Speakeasy forum

General discussion

bipartisanship to bypass seqestration?

by Roger NC / March 21, 2013 9:05 AM PDT
http://projects.newsobserver.com/node/27186

Restores military funding for education for everyone enlisted.

I actually approve of the benefit, but I have to ask, what good was the entire sequestration if we overide cuts for individual programs? Will this be the first of many?

I heard one report I can't confirm the bill restored up to $4500 per year for tuition cost to everyone on active duty status.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: bipartisanship to bypass seqestration?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: bipartisanship to bypass seqestration?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
better to start with all cuts
by James Denison / March 21, 2013 9:14 AM PDT

then work backwards from there, instead of doing bit by bit on the other side.

Collapse -
There are quite a few
by TONI H / March 21, 2013 9:17 AM PDT

colleges that are offering free tuition for active military if they've lost their benefits from sequestration......I've seen a number of ads both on television and on the net from reputable colleges. Maybe this has embarrassed the WH and Congress as a whole enough to backtrack?

Collapse -
RE: free tuition
by JP Bill / March 21, 2013 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: There are quite a few

free to military?...with money redirected from other government money for other (non-military)students?

Professors/instructors donating their time for free?

Very little is free in this world...I've heard you complain enough about free stuff.

Collapse -
good public relations for those colleges
by Roger NC / March 21, 2013 9:50 AM PDT

since active personnel are going to be limited as to how many hours they can take a semester.

Still, it's good for the members, and almost all of them have earned whatever benefits they get.

Collapse -
Good for them
by Steven Haninger / March 21, 2013 10:03 AM PDT

We hear stories of past times when neighbors helped other neighbors in time of need. Maybe they'd bring over a meal and have a sincere and comforting conversation together...feeding the body and soul both. Now, we tell those in need to call the government instead of a neighbor. They send you a gift card so you can go buy some food. My how we've advanced as a society that helps one another. I think I've seen ant colonies that do a better job of it. Happy

Collapse -
Do you think neighbors and family can replace
by Roger NC / March 21, 2013 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Good for them

all the government aid for medical disabilities?

You know, reminds me all the time during this gun control debate, many are vehemently saying we don't need to punish good citizens, but need to keep mentally ill from getting guns.

Good idea actually.

But I haven't heard one explanation of what they are going to do to help mentally ill, just keep them away from guns. Lock them up again I guess.

There was a lot that was better when family, friends, and neighbors did all they could for the ill. Of course, many treatments we have now weren't known then, or were so frightfully expensive and rare that most never considered them. People offer comfort and support as you died. My wife might have had the tumor removed, but 25 years ago treatment wouldn't have been considered practical at her stage. Of coures in her case it turned out useless anyway, but in the past a lot of diagnoses all they could really offer you were pain meds (not even those as good as now) and advise you to put your affairs in order.

Now it is practical to face the fact we can't spend a million dollars on health care for ever individual. You can't have $1M care for everyone unless everyone pays in $1M sometime. The death squads kill grandma nonsense was fear mongering at it's worse. But how much do you spend on someone in failing health? for just another 1 to 3 years of life of questionable quality? Do you do a heart transplant on an 80 year old? People have got them at or near that age and done well, does that mean everyone should get one if one can be found?

I saw an ad, from an insurance company of course, that claims 1/3 of the money spent on medical care in this country is waste, from duplicate testing, unneccessary testing, ineffictual treatments given anyway, etc., more than the entire defense budget. Of course, the insurance company is trying to discourage testing and treatments that aren't well documented and tested to save money.

At least with my wife's illness and it's course, the insurance company gave us no hassel at all. Or almost none, here were the usual request for more documentation etc, but never as bad as many I've heard of coworkers and friends going through during an illness.

I know cutbacks have to be made, but to hear people say that those under xx age don't deserve the same consideration that has been there for those who have needed it the last 20 to 30 years I find callous and disturbing.

Anyone that wants to limit medicare and medicaid to $xx annual per person is fine, as long as they face the fact they are saying let them die in cases.

