Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

black and white negatives

by arahour / January 5, 2006 6:57 AM PST

I have several hundred black and white negatives which I need to scan and eventually put on a CD.
These date from the 1930s to the 1970s from 35mm to 4 x 5 inch.
I need recomendations for a scanner and appropriate software to adjust the image.
Eventually I will need appropriate software to write to a CD.
Your help will be appreciated.
I have Windows XP with over 200 GB of storage.
Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: black and white negatives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: black and white negatives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe, its cheaper if you
by Melati Hitam / January 21, 2006 6:43 PM PST

go to a pro shop, many photo services can do what you need.

It will certainly save you a lot of time.

As for scanner, google it for the review on major brand scanner (HP, Canon, Umax, etc.)

Also there are many Software to write a cd.. (i.e. Nero, Roxio etc.)

Collapse -
Maybe cheaper?
by taboma / March 2, 2006 2:52 PM PST

Good info from Melati Hitam.
A good inexpensive scanner will cost about $150.
Software costs vary. If you want to adjust and correct for lousy shots or scratches on the negs than a good sofware program will help you.
I use Adobe Photoshop. Not cheap.
If you do not care about quality take a look at Wal Mart and have the negs processed by them. Mark the ones you want prints of.

One interesting approach is to scan them and use a software program like H.P. The software will change it to a positive image for viewing. Save the ones you like and burn the images to a CD or DVD disk.
Print those on your own printer or using Wall Mart or Wallgreen's SNAPSHISH. Go to snapfish.com.
Check out their prices.
Hope this info helps you.

-Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.