Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

BIT TORRENT IS VIRUS

by mike3954 / June 15, 2006 9:42 AM PDT

ATTENTION I HAVE DISCOVERD THAT AFFTER AVG MY ANTI VIRUS DID A REACENT UPDATE IT FOUND THE PROGRAMME BIT TORRENT HAS A VIRUS ABOUT 3 ACUTALY ATTENTION DELETE IMMEDANTLY CNET DO THE SAME THIS WARNING MUSS BE SPRED FOR MINIMAL INFECTION THE PROGRAMME IS ALSO WITH THIS SITE

p.s to cenet.download.com srry i put a small bit of personal affair/attake but i suggest u delete it do to my test i delete the programme and re-download it and tryed to install but avg had stopped it due to viral activaty

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BIT TORRENT IS VIRUS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BIT TORRENT IS VIRUS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, Good Reason NOT To Install P2P Programs
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 15, 2006 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: BIT TORRENT IS VIRUS
Collapse -
i know but
by mike3954 / June 15, 2006 9:51 AM PDT

T_T it is the best way to get the videos and games i want i know its insacure but avg is good as a securaty programme right?

Collapse -
AVG's Fine But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 15, 2006 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: i know but

...if you want to deal in P2P file sharing,, it's like walking on the edge of a cliff.. Sooner or later, no matter what you do, you're liable to fall off..

Viruses, spyware, and possible expensive repercussions from downloading copyrighted materials are a high price to pay no matter which antivirus or antispyware you're using.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
test
by mike3954 / June 15, 2006 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG's Fine But...

yes i understand,but i did a test i deleted the programme,and re-downloaded it just to make sure it wasent a small piece of coded infected by a current download and rate affter installuation avg picked up viral activaty if it was just my computer then i over reacated but if it is a small scame of viral infection i want the word to be sperd out

Collapse -
Thanks, The Word's Been Spread Repeatedly On These Forums...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 15, 2006 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: test

P2P software, OF ALL TYPES, are liable to contain viruses or spyware.. It's common.

That said, do you have the EXACT name of the virus or spyware that was detected by AVG? That information might help us tell you what it is.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
maby
by mike3954 / June 15, 2006 10:35 AM PDT

ther in the valt:
trojan hoarsePSW.Generic2.AOK
trojan hoarse dropper.Generic.DZD
trojan hoarse downloader.Zlob.AMX

Collapse -
side note:
by mike3954 / June 15, 2006 11:09 AM PDT

oh and the programme is on download.com wich is on the Cnet networks

Collapse -
bit torrent = spyware, Apparently
by kegizsftzp / June 15, 2006 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: side note:

yea I did a scan when I had bit torrent installed and spy sweeper detected it as spyware although AVG never detected it as being a virus.

Collapse -
mm
by mike3954 / June 16, 2006 1:20 AM PDT

what vertion do you have i use 7.1 and by the way if the two securatys are NOT compatibal avg wont work

Collapse -
Minimal Risk
by kooky / June 18, 2006 9:10 PM PDT
In reply to: mm

I'll tell ya what, I'm not going to stop getting all the free material I get because of some virus. I realise that p2p and bittorrent are sometimes risky, but until they can tell my monitor to self destruct, or kick my dog and kill my cat, the risk is so minimal.

Collapse -
Risk Is A Personal Choice..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 19, 2006 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Minimal Risk

...and to say the least, since this is a "Virus & Security" based forum, using P2P programs is not high on the "Best Security Practices" list. It's not "sometimes risky". It's "always" risky. Although not specifically about BT, read ALL of the posts in the link below. We discussed this at link in the McAfee forums and there's more risk than you think and some of the consequences are potentially major. Still, taking that risk is up to the individual.:

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=4911&highlight=kazaa

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
BitTorrent is not KaZaa
by Trane Francks / June 19, 2006 6:13 AM PDT

> Hope this helps.

