Computer Help forum

General discussion

~ Black screen on firefox~

by unloco96 / August 6, 2009 9:45 AM PDT

Occasionally when using the latest version of firefox ( I cannot remember if this happened prior to the latest update) the entire page goes black in all tabs. I cannot do anything but close firefox and restart it. Does this sound like a virus or possibly just a bug within the latest version? Anyone else experience this? Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I dont do crazy downloads or go to suspicious web sites either, at least not on purpose.
Thanks,
Mitch

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ~ Black screen on firefox~
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ~ Black screen on firefox~
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not seen that before, but some Options
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 6, 2009 9:48 PM PDT

Make sure your security software is up to date, and scan for viruses and other malware.

Maybe one of your add-ons is corrupt. You can either disable them all then test each one, or try Firefox in its own Safe Mode, (goto Start > Run, type in firefox -safe-mode and click OK). I assume you are using Windows XP?

The difficulty with that option is, occasionally means intermittent, so trying to catch this when that happens is going to be a problem.

Possibly your Firefox profile is corrupted. Have a look at John Wilkinson's [urlhttp://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?threadID=247371&tag=forums06;forum-threads]Sticky note, (2nd post), for guidance how to recover from that. You may want to back up your bookmarks.html file first.

Check for patterns. Does this happen when a) a set number of tabs are open, b) a particular web site is accessed, c) particular web sites in the other tabs are open, or any combination of those.

Mark

Collapse -
Firefox black screens
by qaz111111 / June 13, 2011 3:18 PM PDT

I used firefox 4.01 and then relaoded XP Pro. Firefox 401 would not work properly AFTER updates including SP2 & 3.
I reinstalled firefox but there was no change. I went back to Firefox 3.6 and the problems are gone. When I went back to 3.6 I did remove my personalized files and add-ons. 3.6 works perfectly as Firefox 4 never did. This recrimination of 4 includes the home page in new tab add-on which is not stable either.

Collapse -
Back ground is black
by lkhausm / August 25, 2015 1:46 PM PDT

I have down loaded fire fox 2 time now and both time my back ground is black. I have gone to the content and colors, to change the back ground, but all the colors in both text and back ground are all black. Can some one help me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.