Collapse -
You hit on two important observations
by Steven Haninger / March 21, 2013 7:24 PM PDT

One is that we look at everything as having a price tag rather than some amount of effort. We have plenty of potential effort out there but little of it will be put forth without payment. Next you mentioned waste in medicine but I say there's waste everywhere and our economy thrives on it. I just had a prescription dose changed for thyroid medicine and I I'm to take that for a month and have a blood draw for a recheck. The dosage change was very small but it leaves me with a nearly full bottle of drugs that I may need to discard. Since the number of pills in each refill only covers one month, I'll need to get a second bottle to cover the time it takes for the bloodwork to come back. If the results show I need to return to the previous dose, I still have a wasted bottle of medicine and would have paid twice for the blood testing. To me it's wasteful of my time and money but it employs someone. We've too many people with not enough to do and that's why, IMO, we have an economy that thrives on wastefulness. Look at all the "green" efforts we've seen over the decades like less packaging, etc. It's only gotten worse. Why...because we need to find a way to generate paying jobs. There are even things we'd once have done on our own that we now cannot do without being taxed. We can't even spontaneously help others without being careful of some government regulation.

I've no viable solutions that would be acceptable. I only have my experience and observations over 40+ years of adulthood.

Collapse -
As long as we continue
by TONI H / March 22, 2013 12:06 AM PDT

in the mode of thinking that we are a 'throw away society' and that it's easier and 'cheaper' to buy a replacement than it is to repair that tv or radio or dishwasher, landfills will continue to grow larger, people will continue to be without work, and government will continue to take from those who DO work in order to 'provide' for those who don't even bother anymore.

Collapse -
some truth there
by Roger NC / March 22, 2013 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: As long as we continue

but it is often cheaper to buy a new one than fix one, unless you're an expert in the field yourself.

You might could take the tubes to the drugstore and test them 40 years ago, how many can troubleshoot and repair logic chip circuits?

And with surface mount integrated circuits that include the equilvalent of half a dozen circuit boards on one smaller than a penny part.

People who use to work on their own appliances and cars will tell you it's getting to where you can't anymore, too many electronics.

It's a sad fact that it cost more in time and labor to repair many things than to run another off the assembly line. Even sadder is that it cost more to recycle the materials than mind new ore, or more crude oil, and produce new material.

That has little to do with government taking away from those that do work for those that don't as you claim. In fact, how does it relate at all?

Being out of work because of new technology isn't new, would you roll back technology to where manufacturing was more labor intensive and new cost more than repair?

Collapse -
Government taking
by TONI H / March 22, 2013 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: some truth there

What I was referring to is the fact that manufacturing has gone away so badly from the US that replacement PARTS aren't available or are so scarce that it's gotten cheaper to replace an entire product rather than just a part now. With fewer and fewer people in the pool to get taxes from and no solution in sight with this particular administration at least, the government believes they can take more and more from the fewer and fewer.....and that means taking it directly from existing COMPANIES now because there aren't enough PEOPLE to take from now. This trend will continue until we get a leader who actually believes the strength of the country is in the PEOPLE and not the GOVERNMENT and doesn't just see those who voted for him as dollar signs. In this Prez eyes, people have become an agenda that is expendable, in my opinion.....easily replaced with an open border attitude.

Collapse -
How did you make out repairing your fuel float?
by JP Bill / March 22, 2013 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: As long as we continue

...Did you try and repair it or did you buy a new one. Probably not worth finding one in a scrap yard...IF you could even find one...the way Obama has sold all the scrap vehicles to China.

Collapse -
Buying a new part
by TONI H / March 22, 2013 9:43 PM PDT

(truck is in the shop right now so not sure where the problem really is yet), is not the same as tossing out the whole truck BECAUSE of one small part and having to buy a new one because it's cheaper to do the latter than the former.....at least not yet.......but hang in there and wait a little while longer and it might get to that. There is very little anymore that is being repaired as a whole unit (such as a television set).......even trying to replace a circuit board isn't worth the effort to a tv repair shop because those particular parts are as expensive now as a whole new tv. As for my float, that part can't be fixed and only replaced with a new one, if that's what it comes down to.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.