It doesn't, Grif, when you're not talking about apples to apples. BitTorrent itself is not a problem. It is open-source software and an open-source peer-to-peer networking protocol. As this is a "Virus & Security" forum, it is not helpful to fan the flames of FUD.

I use BitTorrent over at bt.etree.org to upload/download legal recordings of live concerts. There is nothing "always" risky about it. This isn't to say that BT can't be used for nefarious purposes, but it is quite a reach to state that it is outright to be avoided. That's patently false.

You'd do well to note that while the RIAA is going after KaZaa and its users, the motion picture industry has inked deals with Braam Cohen, the founder of BitTorrent, to work on legal distribution of visual media.

I hope *this* helps.

Collapse -
Grrrr - Make that Bram Cohen
by Trane Francks / June 19, 2006 6:17 AM PDT

> Braam Cohen

I should proofread before I post. Sorry, Bram.

Collapse -
Be Aware Of The Realities...P2P vs P2P
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 19, 2006 7:20 AM PDT

Apples to Apples:

Bit Torrent is not the holier-than-though service you propose. Yep, BRAM Cohen is one sharp dude (although definitely unusual), but believe me, I've made a fair amount of change cleaning up user's computers that use BT exclusively..BT succeeds because users are provided with a good quality program that gives access to free, downloadable content on the net, whether that be copyrighted or not:

BitTorrent Whiz Extolled Piracy?

The RIAA negotiation with Bit Torrent, among other reasons, was basically to avoid pursueing further legal action. .

But please don't let this discussion sink to something about copyright issues. That's not my main point.

If you'll read my post above, although I linked to the KaZaa thread at McAfee's forum, I referred to P2P as a whole.. Whether you personally use BT to download copyrighted materials, or NOT, is immaterial.. The fact that ALL users of ALL P2P software are downloading/sharing files with the "unknowns" of the world is the key point.

Through experience with the product, you believe you've found a safe Torrent site to download legal files. You've managed your risk to the point that you think it negligible.. Unfortunately, not all users get a chance or even want a chance to get that far. If a song or movie is available from a particular location, it gets' downloaded, good or bad, and many suffer the consequences.. Suffice it to say, next to e-mail, P2P file sharing programs spread the most viruses and spyware. (And Bit Torret IS a P2P file sharing program.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Not going to quit
by micker377 / June 19, 2006 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Minimal Risk

It's OK if you don't care about YOUR computer (good back-ups, etc.), but you could also be infecting anyone you come in contact with. Spare the rest of us.

Collapse -
Can your write legitimately???
by hoserdude / June 19, 2006 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: i know but

Could you please work on writing so it can be read? My gosh, can you even understand your own writing? Ugh!

Collapse -
...i'm missing something
by shankru85 / June 18, 2006 10:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
BitTorrent is NOT a virus
by Trane Francks / June 18, 2006 10:08 PM PDT

BitTorrent is (1) a peer-to-peer network protocol specification and (2) the name of the original program that implemented that protocol. It is by no means a virus in and of itself.

It is possible that one of the archives distributing a BitTorrent program is infected with a virus, yes, but to offer a blanket "IT'S A VIRUS! RUN FOR THE HILLS AND HIDE YOUR WIMMIN-FOLK AN' CHILLEN WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!" message is just nonsense and not at all helpful.

Supply the name and size of the file archive you downloaded that caused you the trouble. Also supply the source of that file. Chicken-Little messages aren't helpful and only serve to alarm people without giving them real facts with which to work.

Collapse -
False positive?
by accs305 / June 19, 2006 2:14 AM PDT

This has been known to occur, even in the best AV apps.

Oh and the next time you decide to send out an alert, please be sure to take a few deep breaths; then start typing. Try a spell and grammar check if possible.

Your alert looks more like the work of a chronic paranoid schizophrenic than a cocerned netizen.

Collapse -
What?
by skrackov / June 19, 2006 4:44 AM PDT

What are you trying to say exactly? That BitTorrent is a virus? First, BitTorrent is a technology, not a program or for that matter a virus.

