Desktops forum

General discussion

Black screen, computer wont boot.

by AsianRZ / March 5, 2007 9:14 AM PST

Hey guys, I've got a problem with my pc. It seems that my PC does not boot and gives me a black screen. I've tried cleaning it, unplugging all of my hardwares, testing my hard drives and nothing works. The PC turns on but all it gives me is a blank screen. Is it my processor, ram, CMOS battery? Anyone know what the problem is? I'd appreciate your advices.

Thx

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black screen, computer wont boot.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black screen, computer wont boot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
computer wont boot
by bthayer / March 5, 2007 10:53 AM PST

I just went through the same problem. No screen, only the fans race when I turn on the computer. Tech support (internet chat line)had me disconnect the drive, pull out the memory, and listen for beeps but there was no change. They suggested it was (probably the motherboard) but I'm not one to necessarily believe a first diagnosis, and I'm no technician.
I hope others will chime in on this as we are both in the same boat and changing boards without more definitive proof can get very expensive.

Collapse -
My friend had the same prob until...
by Brett. A / February 12, 2008 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: computer wont boot

Ugh my friend had the same problem until he "Smashed" his motherboard "Intel" (Sorry but from what I have seen now and heard so much about some Intel board just don't work well for Nvidia and over clocking. Plus it could have been the fact that it only cost him 40$ for the what I think was an already broken board from another friend at work.)and decided to get a Asus mother board what board do you have? I have had no problems like this as I have an Asus but I have been having a long boot up time lately all. The thing is I just have redone my GPU, MB Chipset 648 Happy and my CPU Intel P4 3000mhz all with arctic 5 series sliver thermal paste. The thing is ever since I have done this It "seems" to take a longer while to boot up to detect the screen and come on you to the test screen. The fans all race but I'm suspecting that this might be from it just detecting everything. If anyone has any advice that could help much appreciated and thanks.

Collapse -
As the note inidcates....
by VAPCMD / March 5, 2007 10:55 AM PST

"If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

Is the system still under warranty ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
PC spec
by AsianRZ / March 6, 2007 12:17 AM PST

My specs are:
Windows XP Pro
P4 2.8 HT
1.5 RAM
Geforce 6600GT
120 GB ATA/IDE Hard Drive
ASUS p4s800 motherboard

It's custom built so I got no warranty on it.

Collapse -
your problem plus specs and questions to answer
by acoxon1274 / March 6, 2007 7:07 AM PST

It seems that my PC does not boot and gives me a black screen. I've tried cleaning it, unplugging all of my hardwares, testing my hard drives and nothing works. The PC turns on but all it gives me is a blank screen. Is it my processor, ram, CMOS battery? Anyone know what the problem is?

My specs are:
Windows XP Pro
P4 2.8 HT
1.5 RAM
Geforce 6600GT
120 GB ATA/IDE Hard Drive
ASUS p4s800 motherboard

no warranty on it.

Okay, Is there fan noise/rotation, are the fans running? When you power on the system do the fans just start to move and stop (check this out with the case open)?

What was the last big change for the system (new card, software update)? Were there any problems or error messages before nothing but blank screen?

I would start looking into testing the power supply. Try here for how to http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=137886

Good luck.

Collapse -
Troubleshoot..
by AsianRZ / March 6, 2007 7:48 AM PST

The fans are all running and I haven't made any recent upgardes for my PC. There's nothing before or after the blank screen.

A couple of my buddies also told me that the problem might be the power supply but I'm not sure. Logically speaking, if the power supply is not working properly then the whole PC wouldn't start would it?

Collapse -
Possable dead PSU
by Urkel. / March 6, 2007 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Troubleshoot..

It's rare but I've seen power supplies partially die and lose just one of it's 12v rails. I'd try a different power supply as the first step.

Collapse -
the link talks about rails
by acoxon1274 / March 6, 2007 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Troubleshoot..

The PSU has different voltages going out. It could be that the 12 volt (fans are mostly 12 volt) rail (one rail for each voltage out) maybe working but say one of the other rails is shorted or the voltage is too low causing the CPU not to come on. The details in the link in my first post should explain this better and as the PSU is one of the few things you can check without taking the system apart it would be good if you tested it per the link instructions. It is a good place to start and given that you have checked some of the other hardware it would be good to take it off the list. If you don't have a metter maybe one of your firends does. This is a hunt for a needle in a hay stack, Good luck.

Collapse -
Solved
by AsianRZ / March 7, 2007 2:13 PM PST

Thx for your advices everyone. You were right bus. The power supply blew so I took your advice and changed the power supply and it worked. Thx again.

Collapse -
Glad to hear you solved the problem. Thx for the reply,
by acoxon1274 / March 8, 2007 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Solved

always good to know the out come.

Collapse -
blank screen
by ddbpack / February 22, 2008 3:50 AM PST

have you tried another monitor?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.