Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Bitdefender AV

by oningsio / May 6, 2013 1:50 AM PDT

I purchased Bitdefender AV on 2012 and as I was to learn later one, it was the most ineffective, unreliable Anti-Virus program one could ever purchase. Last Jan 2012 my PC was infected with an FBI virus despite having their AV software and because I am ignorant of what to do under that circumstance, I took my PC to a shop and had the virus removed after paying $119.54. 4 weeks later the same thing happened and this time because I could not go online as the virus locked me out completely I once again had to take to the same shop to remove the virus. In between, I contacted their CS and their response almost suggested I was at fault for not knowing what to do in that event. To spend more than $400. to take care of a problem their program was supposed to prevent and when it didn't, their excuse was that the virus mutate and in essence, there's not much they could do about it and that I should have contacted them before I did anything. Given this obtuse explanation I decided it would be best to drop them and subsequently asked for a refund but was told that since I purchased it from a 3rd party, they can't do anything. Being completely ignorant of this (all I know is that I bought it from their website) I swallowed my anger and took it up as a learning experience. Given this experience, I would not recommend Bitdefender to anyone. In my experience their product is simply unreliable and their customer service is just as bad if not worse. In my opinion any one promoting their product would be guilty as a co-conspirator. PS: I have copies of my email to their CS supporting what I just stated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bitdefender AV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bitdefender AV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bitdefender etc.
by pgc3 / May 6, 2013 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Bitdefender AV

There is no such thing as total panacea to all problems. I used Bitdefender years ago on a couple of XP systems and it ran fairly well, that was then. Since the advent of Win7 I've been using the Kaspersky Internet Security package on 4 systems and it has performed nearly flawlessly. There so many different trains of thought when it comes to A/V security software that discussions could go on and on. A couple of free tools that are good to have in conjunction with A/V software(s) would be Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, they are available free and are reasonably effective for Malware and/or spyware. There are other freebies as well but I'd suggest researching on the net before I got too carried away. The Kaspersky Security suite is NOT cheap but I have yet to have a major infestation issue since I started using it.

Collapse -
by mchainmchain / May 6, 2013 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Bitdefender AV

For the price of a second hard drive and disc imaging software, recovery from this sort of disaster can be done in as little as 15 minutes, and no need to go to a shop to repair. To protect against this sort of disaster, automatic daily backups (preferably incremental daily backups) is recommended.

Many such to choose from: GOOGLE Imaging software, Best Imaging software, Best Free Imaging software to get the idea.

Preparing for disaster ahead of time is really your only defense for this sort of pest.

No point in the bad guys putting out rogue software if it does not bypass a/v protection; it must work, else why bother?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.