV_Script=/jsp/fixup/productPage

That's a SINGLE CORE low speed unit. I take it that this never worked? For today's media play you really want dual core and some capable GPU. Entry level will be fine.

Sorry, but unless there's more story I have to chalk it up to the laptop is what it is.
Bob

Collapse -
My mistake.
by Scobie59 / January 7, 2013 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

I should have been clearer. By pc I meant my desktop which is a Compaq Presario which is about 6 years old and runs Win XP.. Never had this audio problem until a few weeks ago. Just read up a bit on dual core. Thanks, never understood what they really were or the need for them.

What do you mean by 'entry level will be fine'

Collapse -
New topic?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: My mistake.

Sorry but in this discussion we are talking about a laptop noted at the top of the forum.

I'd start a new discussion since it's about a different machine, different issue, etc.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.