Desktops

Resolved Question

black screen on boot but runs in safe mode

by Rika24 / January 29, 2013 2:43 AM PST

Vista sp 2 64 bit
Hp pavilion elite m9250f
Monitor - hp w1907

It was fine last night but when I tried to turn it on today the monitor blacks out but the comps tower is lit to show its still on.

Restarted in safe mode with networking and it started fine

I'm currently backing my 2 hard drives up with power2go to be on the safe side, but i'd like to know how to fix it as I'm scared to turn the thing off now

Please let me know what you think

Rika24 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: black screen on boot but runs in safe mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: black screen on boot but runs in safe mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Rika24

Collapse -
In Safe Mode, lower your screen resolution
by wpgwpg / January 29, 2013 3:01 AM PST

It sounds like the resolution your computer is set for is incompatible with your monitor and/or video hardware. Since you can boot to Safe Mode OK, go into the Display applet of the Control Panel and lower the resolution.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Res
by Rika24 / January 29, 2013 3:27 AM PST

I thought you're supposed to use the default res for the monitor. The current res is 1440 x 900. What res would you suggest?

Collapse -
Since it works in Safe Mode & not in normal...
by wpgwpg / January 29, 2013 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Res

When you run in Safe Mode, you get 640 x 480, so I'd try lowering the resolution. Normally I'd use the default for the monitor, but if your PC's video can't handle that, you've got to either lower the setting or get a better video card. Try 800 x 600 and see if that works. If it does, try 1024 x 786, and keep going up 'till you find one that doesn't, then back down from that.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Working now
by Rika24 / January 29, 2013 6:02 AM PST

I set the res 800 x 600 in safe mode and restarted and the moitor went black for a minute before working. The res however is the same 1440 x 900, so I don't know what got it working again, but I'm not complaining! Thanks for the help. But any idea what fixed it?

Collapse -
Did you sprinkle holy water on that monitor? :-)
by wpgwpg / January 29, 2013 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Working now

Just kidding about the holy water obviously; your guess is probably good as mine. If it goes black again though, be sure to remember what you did! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.