Computer Help forum

Question

BIOS sees only One drive at a time

by DManJC / March 29, 2012 7:45 AM PDT

The Original problem - the desktop PC continuously restarts when attempting to boot. The logo screen comes up, there is a single beep, then the computer restarts. This happens over and over; the time the logo screen stays up varies, sometimes the restart is immediate, other times as long as 15 seconds. I have been told it would eventually boot into Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit), eventually - I have not seen it do this myself.

After doing the normal things - reseating the RAM, clearing the BIOS (setting to Optimum Defaults), checking PS, etc., there is no difference. Attempting to enter Setup, it has the same restart problem. It does act like it gets better the more it warms up.

The m-board is a Biostar P4M900-M4 ver 6.1 with an Award BIOS v6.00PG with the P490M117.BS update (the only one available). The HDD is cabled to SATA1, one of the CD-ROMs to SATA2, the other CD-ROM to IED Primary, the Floppy drive to the FDD header.

In the "Standard CMOS", only the CD-ROM on SATA2 is listed. If I "unhook" the ROM, then the HDD is listed on SATA1, but it is the Only drive listed! It is also displayed on the Splash screen (?) this way, along withe the FDD as "Failed".

Other than reinstalling the Chipset drivers, I have no idea where to even start to fix this problem, I simply do not understand the how, or why what would cause this. But I guess that's why I'm here asking for your help ;-).

I will appreciate any help you can give me - TIA.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BIOS sees only One drive at a time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BIOS sees only One drive at a time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This seems a hardware issue.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 29, 2012 8:05 AM PDT

It could be the BAD CAPS issue. My guess is that replacing the motherboard (or maybe only the bad caps) solves the problem. Alas, replacing a motherboard often involves replacing the CPU and the RAM also, depending on how old it is, and in reinstalling the OS.

To be sure it isn't a Windows issue, simply boot from a bootable CD (like a Linux Live CD).

Kees

Collapse -
I have the CAPs turned off
by DManJC / March 29, 2012 9:49 AM PDT

My (bad) attempt at humor.

That's not exactly what I wanted to hear - a bad m-board. I was really hoping for some hokus-pokus magic.
I did do a visual inspection of the board during my troublshooting, saw no burn marks, nor swollen CAPs.
It will be 4-5 hours before I can try the Boot Disk, I will repost after - I didn't want you to think I wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the reply.

On another note - just joined the forum - I would have included a "link" to the m-board (etc.) if I knew there was a way to do it. Is there somewhere on the site that I may learn the ins-and-outs of how to post, etc.?
Thank you again.

Collapse -
Welcome to the forums. Remember that power supplies also
by Steven Haninger / March 29, 2012 10:09 AM PDT

have capacitors. I'm guessing the P4MXXX means Pentium 4 with on board sound so this makes it an older rig. Those would live on only 300w sometimes if you were gentle to them. But the warmup issue is one that's familiar to me. Bad caps will do that as well as bad solder or mechanical connections. Consider that heating and cooling causes expansion and contraction which can fracture connections and break down mechanical connections as well. You unplug and replug connectors, reform the female ends of molex type jacks, etc. If the PS is original and of the 300 watt or less range it's worth trying something newer and larger. Good luck.

Collapse -
BAD CAPS. That's not "capital" letters but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2012 10:12 AM PDT

BAD CAPACITORS.

Google BAD CAPS to learn what to look for but the symptom you shared is one of the known ones. (Along with this, you have to look for the BAD CAPS in the power supply and all cards.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
No Problem anylonger
by DManJC / March 30, 2012 4:17 PM PDT

Apologies it has taken me so long to post.

Kees - "boot from a bootable CD" was better advice than you'd think. I uncabled all drives except the DVD-ROM on SATA2, AFTER running a bootable disk, the BIOS recognized it And the HDD. Huh? It was like an address was re-established, I don't understand it, but it worked. Same results with the IDE drive. The data cable on the FDD was on backwards - that solved the FLOPPY error and the recognition problem.

I remarked it seemed to run better as it warmed up - I thought PS, so I plugged it into my "Powmax" ATX PS Tester - evidently it tests everything, but dead PS's as Good. (After that is when I made my post) I plugged in a known good 20-pin PS, the m-board is 24-pin, but even without the the 12v, after making the necessary adjustments (BIOS, etc.) the PC ran as well as it ever.

Thanks for the 'welcome' Steve. I'm aware of cracked solder connections, etc., but it's not the first thing that comes to mind when a problem comes up. In fact I don't do enough of this sort of thing to think of it all - unless someone reminds me.

I know what an (obvious) bad capacitor looks like, but per you suggestion Bob I Google "bad capacitors", and came across a useful list of syptoms caused by such - a lot of it is just as I described in my problem. Again - I never thought about a bad component on a daughter-card causing a boot problem. A number of years a go I had a bad experience with a capacitor the size of a beer can - I am apprehensive about open up a PS. ;-).

Thank each of you for taking the time to lend me you expertise.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.