Samsung forum

General discussion

Black Horizontal Lines on Screen

by babes808gpa / January 11, 2010 7:41 AM PST

Anyone experiencing thin black horizonal lines from top to bottom? I did a picture test as well as played a dvd no change. Any comments?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black Horizontal Lines on Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black Horizontal Lines on Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Black Horizontal Lines on Screen
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 12, 2010 9:31 AM PST

Where are the lines located, and does this happen on all inputs?

Collapse -
Exactly same issue with horizotal gray lines top to bottom o
by sxn3n / January 16, 2010 12:03 AM PST

I have the same issue with horizontal lines from top to bottom of screen which are darker on the left side of the screen and get lighter as you go to right and then dissapear toward the left side of the screen. The lines are modt obvious on light backgrounds and are hidden on darker backgrounds. This issue occurs on all inputs and does not change when HDMI cable are changed. My TV is a UN46B7100 with SQ02 type panel purchased 11 months ago!

Samsung tech any ideas? I called Samsung and they have sent a local tech out to try and determine cause, but I am getting worried since I am almost out of warranty period.

Collapse -
by speedrocks84 / January 18, 2010 12:20 PM PST

hey jeff i read your post noticed i have the same problem as you my tv is samsung ln46b650 7-8 monts old barely use it, i have multiple thin grey lines running across my tv right too left, i was wondering if you have resolve your issue about your tv any update about your tv?

Collapse -
Thin horiz lines across UN46B7100 screen top to bottom
by sxn3n / January 19, 2010 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: 46b650

Had local service guy come out and take a look at it. He did some messing around with some patterns in the service menu for about 5 minutes, and said looks like it is a bad LCD panel. He is on vacation this week but said he will be ordering a new panel and will come back to swap out the panel(1/2 hour job) in another week or so.

So hopefully that fixes the problem, but I'm not happen about swapping the panel for a new one. I think they should have swapped for a new TV since it's only ~10 months old and still in original 1 year warranty period. I will let you know if it works!

Hope you can solve your issue also. Let me know how yours turns out.

Collapse -
thin horizontal lines across ln46b650
by speedrocks84 / January 19, 2010 2:36 PM PST

sorry too hear that, it would be nice if they just replace the whole tv for a new one, i called samsung today and they gonna send a service for a my tv, waiting for them too call me in about 2 days too book appointment, hopfully they fix the problem, did your tech say anything about what was the problem? ill update you once i know my problem okay ttyl thanks for the reply

Collapse -
thin lines across screen top to bottom
by sxn3n / January 20, 2010 12:01 PM PST

He just said it was most likely a bad LCD panel, but he didn't sound very convincing. I hope he knows want he is doing. Let me know what your service guy says. I'll let you know when he swaps the panel and if it works.

Collapse -
thin horizonal lines on UN46B7100
by sxn3n / February 1, 2010 9:19 AM PST

Service guy finally came today and replaced LCD panel problem is solved!
No more horizontal thin lines up and down entire screen every 1/4 in or so on left side of screen.

Good thing too my warranty is up next month!

Collapse -
by speedrocks84 / February 5, 2010 10:09 AM PST

my service guy swap the whole lcd panel in 20 min's max like nothing, no more lines for mines too, but im gonna extend my warranty for 2 more years just in case anything happens.

Collapse -
How are you extending the warranty to 2 Years?
by sxn3n / February 5, 2010 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: lcd

Who are you using to get extended warranty? I would like to do that to if possible. Are you getting it through Samsung or someone else?

Collapse -
by speedrocks84 / February 7, 2010 8:22 AM PST

i havent done it yet, but i think u go to and register

Collapse -
Samsung LN46B650
by Jim3722 / March 7, 2010 4:23 AM PST

Hi Speedrock84 I have the same problems, thin Horz. lines. When the tech. replaced your panal did he use all of the orginal circuts card from the old panal. Main Ckt borard, power supply and t-con board. I belive there were three (3). Did the panal come with new t-con board. It`s the one in the center.
Thanks Jim3722

Collapse -
hey jim sorry about your problem
by speedrocks84 / March 7, 2010 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung LN46B650

what he did was replace the whole lcd panel, and he replaced the circuit thing where you plug your usb and hdmi cable he replaced that too.

Collapse -
Samsung LN46B650 Horizonal Lines
by Jim3722 / March 17, 2010 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LN46B650

This is a followup on post 3/7/10. Tech replaced the LCD panel w/t-con board. Problem with Horizonal line was resolved. The picture clarity is not as good as before and the picture is not as bright. I asked the tech if Samsung repair record was good. He stated that it had a bad repair record. He also stated that Vizio had the best repair history followed by Sony.
Thanks Jim

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.