I think you should try to express yourself more clearly next time and don't CAPS if you want anyone to take your post serious.

Collapse -
Trane, Your Feelings Are Clear
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 19, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

Based on your post HERE, you will continue to champion the safe usage of BT. Clearly this is based on your usage and knowledge of the product.

Likewise, I will continue to champion the safe usage of BT and other P2P software.

We agree. Still, my experiences with all P2P products, including BT, indicate a large variety of accidental of purposeful misuses. (From not necessarily "stupid" people as you state, but just uneducated.) You stated: "You're trying to blame a protocol & program for its misuse". You're exactly correct. I see an extreme amount of misuse of the product and as such, I warn against the dangers of using them. Apparently, your comments about "no known risk", etc. seem to promote the apparent lack of risk.

You'll promote the use of BT because you feel it's a safe computer use and generally used legally.

I'll discourage its use because I feel it's an unsafe computer use and generally used for illegal purposes.

Obviously, we feel different.

Thanks for the great discussion.

Grif

Collapse -
Enjoyed it!
by Trane Francks / June 19, 2006 2:09 PM PDT

Fun to chat with you, Grif. Enjoyed it a lot. Not to poo-poo the risks, you know. I spent 2 hours cleaning spy-/malware off of my wife's machine after catching her mindlessly clicking OK on an "Install this ActiveX control" dialog at some site on Sunday. Joy. *GRINS*

trane (awfully glad to no longer officially work in IT)

Collapse -
A bit of torrent
by PKsteven / June 19, 2006 4:48 PM PDT

While reading this whole scenario, I don't think that Bit torrent is a virus in itself but it allows many to piggyback. I have had to deal with many people's computers who get viruses simply by using it to download a safe file. While I would do a scan on the file, it was not infected, but somehow viruses came along for the ride and were indeed their own entity in the matter. How do I know? They would go back and download the same file, since I would delete the whole lot, and accompanied were viruses once again.

I can't honestly say that it's knowledge that keeps people from getting viruses using it as many were fairly knowledgable people when it comes to security and pcs in general. I question how many can say it's not used for illegal purposes, if something is truly free, would we need Bit torrent? Probably not as it would be distributed among other means. Also, any free or legal sharing I have done has never needed BT or Kazaa or any other P2P. And I would argue that many who defend BT to the point of giving it godhood, are illegal downloaders\sharers anyway. <<(NOT ALL)but many.>>

No, I am not passing judgment here and I don't care what anyone does, after all, it's money in my pocket to fix it. All i'm saying is that a lot would ignore or try to sugarcoat the risks to get something for nothing. I get rid of a lot of viruses, spyware, etc... every year for people and the main causes are these, BT, Limewire, Kazaa and\or poor security measures.

So all i'm saying is, don't pretend BT is a safehouse as long as you have some know how, because it's definately not but let's not say it's the root of all evil either, it's simply how it's used.

Paul

Collapse -
T_T
by mike3954 / June 20, 2006 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: A bit of torrent

thanks,but i give up this is uslass if its not a relevent topic so dont botther posting anymore

Collapse -
one more thing
by mike3954 / June 20, 2006 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: T_T

i re downloade lates ver off www.download.com and it said some of there connecting sites were giving malcluis(viral(cant spell)) software so it infected because of one my download now i fixed it i declare this disscaution closed

Collapse -
Discussion closed, good thing I have a key...click...
by PKsteven / June 21, 2006 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: one more thing

While I can see your point that you can't spell very well and must be frustrating to say the least, I apologize as I didn't understand what you meant here.

Did you mean download.com's sites were giving malicious viral software or BT's connecting sites? Which download did you mean was infected? I truly want to know for my own informational purposes.

You seem a bit frustrated but if you are getting viruses from somewhere, it's good to let people know.

Thanks, Paul

Collapse -
Torrent screws with other things???
by Sammmas / December 6, 2008 5:28 AM PST

Could this possibly have stopped gamemaker being able to test games?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.