Computer Help forum

General discussion

by fred436` / July 29, 2010 5:20 AM PDT

I have a HP a1640n Media Center 2005 that came with XP that was upgraded to vista home premium. It was set to auto updates when my home page changed by itself, I went to system restore to reset it where I had it, and when it went to restart, all I got was black screen with the mouse cursor showing and it was active, but nothing showing. I'm new to this so any help will be appreciated. PLEASE HELP ME!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BLACK SCREEN AFTER USING SYSTEM RECOVERY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Tried Restarting In Safe Mode,Then Run System Restore Again?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 29, 2010 6:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
What to do...
by Papa Echo / July 29, 2010 8:25 AM PDT

Scan for malware... Reset your homepage. If you are not sure how, let us know which browser you are using.

Collapse -
How To ?
by fred436` / July 29, 2010 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: What to do...

How do I scan for malware when I have nothing I can see ? I' using internet explorer 7. I have adaware on the machine, I'm sending this to you from another computer. Thank You for any Help.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / July 29, 2010 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: How To ?

...misunderstood - thought your browser was showing a blank page.

Collapse -
Solved Black Screen Problem
by fred436` / July 30, 2010 12:15 PM PDT

I would like to thank all who helped me. fred436

Collapse -
(NT) For The Forum's Knowledge, HOW Did You Solve It?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 8:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
How I fixed black screen
by fred436` / July 31, 2010 12:28 PM PDT

I had to use my recovery discs, and had to reload everything.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks For Posting Back !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 12:48 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.