Samsung forum

Black LINES! Edge-Lit LED TV

by siovahn88 / July 13, 2011 3:44 PM PDT

Seems as though problems with the horizontal and vertical lines on these edge lit LED TVs are pretty popular with Samsung. I find it to be a bit disappointing that these TVs can't last more than 2 years.

I've called Samsung and apparently there still isn't a special service for this issue. Please post if you are having the same problem!!

My Samsung LED TV model # UN46B6000VF has been in use for 19 months. Last week it began with these black lines spaced 1/4 inch apart running horizontally from the left and fading to the right. I'm pissed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black LINES! Edge-Lit LED TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black LINES! Edge-Lit LED TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They should do something
by RayzTheRoof / July 13, 2011 4:20 PM PDT

Is your television still under a warranty? If it is, they better do something to either fix or replace the tv. Otherwise, my new tv seems like a terrible purchase...

Collapse -
No warranty
by siovahn88 / July 19, 2011 2:20 PM PDT

No, Samsung gives 12 months parts & labor. I didn't get an extended warranty because I figured I was buying SAMSUNG it should last at least 5 years and by that time I'll want a new tv anyway. No way did I expect this piece to die in less than 2 years.

Collapse -
Actually it can be 15 months.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2011 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: No warranty

This is why ALL the details are needed in posts. It's always nice to get the extra 3 months and pull it back under warranty.

About 5 years. Today, no matter what you buy it looks like we need warranties if we can't accept failures like this. That's a discussion that is worth having but not here.

Collapse -
I looked it up.
by siovahn88 / July 20, 2011 3:04 AM PDT

I already checked my model & all the other info and I've called Samsung and yes my TV only had 12 months. Even if, like I said in my op I've been using it for 19 months. And you're right, 5 years, what the crap am I smoking? I will not accept a failure like this because even if I had an extended warranty Samsung said they wouldn't do anything about it unless I shipped it back to the states - so a lot of good that would have done me.

I live in Guam, bought my TV at the Naval Exchange and Samsung's fix was for me to ship it back to the US to my parents house and then they would come out to see if there was a special service on it. I asked if he could just look it up on his magical computer and low and behold he could, there wasn't a special service. So I'm supposed to wait until we move back to the states and then call and maybe they will have a special service in by then. So a few more years later and toting this broke *** tv all across the world and maybe some slim chance we will get it fixed?

Collapse -
I looked it up.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 20, 2011 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I looked it up.

Collapse -
by siovahn88 / July 20, 2011 4:33 AM PDT

Ok I'm not a total idiot. I understand that its out of warranty, I never had an extended warranty, and I'm not upset that I live in Guam and warranty isn't being validated because my warranty is already over. What I am upset about is the individual I talked to who insisted I ship it to the US without any other option of even letting me know if there was a special service on the TV. Regardless of all that, what I'm saying is that from the research I've done over the past week I've noticed this to be a huge problem with these TVs. I am not the only person experiencing this issue. There is a pattern here and its not fair to the consumers. You just can't make crap that last until the warranty is up and get away with it....ask HP.

Collapse -
HP. You're kidding me?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2011 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: ;)

Just last year I lost a laptop to HP's repair system. It's one year later and we are inching toward a resolution.

HP broke it and it took 6 months for a nice HP rep to step in. I've had to bite my tongue but at times I can't help but write about this and HP.

Collapse -
Good point. INTERNATIONAL warranty and service is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2011 3:22 AM PDT

Well, how can I put this nicely? Folk do move around but due to what would be a very long explanation it is very rare to get worldwide service.

My Honda for example had no warranty as I moved to another country. Yes they honored the recall items but no warranty and that was at 6 months.

Like I wrote, this area of world wide warranties is not going to be a nice discussion, but I try.

Collapse -
Same issue
by djrosen / October 3, 2011 2:10 PM PDT

Odd thing is mine are only along the right side of the screen, left side is fine. Its not a perfect division and the lines are more visible near the bottom of the screen. Is this fixable?

UN46b6000VF - out of warranty Bought October 4th 2009 via Amazon Almost 2 years to the day.

Collapse -
Same issue -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 4, 2011 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.